82

Chest pain when eating rice.

paulwjsmith

1  
Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 02:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
Same here. Used to be mild but now i am afraid to eat rice again. 😕 I love the stuff but just cant swallow it any more. Last time was at Manchu wok and tried to wash it down with orange pop...lol...i was like a human volcano. Went back to the table to try again thinking it was gone but just got worse...back to the bathroom running...human volcano.

1  
Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 03:23 pm
@paulwjsmith,
None of my family or friends had that problem. As an Asian, unable to eat rice is like no apple pie for many. As a matter of fact, my wife and I were at a bakery yesterday where they had apple turnovers; ate a bunch in my younger days. Plan to go back there soon.

Alan1991

2  
Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:53 pm
@susief,
I had the same problem in my whole childhood. The fact that I am chinese doesn't help. I think it because rice absorb water in our stomach that cause heartburn. I tried cooking rice with more water and it helps. Also try eating congee and you wont have the same problem. Or try short grain rice, they are easier to digest.

Let me know if it helps.

1  
Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:55 pm
@Alan1991,
Used to room with two Chinese college students when I lived in Sacramento, and they always made congee. We had it with Chinese sausage.
Alan1991

1  
Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Haha, nice I miss congee.
ossobucotemp

1  
Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 06:06 pm
@Alan1991,
and I miss chinese sausage, here known as a general term as cheong, and I get that sausages vary there as much as they do re american sausages where I've lived. One of my favorite restaurant meals was a soup made with crisp tofu stuffed with cheong with a good broth.

This is a thread diversion, re the matter of eating rice.
So, back to congee....

vishal1

1  
Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2016 05:55 am
No problem with anything else

mceconferences

0  
Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 01:01 pm
@engineer,
go to any specialist doctor and check up your chest...

1  
Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 01:02 pm
@paulwjsmith,
You need to be checked out for rice allergy.

Colleen67

1  
Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2017 08:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thank u so much it makes sense out of what I felt was not normal thanks again for your blog post .
Bless you

Colleen

daplumma

0  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:48 am
@ChaunceyMcD,
Yes bro, just like that. I thought I was going to die. It was the most extreme measure I have taken in my life to abuse myself to get the rice unclogged. I literally thought "this is it" because my son wasn't even home. And I just finished a First Aid class and have saved two people in my life with Heimlich Maneuver.
That was months ago and happened a couple of times. I just had a few bites of rice tonight and it started to remind me.

Thank you for relating. I hope and pray that we can all help resolve each others problems without racial discrimination no matter who you are. Please, let us all come together.

Paul

1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 04:53 pm
I just read an article that in Japan many have allergy to rice. That's really tough, because that's the staple in Japan. Many eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I also remember when I was a kid going to summer camp, many of the Caucasians ate rice for their morning cereal with milk.

For tonight's dinner, we're having rice with fish cakes.

1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 09:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Lately I have been having rice with red quinoa. Really good.

LadyT59

1  
Reply Tue 16 May, 2017 12:15 pm
OMG....I thought I was about to have a heart attack when this first happened to me about 3 years ago at work! And then today, the same thing happened again....tight chest pains that move to the back and extreme difficultly in swallowing and YES, liquids make it even worse! It has happened on a milder version with grits, which are of the rice family but mainly the worst scenarios happen with white rice....not so much with brown rice.I'm so happy to see the many replies and the possible solutions as to what it can be. I definitely need to have my yearly physical and I will have the doctor check my thyroid as well. I work out everyday so I haven't noticed any weight gain issues.

kellydennis

1  
Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 04:22 am
@roger,
same with me

kellydennis

1  
Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 05:45 am
@alcemena12,
you are so right