THE IRREFUTABLE STUPIDITY OF SARAH PALIN

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:23 am
There is an old saying to the effect that, if you are stupid, you should keep quiet or you will remove any doubt of it. I guess Sarah never heard of this while growing up in Alaska.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-uygur/the-irrefutable-stupidity_b_382213.html

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,213 • Replies: 42

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:26 am
You can't seriously believe that something in the Huffington Post is gonna sway the legion (small though it be) of Palin worshippers, can you?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:58 am
I don't understand why there are so many Palin worshippers. I don't think she's dumb or anything, but I just don't see what she has that gets people excited. She was a lousy (in my opinion) choice of a VP candidate and she sure has not done anything to change my mind about her since the election a year ago. Oh well, there's no accounting for taste I guess.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:12 am
@Advocate,
1) You're largely preaching to the choir here;

2) That article merely belabors the painfully obvious.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:13 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I don't understand why there are so many Palin worshippers. I don't think she's dumb or anything, but I just don't see what she has that gets people excited. She was a lousy (in my opinion) choice of a VP candidate and she sure has not done anything to change my mind about her since the election a year ago. Oh well, there's no accounting for taste I guess.

It's the lack of other leadership options.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:32 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

1) You're largely preaching to the choir here;

2) That article merely belabors the painfully obvious.

Keep in mind that, with her book, etc., she is suddenly getting a spurt of media attention. It important that the public be made aware of all aspects of this mental pygmy. I guess the videos bring a lot out about her. We don't need a female version of Ron Reagan.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:47 am
And you won't get one, either. You must know very little about Reagan. After the HUAC debacle, he couldn't buy a role in Hollywood, and when his contract for Death Valley Days ran out, he was out of a job in the motion picture/television industry. He made his career after that as a motivational speaker to corporate audiences, and it was then, before his run for governor of California (encouraged by his new acquaintance) that he made the very important contacts which were to support his political career. The coterie of Orange County industrialists and investors who helped to finance his run for Governor and later for President just don't exist for Palin.

Whatever contempt you may entertain for Reagan is foolish if it blinds you to the undeniable fact that he had the contacts and the support to make him a viable candidate, first for Sacramento and then for the White House. Palin enjoys no such contacts.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 12:10 pm
@Setanta,
She's been working on those contacts for quite a while now.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/10/27/081027fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=1

Worth reading if you missed it the first time round.
Advocate

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:19 pm
@Setanta,
I was, of course, referring to Reagan's horrible performance. For instance, he introduced voodoo (supply-side) economics and taught the public they can have it all without paying for it. He basically taught the public that taxes are an evil thing. The result of these things is the immense national debt we now have. As you know, he took good care of his billionaire controllers, drastically lowering the income tax burden for them. He was a senile moron who was a disaster for the country.

Should Palin become president, I am sure that she will be just as terrible, but in somewhat different ways.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:51 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
Should Palin become president,

Please. Please don't entertain that as even a remote possibility. The mind not only reels, it boggles at the prospect. As a nation, we can be pretty dense at times; but I hope we haven't gone quite that far down the primrose path of self-destruction yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:00 pm
@ehBeth,
She'd have to go a hell of a long way to match Reagan's contacts and supporters.

Poor little Advocate, can't accept that he might be wrong. Listen, bright boy, you said we don't need another Reagan. I was just pointing out why we are very unlikely to be seeing that happen in the case of Palin. I am really not interested in your obsessional hatred of Reagan and all things "Reaganesque."
MASSAGAT

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 01:05 am
Of course, Palin is irremediably stupid. If she were elected, she would screw up the country even more than the most intelligent president we have ever had-BHO.
Palin's Job Approval Rating would fall much faster than President Obama's. He has fallen to a 47% approval rating but when the American Public wakes up and learns just how intelligent and far sighted he is, his Job Approval will jump back above 75%. It's just a matter of time!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
She'd have to go a hell of a long way to match Reagan's contacts and supporters.

underestimating her abilities in that area seems like it'd be a mistake - especially with the American conservatives still deciding which direction they're going - brilliant opportunity for her

I have no idea if she's instinctively good at the whole game, or if she actually has a plan, but I don't think her show is over yet.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:16 am
@MASSAGAT,
Good to see S. Cat's still on course.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:20 am
@ehBeth,
The point about Reagan as compared to Palin is that Reagan's political support came from friends he made when he was pursuing his career as a motivational speaker. Those men were his friends, and they would have remained his friends if he had declined to run, or if he had run and lost. You can't buy support like that, not with any coin. Palin is casting about for support from people who will expect her to make deals, to add this or that plank to any platform she may notionally erect. Reagan's supporters backed him because they knew him well, personally, and were confident that he would pursue a course of which they approved. Reagan didn't have to go out and hunt up supporters.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:24 am
@Setanta,
and what is Ms. Palin doing these days?

writing, making motivational speeches ... she's not buying - others are paying ... that whole buncha conservative cruise ship boys LIKE her

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:26 am
So . . . she still doesn't have anything like the support Reagan had, and she'd need to do that for 20 years to match what Reagan garnered without really trying--over a 20 year period.
0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:37 pm
The brilliant Mr. Setanta is trying to convince us that the Republican Establishment will, at this time, still consider the estimable and pleasant Mrs. Palin as a viable candidate.

I will, of course, point out, in 2012, that although Ms. Palin will undoubtedly be used as a rallying figure for some of the Republican faithful, she will not be considered for any job which is essential in the new Republican Administration elected in 2012.

And, as for her irrefutable stupidity, I am not aware of her IQ. I do know that some on the right equate right wing ideas to "stupidity". That is to be expected but, surely, Ms. Palin could never do worse than the estimable ladies that the President brought to DC with him--namely, the delightful Desiree Rogers and the advisor-Valerie Jarrett. Both of them have obviously been remiss in their duties. The proof is reflected in the President's rapidly falling Job Approval Ratings.

Ms. Palin is a "red herring" and any informed Republican knows it.
panzade

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:44 pm
@MASSAGAT,
Quote:
I do know that some on the right equate right wing ideas to "stupidity".

amen to that
MASSAGAT

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 05:48 pm
@panzade,
Yes, Panzade and some equate left wing ideas to "stupidity. Amen to that!