107

Chest pain when eating rice.

spinecare01

-1  
Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 10:06 pm
@susief,
Rice often cause that. In fact my cousin had the same problem

pfrey

1  
Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 05:52 pm
I have the rice reaction too but mine is really weird. I only had the sticking sensation when I ate leftover rice. The first time I eat it I am ok but if I eat leftovers the next day I have the reaction. I have been free of this for 2 years now until tonight. I have been on a wheat free diet so I made a dish with rice flour in it. I immediately had the beef with the rice flour in it and got the chest pain and inability to swallow.
Can any one explain this?

Romeo Fabulini

0  
Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 05:58 pm
The muscles of the gullet like nice soft lumps of food, but rice is a mushy mess and the muscles can't get a good grip on it, especially if it's too dry, so they go into mild spasm creating a sensation of tightness in the chest.

vikramguliya

1  
Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 01:17 am
U shd try eating rice which is Fully cooked with more water that's like semi solid and chew it properly.

Tenebrius

0  
Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 05:24 am
@ChaunceyMcD,
Same thing happened to me last night. I've had that sensation of blockage before eating rice but this time, just like you i panicked and drank some liquid which made it worse and i finally threw up to relieve the blockage, was quite slimy as well :-( Didn't love that experience one bit.
Reha

-1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:25 am
@susief,
I am also facing same problem help please

joefromchicago

2  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 08:16 am
The diagnosis has already been given, multiple times, in this thread: the condition is either a hiatal hernia or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or both. Taking an acid inhibitor (Prilosec, Nexium, etc.) may relieve the symptoms. Consult a physician, as GERD has been linked to esophageal cancer. Severe cases may require surgery.
IWasWondering

3  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:56 am
This happens to me as well, very painful. Once I drank water behind it and that made it worse. Thought I was going the choke the death, very strange feeling. I really like rice, so whenever I eat it I have to eat it slowly. I solve the problem by not eating rice that much. :-(
Ecpower

1  
Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 07:56 pm
@karengail,
Me too. Rice ony. Tonight as a matter of fact, the worst I have had, with my chicken fried rice getting stuck past my breathing, and although I could breathe just fine, the spasms in my throat and into my back were horrific, and it just would not go down. I must remember to eat rice slowly and carefully and with liquid.

Ecpower

1  
Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 08:00 pm
@Tenebrius,
That is precisely what happened to me tonight.

eskimodoll

1  
Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:41 pm
Me too! It usually happens if I'm sitting on the couch or floor, thereby my esophagus is all contorted, while I eat rice so I try to stand, or at least sit up straight while eating rice. I try to remember to chew thoroughly and take lots of small sips. When it does happen, I have to run to the sink or garbage can because it comes back up in spurts.
I told my doctor about this. They ran some x-ray tests while I drank some nasty chalky stuff but they found nothing wrong that way. It seemed to have subsided after that so I didn't pursue it further medically.
I'll try to remember the hands over head trick and coke next time.

ajaneway

1  
Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 12:33 am
@spunk61,
A solution to this problem occurred to me in the midst of a reaction much like what most of the people in this thread are describing. I realized that the pain I was feeling was essentially a severe, unrelenting hiccup (pain from sternum to salivary glands, and on the verge of vomiting after eating some rice) and so set about employing the most effective anti-hiccup remedy I know: a spoonful of straight sugar, swallowed as dry as possible. Relief was immediate. Yes, chewing the rice well helps avoid the esophageal hyper-reaction, but now I have a backup solution to the problem. Try it! It certainly can't hurt, as it is quite literally a placebo, only one that works (for me).

carloslebaron

1  
Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2014 10:32 pm
@IWasWondering,
This happens to me as well, very painful. Once I drank water behind it and that made it worse...

Try drinking a soda. I know that is "unhealthy" but I think it helps better to make rice going down easily.

Carbonated water works very well in cases like the steakhouse syndrome.

onlineherbalpill1

0  
Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 05:07 am
@susief,
Well you need to check with esophagus for reflux due to acidity as if you consuming any type of food which is not soft may hurt the inner lining of esophagus.

Sweets1958

2  
Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:46 pm
I too have suffered from this for many years and only to eating rice. I had my worst attack last night. Felt like I was going to have a heart attack.
Tried to drink to help it pass but made it worse. Wanted to bring it up as I Could hear the gurgling in my throat. Worst thing was that I was out to dinner for New Year. ended up finally spitting the rice into a table napkin. As much as I love rice I won't be eating it while out in public again. So so glad that I googles this topic. Felt like I was suffering alone.

cheytown

1  
Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 09:47 am
@susief,
I too have this problem, no matter what type of rice or how it is cooked. I just stopped eating rice. The feeling is so horrible, it is just not worth it. YES< I know how to cook rice and I do chew it well... the feeling still happens. so I do other starches instead. Wish I really knew what was going on:(

cheytown

1  
Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 10:17 am
@ChaunceyMcD,
I have always heard that left over rice is not good for you, even if you do store it properly. I just resigned myself to no longer eating rice, since that horrible feeling occur every time I try to consume it.

mot007us

1  
Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 01:16 pm
@susief,
I don't have a problem with just cooked rice its when I reheat it that I have a problem , and sometimes with reheated noodles. I'm glad too read that I am not the only one who has suffered, I get really scared sometimes thinking that it will not going away.

mm21

1  
Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 10:28 am
couple of days back I swallowed steaming hot rice and from then there is a pain in the lower part of the esophagus close to diaphragm. Even when liquid passes it hurts. Could my epithelium got burnt or ulcerated? Pls help

jackhud3

1  
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 11:30 am
Wow...Brotheren....and I thought I was the only one
Bad as this particular condition is, it is twicely compounded when having a business dinner in South Korea with potential business partners!
Oh the excuses I have had to make for abruptly getting up from the table and dashing to the bathroom. It seems to cause an excessive amount of saliva for me. Happened to me once on a first date too...scared the s**t out of her Smile