Proof of nonexistence of free will

g day

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 10:33 pm

Did that reply make any sense to you?
0 Replies

KnowNothingBozo

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:34 am
This entire thread made little sense to me; I had no idea exactly how far over my head it was possible for a discussion to go! I came in here to try to understand exactly what is meant by free will, since in my ignorance I had thought that it was difficult to deny its existence, though I realise that many people do deny it. I still have no idea what it must mean either to have free will; or not to have it; and as an added bonus, I now feel stupider than ever. I liked the quote from Goethe though, it was one of the few complete sentences I felt I fully comprehended!

Hello to all of you, anyway, I think I'll hang around and try to extend the scope of my ignorance even further, in the hope of one day finally being able to understand what you're all talking about, or at least being able to follow it... :-)
Lordie

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 08:04 am
Spinoza says there is no free will.Schopenhuaer implies the same with his "will"
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 08:39 am
@KnowNothingBozo,
You already understand it all, it's the convolution you're having a problem with. Philosophy on this forum is kinda like dealing with the IRS and clarity is the enemy of the IRS. ~ LOL
KnowNothingBozo

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:01 pm
@Dasein,
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dasein but I'm not at all sure that I do. I just read a book by Sam Harris (who I have never heard of before; and who is not referred to in any of the admittedly limited reading I have done; nor does he refer much to the literature I have come across, so I don't know how much weight I should give his arguments) calling for a scientific approach to moral realism. I enjoyed the book and thought a lot of what he said has merit, but when he claimed to have proof from neurology that free will doesn't exist, I got a bit confused. I'm not sure how someone can say on the one hand that we have moral responsibilities; while on the other hand denying that our conciousness influences our thoughts and behaviour. Either I totally missed his point, or he was being self-contradictory.
Dasein

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:03 am
@KnowNothingBozo,
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dasein but I'm not at all sure that I do.

What I said has nothing to do with confidence. You are in the process of uncovering what you know. Confusion can only happen when what you 'assume to know' (believe) gets questioned to the point that you re-investigate what you assume and uncover what you know. Confusion is your way of letting you know that you don't 'know' what the hell you are talking about. Confusion is to be embraced and not avoided or ignored. Once you get past confusion and doubt, 'knowing' shows up. When I said “you already understand” I meant you already know. You just don't know that you already know, which is why you have to uncover what you know.
north

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:33 pm

there isn't any , really

0 Replies

guigus

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:54 pm
@KnowNothingBozo,
KnowNothingBozo wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dasein but I'm not at all sure that I do. I just read a book by Sam Harris (who I have never heard of before; and who is not referred to in any of the admittedly limited reading I have done; nor does he refer much to the literature I have come across, so I don't know how much weight I should give his arguments) calling for a scientific approach to moral realism. I enjoyed the book and thought a lot of what he said has merit, but when he claimed to have proof from neurology that free will doesn't exist, I got a bit confused. I'm not sure how someone can say on the one hand that we have moral responsibilities; while on the other hand denying that our conciousness influences our thoughts and behaviour. Either I totally missed his point, or he was being self-contradictory.

He was being self-contradictory.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:08 pm
@Dasein,
Dasein wrote:

Quote:

What I said has nothing to do with confidence. You are in the process of uncovering what you know. Confusion can only happen when what you 'assume to know' (believe) gets questioned to the point that you re-investigate what you assume and uncover what you know. Confusion is your way of letting you know that you don't 'know' what the hell you are talking about. Confusion is to be embraced and not avoided or ignored. Once you get past confusion and doubt, 'knowing' shows up. When I said “you already understand” I meant you already know. You just don't know that you already know, which is why you have to uncover what you know.

That's confusion!
north

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:10 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Dasein wrote:

Quote:

That's confusion!

inotherwords be more aware of what your thinking

thats my take
guigus

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:13 pm
@north,
north wrote:

guigus wrote:

Dasein wrote:

Quote:

That's confusion!

thats my take

A priest doesn't want to make you think -- let alone make you aware of what you think -- he wants to convert you.
north

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:22 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

north wrote:

guigus wrote:

Dasein wrote:

Quote:

That's confusion!

thats my take

A priest doesn't want to make you think -- let alone make you aware of what you think -- he wants to convert you.

true
guigus

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 04:17 am
@north,
north wrote:

guigus wrote:

north wrote:

guigus wrote:

Dasein wrote:

Quote:

That's confusion!

thats my take

true

And some philosophers (a sad majority of them) are disguised priests, despite struggling -- sometimes desperately -- to be not (and Heidegger is one that does not struggle that hard).
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:29 am
@north,
Quote:
"inotherwords" you are your thinking!!!!
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 01:26 pm
Got brainz? This blond sure does and she speaks about free will as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVcj3BAes04&feature=related
guigus

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 05:09 am
@Dasein,
Dasein wrote:

Quote:
"inotherwords" you are your thinking!!!!

You are confusing Heidegger with Descartes.
0 Replies

Jakartaman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
@litewave,
Predetermination is the norm interrupted by free will decision/actions.
north

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 07:20 pm
@Jakartaman,
Jakartaman wrote:

Predetermination is the norm interrupted by free will decision/actions.

agreed
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:28 pm
@Dasein,
Yes, you are the CONSTANT conversation being had with your 'self'. It is just unfortunate that most 'think' that their 'thinking' has to 'fit in'....
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 12:29 am
@reasoning logic,
She is a bit amateur and informal on oversimplifying some stuff but she more or less gets it...
0 Replies