GIVE = Gifts of Anatomical Value from the Executed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:04 pm
People outside of Oregon might not remember the story of Christian Longo.

10 years ago, Longo murdered his wife and Children, ran away to Mexico, assumed the identity of a NY Times reporter, Michael Finkel, made the FBI's 10 most wanted list and was captured partying on the beach.

He was convicted and sentenced to die.

Over the years, the real Finkel and Longo have kept up a correspondence.

Longo wrote that after seeing the movie 7 Pounds that he was going to give up his appeals and let them kill him so he could donate his organs.

Finkel replied that it wouldn't be possible -- the drugs they use to execute a person leaves their organs unusable.

Now Longo has a reason to live -- he wants to change the way prisoners die.

This story is in the current issue of Esquire magazine (sorry, it's not on their online edition or I'd post a link).

I think this is an interesting idea but I doubt it will ever happen. I think people are too squemish about executions to allow brain death and organ harvesting from prisoners.

I'm curious about what you think!

Gala

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:07 pm
organs are organs. why would the recipient need to know they received the heart of a serial killer?
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:13 pm
This is a very interesting idea. Patients wait on a list for years and never see an organ they can use. I don't know the exact number of prisoners that die in a given year from capital punishment, but if this was a plan that instated, then I can see that wait on the list not being so long. As long as the organs, of course, were medically sound.

It's if nothing, a great way for the inmates to do something good for all the bad they may or may not have caused in their life.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:14 pm
In my opinion, it woud be fair
if murderers were killed in the same way that thay executed their crimes
e.g., a knife for a knife or run over by a car the same way, etc.,
insofar as is reasonably practicable.

After that, if the criminal chooses to donate anything, so be it.

David
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

In my opinion, it woud be fair
if murderers were killed in the same way that thay executed their crimes
e.g., a knife for a knife or run over by a car the same way, etc.,
insofar as is reasonably practicable.

After that, if the criminal chooses to donate anything, so be it.

David

That's a sure fire way to get everyone who hates capital punishment knocking down the doors of their local prison.

Though I agree, the punishment should fit the crime.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:36 pm
BRILLIANT!! This idea qould go far in preventing AN ORGAN GAP!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:12 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

organs are organs.
why would the recipient need to know
they received the heart of a serial killer?
OK, call it weird, but some of the folks who 've received organs have said that
thay inherited some of the traits of the donor.
For instance, one fellow on TV said that he abruptly acquired a yearning for Chicken McNuggets.
Upon investigation, it turned out that he got the heart of an unfortunate motorcyclist who was returning from McDonald's
with the McNuggets held under his jacket, over his heart when he fell to the Grim Reaper.
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I have heard of this as well. But I think it is a better option then going for a baboons heart or something.

People always have an option. Though I think that if I was present with a serial killers heart and another unknown amount of time on the donor list I would take what was readily avialable!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:08 pm
Larry Niven, sci-fi writer, warns of a time in the future in which organ harvesting from convicted criminals becomes more and more acceptable to a society desperate to prolong their lives...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
This is an idea that is only slightly less terrible than capital punishment itself. When the state both harvests the organs and provides the bodies, that sets up an unavoidable conflict of interest. As we see right now with China, the state's eagerness to harvest the organs of convicted criminals inevitably influences its decisions to charge suspects with capital crimes and to rush forward with their executions.
sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:02 pm
@boomerang,
If it's completely voluntary -- and as Cycloptichorn indicates, I'd want there to be some pretty strict guidelines to ensure that it's actually completely voluntary -- I think it's a great idea.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:46 pm
Well, many people eat organs such as livers, kidneys, etc as well as flesh from animals that have been "executed" so why the squeamishness? However the overriding argument for me is that capital punishment is wrong and should be abolished.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
There is always something to be gained immorally from the most moral and just causes. And sadly there is always someone out there looking for that thing. It's a horrible cycle.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@boomerang,
There's a way you could be executed and still be able to donate?

As far as I can see, that would mean having you in a hospital, killing your brain, and keeping your body alive for the time it takes.

My concern would be that it would come to act as a pressure to keep murdering people "legally".

Personally, if I were to be awaiting execution, I would like to think that something good could come out of it.....but not at the expense of lending any support to capital punishment.
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:54 pm
@dlowan,
Though this whole issue is a by product of capital punishment.
dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:09 pm
@Seed,
Yes....that is an interesting ethical factor.

I was just focusing more, I guess, on possible (I would say highly probable) effects.

Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:16 pm
@dlowan,
When ever life and death come into play the ethical factor always comes into play. When the ethical factor comes into play there are always people who take each side. There is nothing wrong with this. There are people who take the extreme left or right sides of this as well. I think this is where things go wrong. It's ok to have an opinion on something, and even feel strongly about it. But these people who go to the extremes are often the ones that mar the debate and skew it beyond belief.
JTT

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:28 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
But these people who go to the extremes are often the ones that mar the debate and skew it beyond belief.

I agree. If that damn Rosa Parks had just known that her place was the back of the bus, if those silly students from the north hadn't gone to Mississippi and stirred up trouble, [and don't get me started on James Meredith], we could all still be debating desegregation.
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@JTT,
Haha I see what you mean. If I gave the impression that no good ever comes out of those kinds of situations then I apologize. As you stated quite a few good situations, I was talking more along the lines of abortion clinic bombings.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:08 am
@JTT,
In Great Britain, in the 1970s, there were a number of miscarriages of justice where Irish people were given long prison sentences for allegedly carrying out IRA (Irish Republican Army) bomb attacks.

One group, the Birmingham Six, were sentenced to life imprisonment in 1975. The prosecution presented evidence that they had confessed, and also expert forensic evidence said to show they had handled explosives. They made 3 appeals, in 1976, 1988, and 1991. The first two were turned down, and their third appeal, in 1991, was successful. New evidence of police fabrication of their confessions and suppression of evidence led to the Crown withdrawing most of its case against the men.

The Court of Appeal stated about the forensic evidence that the expert witness Dr. Skuse's conclusion was wrong, and demonstrably wrong, judged even by the state of forensic science in 1974.

In 2001, a decade after their release, the six men were awarded compensation ranging from £840,000 to £1.2 million.

A famous senior judge, Lord Denning, said said that if the Birmingham Six had been hanged “we shouldn’t have had all these campaigns to get them released”. (He had been forced to resign in 1982 after saying that He said that "black, coloured and brown" people did not have the same standards of conduct as whites.)
0 Replies