Proof of nonexistence of free will

guigus

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:47 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

'Numbers' are a thought, they are not any sort of 'entity'. They are a combination of characteristics and when used in their agreed upon form allow humans Be-ing to either agree/disagree upon a particular subject. Do you honestly believe that these 'numbers' somehow exist outside of you? Where the hell are they and how come we can't find them?

I neither honestly nor dishonestly believe numbers to be physical entities. I have just said they are abstract entities, and I regret you have a problem with the word "entity," which does not in itself mean anything physical.

JPLosman0711 wrote:
Why is it that you would like to defend the existence of these 'numbers' and their apparent contribution to yourself and the rest of society? Are you getting royalties from The Numbers Association of America?

I don't know what are "these numbers" you are talking about: I am just pointing out to you that numbers exist, whether you like it or not. Those entities exist and all you have today, including this computer you are typing your nonsense in, you wouldn't have if numbers did not exist. How many posts you issued in this forum? That's a number. Stop being ridiculous.
JPLosman0711

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:44 am
@guigus,
If my posts are so 'ridiculous', then why to you feel the need to respond/correct them? Have you no self control?

I do not 'have' these numbers and neither do you, you're just afraid to 'dive into' this thought because you don't think anyone will follow after you.

There are no 'numbers', period end of story. They are imaginary.
JPhil

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:52 pm
@litewave,
Then you're assuming free will is an action without reason.
JPhil

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:53 pm
@Ionus,
Even it is an action with reason, it's still wrong, maybe the wrong reason.
0 Replies

JPhil

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:59 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

so if there's no free will, is everything predetermined?

if so, what am i going to post next

Even if we everything is predetermined, it doesn't mean we know it and even we did know it, then it would have been predetermined for us to know it.
JPLosman0711

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:13 pm
@JPhil,
Either way, I don't think posting on a forum is going to change anything. - LOL
guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 03:33 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

If my posts are so 'ridiculous', then why to you feel the need to respond/correct them? Have you no self control?

I do not 'have' these numbers and neither do you, you're just afraid to 'dive into' this thought because you don't think anyone will follow after you.

There are no 'numbers', period end of story. They are imaginary.

Are your bank account figures imaginary? Can you "imagine" that you have ten dollars and go buy something with such an image? Can you change your age by adding ten years to it? You are making a complete mess: although numbers are indeed abstract entities (as I am already tired of repeating), they tell us something concrete enough about the objective world, which is why they have made it possible for us to change that objective world in ways that would be simply impossible without them. End of story.

As for being ridiculous, it doesn't mean being irrelevant. Hitler was ridiculous.
guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 03:37 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

Either way, I don't think posting on a forum is going to change anything. - LOL

At least not your mind.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 03:50 am
@JPhil,
JPhil wrote:

Then you're assuming free will is an action without reason.

Free will is action without a full determination, that is, action that cannot be fully traced back to a determinant cause. It doesn't mean it is totally random, which is as impossible as totally determined.
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:53 am
@guigus,
Your interpreting the world you live along side of as if it was who you are.

Stop 'echoing' the reflection of your projection and posting the 'findings' of your misinterpretations.

'Numbers' are a system of symbols 'we' use to get along with each other by finding security in our 'seeing the same world'.
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 09:45 am
@guigus,

Objective -noun

1. Not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.
2. Intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.
3. Being the object of perception or thought; belonging to the object of thought rather than to the thinking subject ( opposed to subjective).
4. Of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

1. Not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

Is there any statement you can make that you can honestly say wasn't influenced by 'personal feelings'? Are you not Be-ing the 'person' that you are? Who doesn't have 'personal feelings'? Everyone, and I mean everyone is prejudice. It's just most of them are good at hiding behind words like 'objective', or hiding behind Be-ing 'prejudice' as some'thing' negative. Based on facts? Unbiased? So the same person who is claiming to be 'objective' is the same one who claims his statements are unbiased? That seems a little biased to me. An 'objective' opinion can only be 'achieved' through agreement. If you lived all alone, not only would you not even care about being 'objective', you wouldn't even know what the hell it was.

2. Intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.

This one's really stupid. 'External to the mind', really? THE mind? Who's mind? Is there some sort of great 'mind' in the sky that we should all regard as THE mind? How the flyin' hell do you 'deal' with anything without using 'thoughts or feelings'? Are you supposed to become a robot, all for the sake of being 'objective'? Oh really, a 'person' is 'external' to the mind? Does that 'person' not have a mind/thoughts/feelings? Was that book not written by someone with a mind/thoughts/feelings?

3. Being the object of perception or thought; belonging to the object of thought rather than to the thinking subject ( opposed to subjective).

What isn't the objective of thoughts/perception? Isn't there always some sort of 'objective' of a thought/perception. Otherwise, what the hell are you thinking/perceiving about?? 'Subjects' do not think, YOU are thinking the subject.

4. Of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

What is there that cannot be known? If it 'cannot be known' then how the hell did you mention it in the first place? How the hell are you going to see what exists independent of thought, when you would have to use it to see what would be there without it? Has anyone ever seen anything without looking at it?

Seems to me that Be-ing 'objective' is merely an excuse to put Be-ing who you are on hold so you can pretend to 'Be' someone else in order to find temporary security.

There was another word in there that I'd also like you to take a closer look at.

Fact - noun

1. An event or thing known to have happened or existed
2. A truth verifiable from experience or observation
3. A piece of information: get me all the facts of this case
4. Philosophy - a proposition that may be either true or false, as contrasted with an evaluative statement

Now let's take a closer look, shall we?

Are there any 'events or things' that are NOT known to have 'happened or existed? If so, how would you even be able to reference it then? If ALL 'events and things' have both 'happened and existed', then why is it necessary to put it down in the dictionary?

2.A truth verifiable from experience or observation

Who is verifying what here? Also, who is labeling it 'truth'? The same person who observed it is the same one who labels it 'truth'? Doesn't that seem a little biased to you?

3.A piece of information: get me all the facts of this case

Couldn't any sort of 'information' be given the label a 'piece of information'? What makes it a 'fact'? Who makes it a 'fact'? The same person who originally labeled it so? Wouldn't it take some sort of agreement to make it a 'fact'?

4.Philosophy - a proposition that may be either true or false, as contrasted with an evaluative statement

Who is making this 'proposition' either true or false? The above statement already presupposes that 'everyone' is already coming from the standpoint of wanting what is 'true' instead of what is 'false'. However, there is no one that can accurately assure anyone of what is 'true' without an agreement being made of some sort. So if an agreement is necessary to achieve what is 'true'(fact), then couldn't we have technically agreed upon anything? So long as all we need is agreement here, why not?

Also, what statements are NOT evaluative? What is there in this universe that cannot be contrasted?

A 'fact' is a place that you refuse to think past. Either because it scares you or because you're afraid that if you 'go there', no one will want to 'come with you' and you'll be all alone.

Now I know you're just aching to dive onto that keyboard and bark at your computer screen about how it's 'wrong', but why do you feel the need to do so?

Why to you feel the need to correct text?
guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:55 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

Your interpreting the world you live along side of as if it was who you are.

Stop 'echoing' the reflection of your projection and posting the 'findings' of your misinterpretations.

'Numbers' are a system of symbols 'we' use to get along with each other by finding security in our 'seeing the same world'.

Please don't include me in your "we," which is properly quoted by yourself.
0 Replies

JPhil

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:59 pm
@guigus,
No I don't believe that, everything has to be either totally random or determined, we can't have this contradiction. Some randomness and some determination wouldn't make sense. Even if there were a little bit of each it would all still be determined because we would think we're not aiming at something but we really are. Take a paper ball and close your eyes and throw it at random. Well it was still determined because you pointed a certain way, held your hand up a certain way, and threw it in a specific direction(though your eyes were closed). Even if you spun around it would still be aimed because you know the room you're in or if you didn't know, you know it will land on something . Therefore it wasn't random it had aim. The action itself is not random because as you were thinking to yourself before you threw the ball, you try to predict were it might land(there you go aiming it).
guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:03 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

Objective -noun

Is there any statement you can make that you can honestly say wasn't influenced by 'personal feelings'? Are you not Be-ing the 'person' that you are? Who doesn't have 'personal feelings'? Everyone, and I mean everyone is prejudice. It's just most of them are good at hiding behind words like 'objective', or hiding behind Be-ing 'prejudice' as some'thing' negative. Based on facts? Unbiased? So the same person who is claiming to be 'objective' is the same one who claims his statements are unbiased? That seems a little biased to me. An 'objective' opinion can only be 'achieved' through agreement. If you lived all alone, not only would you not even care about being 'objective', you wouldn't even know what the hell it was.

This one's really stupid. 'External to the mind', really? THE mind? Who's mind? Is there some sort of great 'mind' in the sky that we should all regard as THE mind? How the flyin' hell do you 'deal' with anything without using 'thoughts or feelings'? Are you supposed to become a robot, all for the sake of being 'objective'? Oh really, a 'person' is 'external' to the mind? Does that 'person' not have a mind/thoughts/feelings? Was that book not written by someone with a mind/thoughts/feelings?

What isn't the objective of thoughts/perception? Isn't there always some sort of 'objective' of a thought/perception. Otherwise, what the hell are you thinking/perceiving about?? 'Subjects' do not think, YOU are thinking the subject.

What is there that cannot be known? If it 'cannot be known' then how the hell did you mention it in the first place? How the hell are you going to see what exists independent of thought, when you would have to use it to see what would be there without it? Has anyone ever seen anything without looking at it?

Seems to me that Be-ing 'objective' is merely an excuse to put Be-ing who you are on hold so you can pretend to 'Be' someone else in order to find temporary security.

There was another word in there that I'd also like you to take a closer look at.

Fact - noun

2. A truth verifiable from experience or observation
3. A piece of information: get me all the facts of this case
4. Philosophy - a proposition that may be either true or false, as contrasted with an evaluative statement

Now let's take a closer look, shall we?

Are there any 'events or things' that are NOT known to have 'happened or existed? If so, how would you even be able to reference it then? If ALL 'events and things' have both 'happened and existed', then why is it necessary to put it down in the dictionary?

2.A truth verifiable from experience or observation

Who is verifying what here? Also, who is labeling it 'truth'? The same person who observed it is the same one who labels it 'truth'? Doesn't that seem a little biased to you?

3.A piece of information: get me all the facts of this case

Couldn't any sort of 'information' be given the label a 'piece of information'? What makes it a 'fact'? Who makes it a 'fact'? The same person who originally labeled it so? Wouldn't it take some sort of agreement to make it a 'fact'?

4.Philosophy - a proposition that may be either true or false, as contrasted with an evaluative statement

Who is making this 'proposition' either true or false? The above statement already presupposes that 'everyone' is already coming from the standpoint of wanting what is 'true' instead of what is 'false'. However, there is no one that can accurately assure anyone of what is 'true' without an agreement being made of some sort. So if an agreement is necessary to achieve what is 'true'(fact), then couldn't we have technically agreed upon anything? So long as all we need is agreement here, why not?

Also, what statements are NOT evaluative? What is there in this universe that cannot be contrasted?

A 'fact' is a place that you refuse to think past. Either because it scares you or because you're afraid that if you 'go there', no one will want to 'come with you' and you'll be all alone.

Now I know you're just aching to dive onto that keyboard and bark at your computer screen about how it's 'wrong', but why do you feel the need to do so?

Why to you feel the need to correct text?

You are in desperate need for examples: if one guy goes against you to beat you, then you have a chance. But if a hundred guys go against you to beat you, then you have no chance. In this case, numbers describe the very objective difference between one angry guy wishing to beat you and a hundred such guys. Now try to convince them their number is just a symbol so you can "get along"...
guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:23 pm
@JPhil,
JPhil wrote:
No I don't believe that, everything has to be either totally random or determined, we can't have this contradiction.

Please read what I wrote carefully: I said precisely that neither total determination nor total randomness are the case.

JPhil wrote:
Some randomness and some determination wouldn't make sense.

Then the world doesn't make sense.

JPhil wrote:
Even if there were a little bit of each it would all still be determined because we would think we're not aiming at something but we really are.

Sorry, but what is the determination? To be determined is to be determined by something, and you forgot to say what it is.

JPhil wrote:
Take a paper ball and close your eyes and throw it at random.

According to you, I can't, but let's proceed.

JPhil wrote:
Well it was still determined because you pointed a certain way, held your hand up a certain way, and threw it in a specific direction(though your eyes were closed).

How does my doing things in a certain way makes the outcome totally determined by such way of doing things remains a mystery. Anyhow, even if you try to establish precisely the way you pointed the ball, held your hand, etc, you will find how hard it is, until you eventually realize you just can't: there is an intrinsic vagueness in those concepts.

JPhil wrote:
Even if you spun around it would still be aimed because you know the room you're in or if you didn't know, you know it will land on something.

Even if you were absolutely sure it will land somewhere (which you are not), you still ignore where it is. We are not sure even of past events: there is always room for doubt, at least if you are honest.

JPhil wrote:
Therefore it wasn't random it had aim. The action itself is not random because as you were thinking to yourself before you threw the ball, you try to predict were it might land(there you go aiming it).

Sorry: by no means my obsession for predicting things would make them totally determined -- it would at most justify some psychological treatment.
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:32 pm
@guigus,
Who was the one who witnessed this 'happening'? Also, who was 'reporting' on it and why? Who is this 'objective difference' being described to?

You're merely commenting on your own conceptualization of a 'possible happening' and hoping it will 'stick' as a 'fact' because it's 'plausible'.

Again, why do you feel the need to defend the existence of these 'numbers'? What are you getting out of it?
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:52 pm
@guigus,
If you lived your whole life all alone would you ever know of 'numbers'? No. So then where else could they have come from if not other people?(Being as they are not in the physical world)
guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:55 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

Who was the one who witnessed this 'happening'?

Which situation? One or a hundred guys? As far as I know, none happened, am I wrong? I suppose you were not attacked by a hundred guys... Or at least, I hope not...

JPLosman0711 wrote:
Also, who was 'reporting' on it and why?

Reporting on what? How do we report on a hypothetical situation?

JPLosman0711 wrote:
Who is this 'objective difference' being described to?

To you, child. I am describing to you the very objective difference between being beaten by one guy and by a hundred guys. Even if you were not beaten that way, I am sure you can imagine the difference, just like you can imagine "those numbers."

JPLosman0711 wrote:
You're merely commenting on your own conceptualization of a 'possible happening' and hoping it will 'stick' as a 'fact' because it's 'plausible'.

Isn't it?

JPLosman0711 wrote:
Again, why do you feel the need to defend the existence of these 'numbers'? What are you getting out of it?

Let me give you another example. To keep writing your nonsense in this forum you need an IP address (an Internet Protocol address), which is a number composed of four octets (supposing you are not already using IPV6), that is, four numbers in the range 0-255. Without such a number, which must be unique (forgetting about NAT), you wouldn't even have a working Internet connection (which wouldn't be that bad after all).
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:08 pm
@guigus,
Why 'surrender' who you are over to some imaginary numbers? I'm not about to give credit to 'numbers' for anything and neither should you.

You say that they have 'helped' us but it only appears that way. This 'helping' is illusionary, it came out of the 'positive' effect of human interaction. However that positive effect is only so because of the INITIAL 'negative' interactions. If everyone had just left everyone alone from birth, there wouldn't even be 'philosophy forums, schools, governments, houses, numerical systems, history, science, teachers, cars, concepts' or any other of this UNNECESSARY phoney bull-oney. You 'experience' the negativity of human interaction(the majority of 'life') in order to experience the 'positivity' of it. However, BOTH are illusions.

You are Be-ing, even as you read this right now. You are neither up nor down, black nor white, good nor bad.

You just are, and you are all that there 'is'.
guigus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:11 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

If you lived your whole life all alone would you ever know of 'numbers'? No. So then where else could they have come from if not other people?(Being as they are not in the physical world)

Read this:

http://www.futurity.org/society-culture/babies-count-before-they-communicate/