Lets fight fat people!

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:35 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

. ....even the poorest of individuals can make better choices when given the best information.

Think of the millions dying each year from drinking too much, or taking too many drugs (including prescription). Heroin (laboratory-produced) is a lot less harmful than methadone, or massive doses of alcohol, or long-term abuse of junk food - hard to believe none of those addicted to any or all these substances continued to use them in excess due to lack of information.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:05 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

.....On top of my 8 hours a week of volunteer work I do for the local literacy/ESL program? I've started five food banks/soup kitchens in the last 20 years and only recently resigned from the one I was supervisor of for the last 6 years. I also run a full-time agricultural and ecological landscaping business ....

These are all admirable pro bono activities and it's hard to ask you to add another, but as far as economics are concerned (public and private finance) where you could make the biggest difference is by joining the fight in the title of this thread - and not get distracted by addicts railing against the poppy growers, the distillers, the food photographers, et al. Junk food may represent the highest single cost in our ridiculous "war on drugs", pursued in spite of overwhelming scientific evidence that there's a more humane (and far less costly) way to deal with those addicted:
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.canada.com/health/Heroin+better+addicts+recovery+Study/1909940/1909973.bin
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.canada.com/health/Heroin+better+addicts+recovery+Study/1909940/1909973.bin
http://www.canada.com/health/Heroin+better+addicts+recovery+Study/1909940/story.html
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:05 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Thank you for pointing out that I made a typo! I take it that making a second typo guarantees suspension of posting privileges on this site Smile

No... not the typo.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:10 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
...our ridiculous "war on drugs", pursued in spite of overwhelming scientific (and experimental) evidence that there's a more humane (and far less costly) way to deal with those addicted:

What IS that thing? When I click on your link, I only get a photo of The Thing.

Also, I agree that the "War On Drugs" is a gigantic waste of money, and a failure.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:12 pm
@High Seas,
I had been referring to the rats and junk food article when I mentioned I had been searching for it not long ago.

The superiority tone is self evident, High Seas, in a lot of your posts about the obese - the clear lack of sympathy for the struggle it is for some to even maintain weight, much less lose a lot of the fat pounds. It reached a high point with the crack about "not quite human", whomever the quote is from, when you are talking with people here who are dealing with trying to lose weight. The ongoing biochemistry (etc) questions do involve the human body now, whether or not obesity exists in "nature".
High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:12 pm
@BorisKitten,
There is a second link, BorisKitten, just below the first one............
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:13 pm
@High Seas,
Ah, got the 2nd link... Thanks.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:20 pm
@ossobuco,
You fail to understand what you're reading - sorry to see that, but other than suggesting that you read the same texts again I can't explain any more than I have already. True sympathy is shown by those who can propose solutions that WORK, as in being EFFECTIVE, not by those who would encourage addicts in their self-destructive practices.

Go ahead, tell junkies and drunks dying in our streets that you empathise with them, and to our junk food addicts that psychobabble will cure them - but if that's how you want to proceed, be aware that you're torturing these people under hypocritical and baseless pretences. I believe you're doing it unwittingly, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't bother addressing you - but make no mistake as to the ultimate consequences of your actions.
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:28 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
True sympathy is shown by those who can propose solutions that WORK, as in being EFFECTIVE, not by those who would encourage addicts in their self-destructive practices.

I must disagree here, that "true sympathy" is only "shown by those who can propose solutions that WORK."
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:44 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

You fail to understand what you're reading - sorry to see that, but other than suggesting that you read the same texts again I can't explain any more than I have already. True sympathy is shown by those who can propose solutions that WORK, as in being EFFECTIVE, not by those who would encourage addicts in their self-destructive practices.

It is you who misread me. I think there are metabolic processes in our biochemistry that make weight loss once a person has gained any substantial weight a hard battle to fight and I have sympathy for those fighting it. I certainly don't encourage self destructive practices - where did you see me say that?

Go ahead, tell junkies and drunks dying in our streets that you empathise with them, and to our junk food addicts that psychobabble will cure them - but if that's how you want to proceed, be aware that you're torturing these people under hypocritical and baseless pretences. I believe you're doing it unwittingly, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't bother addressing you - but make no mistake as to the ultimate consequences of your actions.

Continued misunderstanding of my opinions:
I may empathize with difficult battles, and further empathize with suffering, but I don't recommend psychobabble or hypocricy as any kind of cure.

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Continued misunderstanding of my opinions:
I may empathize with difficult battles, and further empathize with suffering, but I don't recommend psychobabble or hypocricy as any kind of cure.

Might you have missed the "unwitting" in my post? Have to leave, wishing you a Merry Christmas.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:50 pm
@High Seas,
No, I didn't miss that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:38 pm
Meantime, continuing happy holidays to all.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:16 pm
@High Seas,
WTF are you talking about? What planet are you from? Is your avatar the veiw from your space ship?

I help families with few financial resources feed themselves better. I'm not dealing with addicts. I have no desire to deal with addicts. The people I help all have jobs, the jobs just don't pay very much. They are not by any means all obese. Many of the women fall into the underweight category because they give the bulk of their meager food supply to their kids. If any of them have ever done drugs I wouldn't know or care. I am not against fat. I like fat. I cook with confit and lard. I eat raw, rich cheeses and butter. What I'm against is factory farming, processed food and government subsides that make crappy calories the cheapest. I think I'll go have a cracker with some leftover chopped liver to calm down.
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:36 pm
@Green Witch,
To calm down, GreenWitch, I go looking for a fight. Preferably with fat people. The fatter the better, in fact. Then I can really get trounced. I don't see what's wrong with fighting fat people, and Shewolf obviously knows this or she wouldn't have started this thread. Fat people aren't so jolly, after all... they like to fight. Or maybe fighting makes them jolly, who knows? I've never been conscious after fighting fat people so I've never seen the look on their faces, but I suspect that, once again, I am right. Yay, I win something! Gimme one of your crackers (sans the chopped liver, esp if it's leftover).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:36 pm
@Green Witch,
I think I'll pour a nice glass of wine. I'm waiting for my homemade borlotti bean chile to thaw...

Speaking of biochemistry, I remember reading that it is not so much fat that causes fatness (within reason, of course), as the metabolism of too many unnecessary carbohydrates - and, me, I choose to use monosaturated oils primarily and occasionally go to town on some good fatty cheese. What wards me away from it is expense. I might use real lard once in a while if I could easily get to the shop that renders it.. I haven't bought anything with transfat in it for at least twenty years, maybe more.

Oh, wait, I lied. I have bought potato chips within that time. I've mostly entirely totally completely and fully weaned myself from them (she protests too much), not least because most now taste worse than they used to with the trans fats, but also because they are stupid for me to eat. Alternately, I'm toying with making my own sweet potato crisps..
Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:54 pm
When I first saw the title to this thread I pictured something like this:
http://slowbreaker.com/images/20307.jpg

Mame you are welcome to some crackers. I also have some herbed goat cheese if you prefer that to the liver. Osso, I pretty much follow the Weston Price philosophy about fats - real fat is good, processed is bad. I get my lard from a local butcher who used to say he mostly sold it for bird food, but now as chefs asking for it. At first I was using it mostly in soap, but decided I like using olive and coconut oil better. I then discovered lard has it's place in the kitchen, especially since I own a lot of cookbooks that were written pre-1930.

You might want to try this really easy buttermilk cheese recipe that reminds me of the expensive stuff:
www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/buttermilk-fresh-cheese-recipe

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:08 pm
OK, I saved that to my desktop.
Now there's a present.. thank you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Keep working on those sweet potato crisps. It has potential.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 07:16 pm
@roger,
Well, I've a start, having a sweet potato already..

Here's one recipe - http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1950,148168-233193,00.html

This one catches my fancy..
http://ediblearia.com/2009/08/21/black-pepper-and-rosemary-sweet-potato-crisps/