Proof of nonexistence of free will

Arjuna

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 07:30 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

1. Possibility, whatever it is, must be different from actuality, since there are possibilities that are not yet actualities and may never be -- non-actual possibilities.

This is a description of how we imagine events.

Imagine time as a stream of events. We imagine that each of them existed in a phantom state prior to emerging as an actuality. We call this state possibility. We further imagine that possibilities come in groups. When you roll a die, there are six possibilities. Prior to the die landing, we say each number has a 1/6 chance of appearing face up.

Now consider the total set of actualities throughout all of time past, present, and future.

What happened to the possibilities that didn't become actual? What we imagine is that they remain locked in the phantom state. We are conscious of them when we consider what could have happened. What we're considering is that which didn't happen. We're considering something that's not real.

The crux of the matter is what it means to talk about what MAY happen, when we believe that out of all the things that MAY happen, only one of them will.

In other words, speaking purely phenomenologically, our imagination is in conflict. At one point we say 6 things MAY happen. The next, we say only 1 thing WILL happen. See what I mean?

And it only becomes more convoluted... it's like this: let's say the 5 appears face up when the die lands. This proves that it wasn't possible for the other numbers to appear face up. Think about it.

What's revealed here is that the nonactualized possibilities were really... drumroll... impossibilities. We were wrong when we said every number had a 1/6 chance of appearing face up. The truth is that one number had a 100% chance and all the others had 0%.

Looking back at the total set of actualities we call reality... isn't it true that each of them had a 100% chance of happening?

And this leads us to the real reason we think in terms of possibility. It has to do with prediction. If we considered that everything that happens has a 100% chance of happening... we'd realize that we have no knowledge of what is to come. All we could say about rolling dice is that some unknown number has a 100% chance, but we don't know which number it is.

This facet of our existance is demonstrated when someone says: "I'll be there at 5:00... God willing. They're dropping that allusion to providence as acknowledgement of the limits of their knowledge. We can never know all the variables involved in the simplest of events.

Saying that the die has a 1/6 chance is reference to some type of knowledge. We may say it's entirely empirical... that's baloney... no it's not. Who sits down and rolls dice 1000 times to learn this? So the question is... why do we have so much confidence that we know something about future events?
tomr

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 08:37 pm
@guigus,
On Possibility:

Quote:
Sorry, but I must ask you where did I champion possibility "as something that speaks to alternative realities completely apart from the world we are in"? I am just asserting that possibility exists, that's all.

I was not specifically talking about what you wrote, but responding to your dialog when Fil Albuquerque said:
Quote:
A possible Truth is not a Truth because possible does n´t mean it has/must occur, at least not in this Universe (maybe in a parallel Universe) but it just simply means it can eventually occur...

This made me think of the way some people have described alternative realities that were automatically assumed to be equally able to exist along side this universe without really considering the greatness of the problem of why and how this could possibly happen.
Quote:
Sorry, but where did I ever mention randomness? And where did I champion possibility as randomness? I referred to certainty: certainties are always subject to doubt, that's what I said.

One of the particular alternate realities that came to mind described a totally random. This "possible" universe was being used hand in hand with the actual universe.
Quote:
This is just a disguised form of determinism, by which the old Laplace demon would know everything that will happen if he just knew a complete state of that wonderful "universe" of yours. Quantum physics already found that uncertainty is not a consequence of our ignorance, but an inherently feature of nature itself. Are you saying that you know better than Heisenberg?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that a particles position and momentum (velocity * mass) cannot be known at the same time. This principle can be seen when a particle is struck by a photon (also an electromagnetic wave or electromagnetic field). In that collision the photon will transfer its momentum to the particle by interaction between the electromagnetic field that is the photon and the electric field or electromagnetic field of the particle. Then through the exchange the electromagnetic field coming from the particle can be detected and seen because it is light.

An electromagnetic wave is composed of electric and magnetic fields that alternate in strength over time. This is why it is called a wave. But this wave always comes from a charged particle like an electron. The wave is the effect produced when an electron is accelerated. Electrons become accelerated when the electric or electromagnetic field of one interacts with the field of another electron or other charged particle. So by accelerating electrons we can produce light and this light, photons or electromagnetic waves, can strike another electron and that electron can be detected. Yet because of these laws of interaction of the electric and electromagnetic fields between particles we must always change its momentum or its position when detecting that electron. So there is no reason to take the fundamental nature of particles as indetermined. It is very easy to see that nothing in the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle gives us reason to make these interactions fundamentally statistical.

In addition to the basic interaction that happens between charged particles and fields, there is another often sited example that tries to explain away with detemined physical laws. The double slit experiment is one where two close together slits are cut into some thin material and light or electrons are made to pass through the two slits and then the positions of the light or electrons are detected over a time on a fluorescent screen. This experiment is often interpreted as showing proof that electrons, or any charged particle, behaves in an indeterminate way because they produce an interference pattern that would usually be thought to be made by something wave-like in nature. In addition, this pattern is thought to only be able to be made because electrons, or any charged particle, is interfering with itself through both slits at the same time. This is since the interference pattern still exists when only one electron at a time is passed through the slits.

Though I cannot explain precisely why this happens. I take it to be a lack of understanding about the laws governing the electrons in the test or the application of the laws to the experiment. I would instead of giving up on a comprehensive understanding of how things work, say that because electrons produce electromagnetic waves and operate on laws of interaction between their fields so that as the electrons come in close contact with the electrons in the atoms of the material surrounding the slits that a pattern might be created as a result of these interactions. There is alot going on around a couple of slits in respect to the size and shear number of atomic and subatomic particles (Not to mention the unknown complexity of the makeup of individual atoms). So to take all the complexity involved in an experiment like this and reduce it to evidence of the statical nature of the quantum realm shows only a lack of the creative ability needed to resolve these phenomena into their underlying physical laws.

In response to your question do I know better than Heisenburg, if it is true Heisenburg interpreted his principle in the way you do, as evidence that fundamentally the universe is statistical in nature, then in this aspect I do know better than him. So did Einstein.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:07 pm
@tomr,
I do hope he (Heisenberg) is wrong, but don´t certainly state to know better then him...you should n´t to...it takes time to get there, and luck ! Wink
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:19 pm
@tomr,
tomr wrote:

On Knowledge:

Quote:
You are creating a problem where there is none: there is no need to "prove" there is an objective reality. Why? Because the concept of knowledge is unconceivable without it (which is the reason you felt compelled to agree with my assertion that "there is no knowledge without an object of knowledge"). The very concept of knowledge presupposes an object of knowledge -- it must be knowledge of something -- which is inherently objective. It is useless to say that our "contact" with the object (if there is such a thing) is mediated by sensations, representations, or whatever. This is not the point. The point is that, no matter how, by the very definition of knowledge:

1. It is knowledge of something.
2. That something is inherently objective -- passive rather than active.

If you say, like you are saying, that we only know what is inside our minds, you just move objects into your mind, hence objectifying it -- what a mess, as our minds are the place of subjectivity, not objectivity. However, I understand your insistence: we are in scientific times, so it is just natural that you see your mind as an external object.

The reason I agree with you that "there is no knowledge without an object of knowledge" is because I do think something is needed to trigger sensations that lead to knowledge.

The reason why you agree with me is that knowledge must be the knowledge of something, and even if knowledge refers to that something by means of a representation -- a memory, an image, a sensation, or anything like that -- it still refers to the object of that representation, rather than referring to that representation itself. By referring to the representation of its object -- rather than to that object by means of its representation -- knowledge would convert such a representation into an object -- not a represented object, but an present one -- hence destroying it as a representation. Such is the objectification of the mind I was referring to: knowledge always refers to an external object, and no mediation of representations can ever change that.

tomr wrote:
I do not believe we are a closed system feeding ourselves stimuli or perceptions.

Good for you.

tomr wrote:
But where I disagree is with the insistence that I can "move objects into the mind" taking our sensations to be equivalent to those objects.

My insistence is not in that you can move objects into the mind: you can't. Or, if you can, it is only by making the regretful mistake of taking the representation of an object for that object, hence objectifying its representation, to which knowledge now refers as if it were the object of knowledge itself, rather than its representation. This is the mistake you are making when you say that we "can experience nothing but our own minds" (http://able2know.org/topic/138901-21#post-4368565): regardless of referring to an object by means of a representation, knowledge still refers to that object, and never to its representation -- or that representation loses its transparency, ceases to be subjective, and becomes itself an object.

tomr wrote:
Because I see the cases I describe of people with different sensational experiences to be evidence that our perceptions are not consistent or universal translations of this objective reality. So I cannot hold the view that I can take objects into my mind.

Once again, I am not asking you to hold the view that you can take objects into your mind: I am asking you to stop mistakenly moving objects into your mind, which is what you do by holding that perceptions are themselves the objects of knowledge. By holding that, you transform perceptions into their objects, and utterly knowledge into its object.

Regarding "people with different sensational experiences," for this to be an "evidence that our perceptions are not consistent or universal translations of this objective reality" (what objective reality?) we must believe an objective reality that is absolutely unique and the same for all, but according to you we should not believe that, since all we have are our perceptions, correct? So your argument is based on what you are trying to deny.

tomr wrote:
I do not believe there is any further reason to debate this topic. I will continue to hold my definition and you yours. But I think we understand the way we talk about knowledge well enough to know what the other is thinking when we use it.

Sorry, but I don't think you understand my point, which is why I keep trying to explain it to you.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:28 pm
@guigus,
You are far to clever for us... Wink
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:44 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

guigus wrote:

1. Possibility, whatever it is, must be different from actuality, since there are possibilities that are not yet actualities and may never be -- non-actual possibilities.

This is a description of how we imagine events.

Imagine time as a stream of events. We imagine that each of them existed in a phantom state prior to emerging as an actuality. We call this state possibility. We further imagine that possibilities come in groups. When you roll a die, there are six possibilities. Prior to the die landing, we say each number has a 1/6 chance of appearing face up.

Now consider the total set of actualities throughout all of time past, present, and future.

What happened to the possibilities that didn't become actual? What we imagine is that they remain locked in the phantom state. We are conscious of them when we consider what could have happened. What we're considering is that which didn't happen. We're considering something that's not real.

The crux of the matter is what it means to talk about what MAY happen, when we believe that out of all the things that MAY happen, only one of them will.

In other words, speaking purely phenomenologically, our imagination is in conflict. At one point we say 6 things MAY happen. The next, we say only 1 thing WILL happen. See what I mean?

And it only becomes more convoluted... it's like this: let's say the 5 appears face up when the die lands. This proves that it wasn't possible for the other numbers to appear face up. Think about it.

What's revealed here is that the nonactualized possibilities were really... drumroll... impossibilities. We were wrong when we said every number had a 1/6 chance of appearing face up. The truth is that one number had a 100% chance and all the others had 0%.

Looking back at the total set of actualities we call reality... isn't it true that each of them had a 100% chance of happening?

And this leads us to the real reason we think in terms of possibility. It has to do with prediction. If we considered that everything that happens has a 100% chance of happening... we'd realize that we have no knowledge of what is to come. All we could say about rolling dice is that some unknown number has a 100% chance, but we don't know which number it is.

This facet of our existance is demonstrated when someone says: "I'll be there at 5:00... God willing. They're dropping that allusion to providence as acknowledgement of the limits of their knowledge. We can never know all the variables involved in the simplest of events.

Saying that the die has a 1/6 chance is reference to some type of knowledge. We may say it's entirely empirical... that's baloney... no it's not. Who sits down and rolls dice 1000 times to learn this? So the question is... why do we have so much confidence that we know something about future events?

Sorry, but it is your reasoning that is convoluted: you are just projecting actuality back. Any actuality must be possible, or it becomes impossible, hence no longer an actuality. And being possible is the same as being possibly true. So, as being possibly true means also being possibly false, an actuality must be possibly false, for it must be possibly true. But an actuality must not be possibly false, or it would cease to be an actual truth. However, by being possibly false, it still contains all possibilities that would have been destroyed were it not also a possibility: these possibilities are destroyed in the light of actuality, but not in the light of the necessary possibility of that actuality, which is why you cannot project actuality back so as to retrospectively say that those possibilities never existed.
tomr

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:56 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Don't get me wrong. I really respect the work of Heisenberg and other supporters of this Interpretation especially Niels Bohr and his model of the atom. I really appreciate the difficulty of what they did and I do not claim to compare to them in their knowledge of physics. But when it comes to this philosophic problem of whether the nature of the universe is statistical or determined, I know enough of these principles to tell you there is no reason to assume that statistics is the answer. Its as if because of the greatness of these names alone that regardless of having no real reason for the interpretation it is just accepted. So I really do think in respect to who's interpretation is right mine or theirs that I know better than they did.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:57 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
So, as being possibly true means also being possibly false, an actuality must be possibly false, for it must be possibly true.

Pandemonium !!! Mr. Green

Possible true or false to whom ?
(the way you said it, you are referring not the thing but the one who asks)
because in itself either is possible or impossible...
Man...you need strong coffee !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 10:03 pm
@tomr,
Listen...I am 36...I give some thought to this questions for more then 2 decades...
I tell you, its a dodgy issue...now, I have exactly the same opinion you do, I am a convinced Hard Determinist, and still...I find always space to question myself...
...for instance, Infinity is a problem, and duality another...

Take care !
Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 10:42 pm
@tomr,
tomr wrote:

On Possibility:

Quote:
Sorry, but I must ask you where did I champion possibility "as something that speaks to alternative realities completely apart from the world we are in"? I am just asserting that possibility exists, that's all.

I was not specifically talking about what you wrote, but responding to your dialog when Fil Albuquerque said:
Quote:
A possible Truth is not a Truth because possible does n´t mean it has/must occur, at least not in this Universe (maybe in a parallel Universe) but it just simply means it can eventually occur...

This made me think of the way some people have described alternative realities that were automatically assumed to be equally able to exist along side this universe without really considering the greatness of the problem of why and how this could possibly happen.
Quote:
Sorry, but where did I ever mention randomness? And where did I champion possibility as randomness? I referred to certainty: certainties are always subject to doubt, that's what I said.

One of the particular alternate realities that came to mind described a totally random. This "possible" universe was being used hand in hand with the actual universe.
Quote:
This is just a disguised form of determinism, by which the old Laplace demon would know everything that will happen if he just knew a complete state of that wonderful "universe" of yours. Quantum physics already found that uncertainty is not a consequence of our ignorance, but an inherently feature of nature itself. Are you saying that you know better than Heisenberg?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that a particles position and momentum (velocity * mass) cannot be known at the same time.

In fact, this was just a preliminary form of today's HUP, which states that any attribute has another, conjugate attribute, and no matter how hard you try, the mutual measurement error of the two never falls below a certain natural limit. Position and momentum are just a particular case of such conjugate attributes.

tomr wrote:
This principle can be seen when a particle is struck by a photon (also an electromagnetic wave or electromagnetic field). In that collision the photon will transfer its momentum to the particle by interaction between the electromagnetic field that is the photon and the electric field or electromagnetic field of the particle. Then through the exchange the electromagnetic field coming from the particle can be detected and seen because it is light.

An electromagnetic wave is composed of electric and magnetic fields that alternate in strength over time. This is why it is called a wave. But this wave always comes from a charged particle like an electron. The wave is the effect produced when an electron is accelerated. Electrons become accelerated when the electric or electromagnetic field of one interacts with the field of another electron or other charged particle. So by accelerating electrons we can produce light and this light, photons or electromagnetic waves, can strike another electron and that electron can be detected. Yet because of these laws of interaction of the electric and electromagnetic fields between particles we must always change its momentum or its position when detecting that electron. So there is no reason to take the fundamental nature of particles as indetermined. It is very easy to see that nothing in the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle gives us reason to make these interactions fundamentally statistical.

What you are describing is known as the "disturbance model" of quantum physics, which even today some physicists invoke trying to reconcile quantum physics with classical physics. Unfortunately, that model is just wrong, and no physicist working in the field of quantum physics itself invokes it, since s/he knows better. The source of the uncertainty when we measure conjugate attributes does not come from the "disturbance" one particle causes onto the other, hence introducing a measurement error: it comes from the nature of conjugate attributes itself, and is just enough to protect the wave/particle duality. One good example is the Airy Experiment: a hole through which light passes. This experiment is an example of a "perfect quantum measurement," one in which we get all the information there is to get about what is happening, without having any "disturbance" to blame uncertainty on. The math shows that the smaller the hole, the more the beam of light diffracts, hence the greater the sidewise momentum of a photon. The smaller the hole, the better you know the position of the photon when it passes through the hole, but the worse you know its sidewise momentum, since it spreads over an ever large area of probable impact with the phosphor screen ahead. The reason why it spreads is that it is a wave (of probability), and the reason why it crashes into the screen is that it is a particle. However, you cannot use the particle description until it crashes into the screen, and you can no longer use the wave description once it crashes.

tomr wrote:
In addition to the basic interaction that happens between charged particles and fields, there is another often sited example that tries to explain away with detemined physical laws. The double slit experiment is one where two close together slits are cut into some thin material and light or electrons are made to pass through the two slits and then the positions of the light or electrons are detected over a time on a fluorescent screen. This experiment is often interpreted as showing proof that electrons, or any charged particle, behaves in an indeterminate way because they produce an interference pattern that would usually be thought to be made by something wave-like in nature. In addition, this pattern is thought to only be able to be made because electrons, or any charged particle, is interfering with itself through both slits at the same time. This is since the interference pattern still exists when only one electron at a time is passed through the slits.

Though I cannot explain precisely why this happens.

Regardless the explanation, the only possible description of what happens is that the electron is a wave of probability before hitting the screen, upon which it becomes a particle: this is the only description that fits the facts, by mathematically describing them.

tomr wrote:
I take it to be a lack of understanding about the laws governing the electrons in the test or the application of the laws to the experiment. I would instead of giving up on a comprehensive understanding of how things work, say that because electrons produce electromagnetic waves and operate on laws of interaction between their fields so that as the electrons come in close contact with the electrons in the atoms of the material surrounding the slits that a pattern might be created as a result of these interactions. There is alot going on around a couple of slits in respect to the size and shear number of atomic and subatomic particles (Not to mention the unknown complexity of the makeup of individual atoms). So to take all the complexity involved in an experiment like this and reduce it to evidence of the statical nature of the quantum realm shows only a lack of the creative ability needed to resolve these phenomena into their underlying physical laws.

I see you are not quite familiar with that stuff, but I can save you a lot of time. Have you ever heard about EPR? EPR stands for the "Einstein-Podolsky-Ronsen" paradox, which haunted physicists for decades, until John Stuart Bell finally solved it. For that feat, John Bell became known as the man who "proved Einstein wrong." Bell put an end on any possibility of local realism, which is what you are still holding to. I suggest you read the book "Quantum Reality" by Nick Herbert, which explains Bell's theorem superbly, or just Google for it (the book is better). This theorem made possible to experimentally test reality for local realism, and there have been many such experiments since its formulation by Bell, all of them violating Bell's inequality.

tomr wrote:
In response to your question do I know better than Heisenburg, if it is true Heisenburg interpreted his principle in the way you do, as evidence that fundamentally the universe is statistical in nature, then in this aspect I do know better than him. So did Einstein.

I am sorry to bring you bad news, but you don't know better than Heisenberg. And it does no good invoking Einstein to support you, since, as I already mentioned, John Bell put Einstein's objections to quantum physics (the EPR) to eternal rest with his theorem. Einstein was a classical guy, as most physicists remain even today: it is almost impossible to conceive of a physicist that does not hold to locality and realism as a priest holds to God. Unfortunately, local realism is gone: simple as that. No locally realist description of reality can account for the facts. Either we give up realism, or locality, or both. Read the book.
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 10:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

You are far to clever for us... Wink

You got me.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:02 pm
@guigus,
In the wave I think you meant a superposition of states until it collapses...which is different from probability...probability concerns which of this states eventually is more likely to become the final one after the collapse of the wave function...again a question on knowing...because is just one of them that will get there...keep on reading.
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:06 pm
@tomr,
tomr wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I really respect the work of Heisenberg and other supporters of this Interpretation especially Niels Bohr and his model of the atom. I really appreciate the difficulty of what they did and I do not claim to compare to them in their knowledge of physics. But when it comes to this philosophic problem of whether the nature of the universe is statistical or determined, I know enough of these principles to tell you there is no reason to assume that statistics is the answer. Its as if because of the greatness of these names alone that regardless of having no real reason for the interpretation it is just accepted. So I really do think in respect to who's interpretation is right mine or theirs that I know better than they did.

You are confusing quantum physics with its interpretation. Today there are eight interpretations of quantum physics (from Nick Herbet's "Quantum Reality"):

1) There is no deep reality (the Copenhagen interpretation).
2) Reality is created by observation (the Copenhagen interpretation).
3) Reality is an undivided wholeness.
4) The many-worlds interpretation (by Hugh Everett).
5) Reality obeys a "quantum logic."
6) Neorealism: the world is made of classical objects, although there is a "pilot wave" non-locally guiding it all (by David Bohm).
7) Consciousness creates reality.
8) Heisenberg's interpretation: the world is part classical, part quantum (the "duplex" world).

As you see, Heisenberg's interpretation is just one among many others, and it is not even the dominant one -- which is the Copenhagen interpretation. The mind-blowing point is that no mater which interpretation you choose among those eight, quantum mechanics stays exactly the same: it makes no difference for practical purposes. Equations don't bother and remain working as before. But yours is not a valid interpretation of quantum physics: local realism is incompatible not only with quantum formalism, but also, since John Bell's theorem, with experimental facts.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:19 pm
@guigus,
Are you conveying that all interpretations are non Deterministic ?
Because many worlds does n´t exclude a Deterministic panorama...a step to far I guess...it can be the case that the quantum superposition's are precisely the interference of other parallel Universes...thus being the Multiverse a very Deterministic place indeed ! And there are other Theory´s around...keep on reading !
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:20 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

In the wave I think you meant a superposition of states until it collapses...which is different from probability...probability concerns which of this states eventually is more likely to become the final one after the collapse of the wave function...again a question on knowing...because is just one of them that will get there...keep on reading.

Quantum physics has two descriptions of a physical entity: a wave function and a particle. The wave function is a wave of probability, so probabilities behave like waves: they reinforce and cancel each other out (things are that strange). Eventually the particle is observed, upon which the probability wave collapses into a particle-observation event. John von Neumann, in his "The Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics," did his best to find the privileged spot where this collapse would happen, only to find out that there is no privileged spot: it can happen anywhere you like in the chain of events that constitutes the act of observation. The superposition of states is just the state of a particle when it is not yet a particle, but a probability wave: since it is a probability, it has many states, each of which is a possibility, rather than an actuality.
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Are you conveying that all interpretations are non Deterministic ?
Because many worlds does n´t exclude a Deterministic panorama...a step to far I guess...it can be the case that the quantum superposition's are precisely the interference of other parallel Universes...thus being the Multiverse a very Deterministic place indeed ! And there are other Theory´s around...keep on reading !

Wake up! How in the hell a theory that describes physical entities as waves of probabilities could be deterministic? Of course it is non-deterministic. All you can say about a future event is that is has a certain probability to occur, that's all (and if you measure any series of events, the statistics will confirm quantum probabilities with astonishing precision).
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:27 pm
@guigus,
But there you are wrong ! The superposition's are, whatever they are, actual !!!
Schroedinger´s cat gives us a good insight on what is meant...
The cat is alive and dead up to the collapse of the wave function ! Both states are "real" is what is meant, independently of the interpretation being wrong or right...which is of course an entirely different matter.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:32 pm
@guigus,
Again wrong... if the states of superposition are each existing in a parallel Universe (thus all true) and them all interfering with ours you would have exactly the effect we see without Determinism hypothesis being undermined !
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

But there you are wrong ! The superposition's are, whatever they are, actual !!!
Schroedinger´s cat gives us a good insight on what is meant...The cat is alive and dead up to the collapse of the wave function ! Both states are "real" is what is meant independently of the interpretation being wrong or right which is of course an entirely different matter...

A quantum superposition is the coexistence of different possibilities: the particle that finds itself in many places at once is not an actual particle (Heisenberg would say it is not even real). That's the reason why some interpretations of quantum physics (the Copenhagen interpretation) go all the way onto denying reality itself: physicists, like many of you in this forum, simply cannot accept possibilities as real. But -- and this is my interpretation of quantum physics -- possibilities are real, they exist, however in a different way than actualities. You are having a hard time with this because once you admit possibilities are real you cannot help thinking of them as actualities, which they are not (of course there is a sense in which you are correct: possibilities are actual as possibilities, but their actuality as possibilities must not be confused with the actuality of whatever they make possible).
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:44 pm
@guigus,
I am not having any difficulty my friend I am merely correcting the words you put in the mouth of well know Physicists...go Wiki and check it yourself !
Because I did the reading long time ago...and it was n´t in Wiki.

You said all interpretations are non Deterministic which is utterly FALSE !
I just point some...prove me wrong ! and I will goggle it for you if you are to lazy to do it yourself...

You have to be able to distinguish the difference from non deterministic Reality to non determinable Reality ! One concerns an Ontological problem, while the other refers to an Epistemic one...

I guess you have allot to read in front of you even if to check an infinitesimal part of them...but you won´t need to stretch to far to realise your were actually mistaken !