Lets fight fat people!

Green Witch

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:42 pm
@High Seas,
There might be some studies out there, but I was never part of one - so I just don't know. It's true many of the people were in various stages of obesity or already had diabetes (some of them ended up in the program because of that). I'm sure just getting them to stop buying the Little Debbie cakes and soda was a good start. It was a private program started by a group of women like myself who were already into growing our own food, cooking from scratch and believing that even the poorest of individuals can make better choices when given the best information.
High Seas

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:18 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
.... I see people are puzzled ...to how I could have possibly been mistreated when overweight. It is like osso said, it is an ignoring, a dismissing. ....

But it ain't all in my head. See:
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jlatner/downloads/pubs/IJO-2008.pdf
www.yaleruddcenter.org/resources/upload/docs/what/bias/Bias-Discrimination-and-Obesity.pdf
Or you can go here and select weight bias: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jlatner/downloads/pubs/IJO-2008.pdf

As for specifics, I am sorry, but you are not going to get them from me. I am not going to lay out my pain for you, even to make a point. Thank you for respecting that.

Certainly no specifics were required, but since you've obviously reasearched the subject you probably know that both medical and statistical cost-benefit analyses show that by every quantifiable measure you're better off as a heroin addict than as a morbidly obese human. (NB this calculation is based on laboratory-supplied heroin where such distribution is legal - not "street" heroin, which is cut with contaminants). You're probably also familiar with addiction experiments like this recent one, on rats >
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/48605/title/Junk_food_turns_rats_into_addicts
> and you must know there's no such thing as addiction to food, per se, only to salt, sugar, or fat (unless naturally found in lean fish, meat, fruits, vegetables - no additives whatsoever). Medical insurers (that's an internal risk assessment calculation) would rather cover the annual $100,000 of AIDS drugs than take on a morbidly obese person of the same age, and that's before counting "externalities" like costs of reinforced beds, etc.

So, of course there is general resentment and bias on the part of the rest of society, as all your PDF files demonstrate - nothing surprising there. But ultimately I think what you, and Osso, and Thomas are referring to is what the NYT reporter wrote on the link I posted in an early page of this thread about creations from the"...Island of Dr. Moreau.... not quite human". But is that characterization truly so unfair? Obesity doesn't exist in nature, and all other diseases do.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:51 pm
@High Seas,
I'll skip the bit about "not quite human", High Seas: it annoys me a lot re the superiority stance/tone you take.

However, thank you for this -
High Seas wrote:
You're probably also familiar with addiction experiments like this recent one, on rats >
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/48605/title/Junk_food_turns_rats_into_addicts
> and you must know there's no such thing as addiction to food, per se, only to salt, sugar, or fat (unless naturally found in lean fish, meat, fruits, vegetables - no additives whatsoever).

I'd remembered that article or similar one and couldn't find it some time later when I was searching (however haphazardly) for it; had wanted to send a link for it to a friend.
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:20 pm
@High Seas,
Wow, that was a stunningly insensitive and unkind post.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:24 pm
@BorisKitten,
unfortunately, par for the course...
DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:32 pm
@Rockhead,
High Seas is one of the most subtle trolls around.
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:51 pm
@Rockhead,
So, is it true that A2K cannot ban a certain poster?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:54 pm
@BorisKitten,
a. it would prolly not be THAT one.

b. I just hang out here. they would be silly to give me any authority.

c. robert CAN do lots of things. (ain't seen a ban since I been here, coupla vacations, mebbe)
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:08 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'll skip the bit about "not quite human", High Seas: it annoys me a lot re the superiority stance/tone you take. ..

Twice I've referred to that article and both times made it clear it's a verbatim quote from an article in the New York Times. Link provided, too. What ARE you talking about in re "superiority"?
High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:10 pm
@BorisKitten,
Same to you too, Boris Kitten - it's a direct QUOTE, source and link PROVIDED. Normally posters here don't seem to require remedial English syntax and grammar - must be the new Sotomayor doctrine spreading from the Supreme Court.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:13 pm
merry christmas to you too, HS.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Thank you for reading more carefully - and judiciously - than the 3 ignoramuses dissemineting their nonsense here. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.
High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:18 pm
@DrewDad,
That's only if you use some idiosyncratic definition of "troll" known to you alone.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:19 pm
@High Seas,
You seem very angry.

That's OK with me. It may not be OK with you, eh?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:21 pm
@High Seas,
you mistake my comments for support.

(and careful reading Is very important)

prolly a good thing you shied away from medicine as a career...
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:21 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
dissemineting

Quote:
Normally posters here don't seem to require remedial English syntax and grammar - must be the new Sotomayor doctrine spreading from the Supreme Court.

0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
@High Seas,
you mistake my comments for support.

Just worth repeating.

High Seas, what's up? Were you abused as a child, or what?

Oh... never mind. I see your spelling.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:23 pm
@BorisKitten,
I'm not angry, just
1. distressed at obvious signs that at least one poster's eyesight has taken a turn for the worse, and
2. that posters previously known to me as both literate and numerate have suddenly been afflicted by political correctness blindness.

The latter definitely doesn't include you, though the former possibly does. Merry Christmas to you and to thread.
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:26 pm
@High Seas,
Ah, Merry Christmas to you too, dear. I'm not being sarcastic here, I really mean it.

And Merry Christmas to all of our A2K friends. I care very much for these people. Do you, too?
High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:28 pm
@BorisKitten,
Thank you for pointing out that I made a typo! I take it that making a second typo guarantees suspension of posting privileges on this site Smile