Proof of nonexistence of free will

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:48 pm
@guigus,
1 - Concerning Newtonian Physics what I meant was more like, mechanics at work...

2 - Doubt itself imply´s the notion of Truth thus concerning the problem of Knowledge in the first place...

3 - Truth which is the object of Knowledge might or might not be known, therefore even through a negative you must refer to knowledge as concept...mind that !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:51 pm
@guigus,
1 - Truth never ceases to be True therefore Truth is ACTUAL !
2 - A possible Truth is not a TRUTH !!! Possible concerns my knowing, not Truth !

.3 - ...if you paid a bit more attention to your own writing, given you seam to be fairly intelligent, you might get to something interesting...the potential is there !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:59 pm
Independently own my knowing that today, if it is true that tomorrow I will go for a walk in the park, then it is TRUE !
...As it still, will be True the day after tomorrow, that I did went for a walk in the park...

Truth is very ACTUAL ! (Just stop and think)

PS - Oh, I crash land allot...but at least I try to figure were, how, and why.
Crashing allot makes good thinking even better, as long as one see´s it...
guigus

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:27 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
As I said, truth can either be actual or possible. Your going for a walk in the park tomorrow is a possibility, or a possible actuality. After tomorrow, if you have gone for that walk, then it will be a past actuality, but even then you can doubt you have gone for that same walk, in which case it becomes again just a possibility. As you say, truth is very actual, but it is also very possible, and it must be possible in order to be actual: its being impossible destroys its actuality. But a possible truth must be also a possible falsehood:

guigus wrote:
There are actual and possible truths, and all truth must be possible to be actual. However, a possible truth must be possibly false, and an actual truth that is possibly false is rather an actual falsehood, since it is no longer an actual truth. Hence, an actual truth is possibly -- not necessarily -- an actual falsehood -- or just possibly false -- which makes it doubtful.

So we are back to what I said in my previous post: you are confusing actuality with truth.
guigus

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:40 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

So a possible truth is already an actuality?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
2 - A possible Truth is not a TRUTH !!! Possible concerns my knowing, not Truth !

So an impossible truth is also an actual truth?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
.3 - ...if you paid a bit more attention to your own writing, given you seam to be fairly intelligent, you might get to something interesting...the potential is there !

I don't regard your conclusions as something interesting, although they once were so: to me, your conception of truth is just outdated -- it is just the old "Penelope truth" waiting for us to rescue her (have I already said you are a romantic?).
guigus

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
1 - Concerning Newtonian Physics what I meant was more like, mechanics at work...

Newtonian physics was once the Truth about physical reality, don't forget that.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
2 - Doubt itself imply´s the notion of Truth thus concerning the problem of Knowledge in the first place...

Then "the notion of Truth" includes truth as just a possibility, since this is the kind of truth implied by doubt. Sooner or later (I hope sooner), you will arrive at the distinction between actuality and truth, by recognizing truth as also -- and firstly -- being a possibility.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
3 - Truth which is the object of Knowledge might or might not be known, therefore even through a negative you must refer to knowledge as concept...mind that !

An unknown truth must be just a possibility so as to be the object of knowledge. So again you are near to "discovering" possible truth.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:10 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I don't regard your conclusions as something interesting, although they once were so: to me, your conception of truth is just outdated -- it is just the old "Penelope truth" waiting for us to rescue her (have I already said you are a romantic?).

"So a possible truth is already an actuality?"

1 - A possible Truth is not a Truth because possible does n´t mean it has/must occur, at least not in this Universe (maybe in a parallel Universe) but it just simply means it can eventually occur...

1.1 - Now, a TRUTH that was once regarded as a possibility given we did not know (problem of KNOWING) still is True even if we do not know its True...

1.2 - If it WILL happen, then its already True....
...if it is POSSIBLE that it will happen, then it must not necessarily be true !
Get it ?

"...your conception of truth is just outdated..."

1 - There is no other conception of Truth anywhere !
Or there is A TRUTH, or THERE IS NOT ! Again you are mistaken.
No such thing as "kind of" a truth...you must do some reading urgently !

"So an impossible truth is also an actual truth?"

A Truth mus always be possible otherwise how would it be True ?
Redundant to say that it is possible...it is ACTUAL !!!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:27 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

As I said, truth can either be actual or possible. Your going for a walk in the park tomorrow is a possibility, or a possible actuality. After tomorrow, if you have gone for that walk, then it will be a past actuality, but even then you can doubt you have gone for that same walk, in which case it becomes again just a possibility. As you say, truth is very actual, but it is also very possible, and it must be possible in order to be actual: its being impossible destroys its actuality. But a possible truth must be also a possible falsehood:

guigus wrote:
There are actual and possible truths, and all truth must be possible to be actual. However, a possible truth must be possibly false, and an actual truth that is possibly false is rather an actual falsehood, since it is no longer an actual truth. Hence, an actual truth is possibly -- not necessarily -- an actual falsehood -- or just possibly false -- which makes it doubtful.

So we are back to what I said in my previous post: you are confusing actuality with truth.

"...Your going for a walk in the park tomorrow is a possibility..."

1 - It is possible does not mean it will happen only that it CAN happen...so it must not be True but instead it can be True...which does not contradict that a possibility may be actually True given it is (if it is ) really True that it will occur...(which we do not know independently of what will factually happen)

"then it will be a past actuality, but even then you can doubt you have gone for that same walk, in which case it becomes again just a possibility"

2 - My doubting (Know it or not, remembering it or not ) does n´t make it less True given it was factually true I did went for a walk in the park...

Again you are making a word salad because you simply don´t know when to throw of the towel and admit you were mistaken...

You are utterly wrong in your assessment of what TRUTH IS !!!
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:57 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

guigus wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

"So a possible truth is already an actuality?"

1 - A possible Truth is not a Truth because possible does n´t mean it has/must occur, at least not in this Universe (maybe in a parallel Universe) but it just simply means it can eventually occur...

Of course possible doesn't mean it must occur (when did I say otherwise?), and it has nothing to do with "this Universe": it follows from the very definition of possibility. But in which way that is a reason for a possible truth not being a truth -- precisely, a possible one -- still escapes me.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
1.1 - Now, a TRUTH that was once regarded as a possibility given we did not know (problem of KNOWING) still is True even if we do not know its True...

Now tell me: how can a truth be regarded as a possibility, if you just told us that there is no such thing as a possible truth? Yet still, an actuality that nobody knows about is a working definition of a possible truth: congratulations.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
1.2 - If it WILL happen, then its already True....
...if it is POSSIBLE that it will happen, then it must not necessarily be true !
Get it ?

So far so good.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
"...your conception of truth is just outdated..."

1 - There is no other conception of Truth anywhere !
Or there is A TRUTH, or THERE IS NOT ! Again you are mistaken.
No such thing as "kind of" a truth...you must do some reading urgently !

There is nothing more disputed than the concept of truth, and there are a great number of alternative conceptions of truth in the literature: I suspect I am not the one who needs some urgent reading...

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
"So an impossible truth is also an actual truth?"

A Truth mus always be possible otherwise how would it be True ?
Redundant to say that it is possible...it is ACTUAL !!!

So you are saying that being possible is the same as being actual? If so, then there are no actual truths, as according to you:

1) "A Truth mus always be possible otherwise how would it be True ?"
2) "A possible Truth is not a TRUTH !!!"

Congratulations again: you just did away with actual truths as well.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:30 am
@guigus,
Quote:
So you are saying that being possible is the same as being actual? If so, then there are no actual truths, as according to you:

Oh man...you are incredible !!!

POSSIBLE means it CAN not that it IS !!!
A TRUTH means that it IS !!!
TRUTH must be possible, but possible must not be TRUE...(It may/can at best be true)

STOP to THINK if it is possible...I am honestly starting to doubt it...
guigus

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:55 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Quote:

Oh man...you are incredible !!!

POSSIBLE means it CAN not that it IS !!!

Once more, when did I tell the contrary?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
A TRUTH means that it IS !!!

Not if it is a possible truth ("POSSIBLE means it CAN not that it IS," remember?).

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
TRUTH must be possible, but possible must not be TRUE...(It may/can at best be true)

I am not suggesting that you start confusing possibility with truth as well, although you are doing that already: possibility is as much different from truth as actuality -- for example, there are possible falsehoods.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
STOP to THINK if it is possible...I am honestly starting to doubt it...

Are you uttering me a commandment? If so, please explain it better so I can understand it -- this last one is not making much sense.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:24 pm
@guigus,
Goodbye !...
0 Replies

tomr

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:42 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
Have you noticed that you start concerned about my conception of knowledge being incapable of being objectively tested only to later assert precisely that "we only know what is in our minds"? So you are concerned about your own conception of knowledge.

No I am not concerned here with my definition. I was stating the problem with your definition and giving a reason why I thought it was a problem and it just happens that it is also a good reason to use my definition. Here is what I said:

Quote:
If the difference between knowledge and belief is personal choice then how can we ever agree on what knowledge is, where do you draw the line? If knowledge must be found to be proved in accord with objective reality how could you possibly do this? Since our only means of observing objective reality is through our perceptions of it, we can never know objects outside us. We only know what is in our minds. We can deduce that objects exist outside us but we can only experience that understanding subjectively.

Because I could not be certain what you meant by "...depending on whether you take its object as an actuality (knowledge) or as a possibility (belief). " Especially the word "take". I was uncertain if it is up to you to "take" the object to be actual, as in a personal choice. Or if there was a higher standard or proof needed for knowledge's object to be "taken" as an actuality and so for it to really be knowledge and not a belief. If it was proof that is required what kind of proof is it if not a subjective one. For we can only know what's in our minds for that is all we can experience.

Quote:
Again, you are confusing knowledge with its object: although knowledge happens within our minds, it can only happen by referring to something outside our minds, even if that something is our minds taken as objects. There is no knowledge without an object of knowledge. Regarding actualities, the fact that you can take any actuality as a possibility does not mean you can invent it: knowledge refers to actualities, it cannot create them.

No, I never confuse knowledge with its object. You keep saying that knowledge "refers" to something outside our minds. Knowledge can only refer to things already in the mind. It cannot refer to something outside it. The world you know is only in your mind. You can think the knowledge you have refers to things outside yourself but that knowledge can only have connections to other things in your mind. Maybe you are thinking of the object in your mind and you visualize yourself next to it or something like that. But that is the only way you will ever know an object "outside" yourself. Objective reality is constantly triggering sensations or perceptions in us. When we see light, we do not see something outside our mind we see something built into it. The brain generates the color. Because of this we can never percieve beyond the barrior of the mind.

You say, "There is no knowledge without an object of knowledge." and this may be true. If by object you mean something to trigger knowledge. Whatever that trigger is, whether it creates a consistent stimulus or not (hallucination-like), it is not required to be apart of the definition of the knowledge it has helped, along with the brain, to create. So that I do not have to say I know something because I was stimulated by something I cannot know because it exists outside the boundary of the mind.

Quote:
If all you have is your subjectivity, you will never be able to compare your knowledge with anything objective. Objective reality for you is nothing more than a supposition. One step further and you will say that the objective world does not exist and you are the only reality.

I can never have objective knowledge. You say that for me I can only suppose there is a world outside me. Can you do better than suppose. Where do you get this deeper knowledge that can prove the existence of something outside us that we can only percieve in our minds. Is your perception of the world better than someone elses, what about people with different perceptions than yours. People without certain senses or people with synesthesia who see sounds and hear colors. Is what they experience not knowledge since it differs so drastically from your experience of knowledge? These objects you think of and refer to are never external to your mind they are concepts in your mind. You cannot be an unbiased judge of stimuli no matter how hard you try.

tomr

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:33 pm
@ Possibility

I have a problem whenever the concept of possibility is exhaulted to a status equal with reality. Possibilities are just groups of certain conditions that seem likely to occur because of a consistency in our detection of the world we conclude that a pattern may follow. But whenever the term is used as something that speaks to alternative realities completely apart from the world we are in it loses its meaning. This Universe is the master creater of all possibilities. It gives us all the information that we have. If we want to think of a new possible universe, say one that is totally random, we are given that possibility through this universe and that possibility is like a lesser incomplete version of the total reality. So in this sense possibility is made up of particular percieved aspects of this universe combined to make a concept of a place not nearly concieved with the complexity that the real universe is composed of. Possibility is just a simulation of aspects of the world combined as a thought or imagining. Then there is reality which is only one possibility, the ultimate one.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:13 pm
@tomr,
Interesting post tomr...that ultimate Truth resides only to one true possibility is also my belief.
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:35 am
@tomr,
tomr wrote:

Quote:
Have you noticed that you start concerned about my conception of knowledge being incapable of being objectively tested only to later assert precisely that "we only know what is in our minds"? So you are concerned about your own conception of knowledge.

No I am not concerned here with my definition. I was stating the problem with your definition and giving a reason why I thought it was a problem and it just happens that it is also a good reason to use my definition. Here is what I said:

Quote:
If the difference between knowledge and belief is personal choice then how can we ever agree on what knowledge is, where do you draw the line? If knowledge must be found to be proved in accord with objective reality how could you possibly do this? Since our only means of observing objective reality is through our perceptions of it, we can never know objects outside us. We only know what is in our minds. We can deduce that objects exist outside us but we can only experience that understanding subjectively.

Because I could not be certain what you meant by "...depending on whether you take its object as an actuality (knowledge) or as a possibility (belief). " Especially the word "take". I was uncertain if it is up to you to "take" the object to be actual, as in a personal choice. Or if there was a higher standard or proof needed for knowledge's object to be "taken" as an actuality and so for it to really be knowledge and not a belief. If it was proof that is required what kind of proof is it if not a subjective one. For we can only know what's in our minds for that is all we can experience.

Quote:
Again, you are confusing knowledge with its object: although knowledge happens within our minds, it can only happen by referring to something outside our minds, even if that something is our minds taken as objects. There is no knowledge without an object of knowledge. Regarding actualities, the fact that you can take any actuality as a possibility does not mean you can invent it: knowledge refers to actualities, it cannot create them.

No, I never confuse knowledge with its object. You keep saying that knowledge "refers" to something outside our minds. Knowledge can only refer to things already in the mind. It cannot refer to something outside it. The world you know is only in your mind. You can think the knowledge you have refers to things outside yourself but that knowledge can only have connections to other things in your mind. Maybe you are thinking of the object in your mind and you visualize yourself next to it or something like that. But that is the only way you will ever know an object "outside" yourself. Objective reality is constantly triggering sensations or perceptions in us. When we see light, we do not see something outside our mind we see something built into it. The brain generates the color. Because of this we can never percieve beyond the barrior of the mind.

You say, "There is no knowledge without an object of knowledge." and this may be true. If by object you mean something to trigger knowledge. Whatever that trigger is, whether it creates a consistent stimulus or not (hallucination-like), it is not required to be apart of the definition of the knowledge it has helped, along with the brain, to create. So that I do not have to say I know something because I was stimulated by something I cannot know because it exists outside the boundary of the mind.

Quote:
If all you have is your subjectivity, you will never be able to compare your knowledge with anything objective. Objective reality for you is nothing more than a supposition. One step further and you will say that the objective world does not exist and you are the only reality.

I can never have objective knowledge. You say that for me I can only suppose there is a world outside me. Can you do better than suppose. Where do you get this deeper knowledge that can prove the existence of something outside us that we can only percieve in our minds. Is your perception of the world better than someone elses, what about people with different perceptions than yours. People without certain senses or people with synesthesia who see sounds and hear colors. Is what they experience not knowledge since it differs so drastically from your experience of knowledge? These objects you think of and refer to are never external to your mind they are concepts in your mind. You cannot be an unbiased judge of stimuli no matter how hard you try.

You are creating a problem where there is none: there is no need to "prove" there is an objective reality. Why? Because the concept of knowledge is unconceivable without it (which is the reason you felt compelled to agree with my assertion that "there is no knowledge without an object of knowledge"). The very concept of knowledge presupposes an object of knowledge -- it must be knowledge of something -- which is inherently objective. It is useless to say that our "contact" with the object (if there is such a thing) is mediated by sensations, representations, or whatever. This is not the point. The point is that, no matter how, by the very definition of knowledge:

1. It is knowledge of something.
2. That something is inherently objective -- passive rather than active.

If you say, like you are saying, that we only know what is inside our minds, you just move objects into your mind, hence objectifying it -- what a mess, as our minds are the place of subjectivity, not objectivity. However, I understand your insistence: we are in scientific times, so it is just natural that you see your mind as an external object.
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:50 am
@tomr,
tomr wrote:

@ Possibility

I have a problem whenever the concept of possibility is exhaulted to a status equal with reality. Possibilities are just groups of certain conditions that seem likely to occur because of a consistency in our detection of the world we conclude that a pattern may follow. But whenever the term is used as something that speaks to alternative realities completely apart from the world we are in it loses its meaning.

Sorry, but I must ask you where did I champion possibility "as something that speaks to alternative realities completely apart from the world we are in"? I am just asserting that possibility exists, that's all.

tomr wrote:
This Universe is the master creater of all possibilities. It gives us all the information that we have. If we want to think of a new possible universe, say one that is totally random, we are given that possibility through this universe and that possibility is like a lesser incomplete version of the total reality.

Sorry, but where did I ever mentioned randomness? And where did I champion possibility as randomness? I referred to certainty: certainties are always subject to doubt, that's what I said.

tomr wrote:
So in this sense possibility is made up of particular percieved aspects of this universe combined to make a concept of a place not nearly concieved with the complexity that the real universe is composed of. Possibility is just a simulation of aspects of the world combined as a thought or imagining. Then there is reality which is only one possibility, the ultimate one.

This is just a disguised form of determinism, by which the old Laplace demon would know everything that will happen if he just knew a complete state of that wonderful "universe" of yours. Quantum physics already found that uncertainty is not a consequence of our ignorance, but an inherently feature of nature itself. Are you saying that you know better than Heisenberg?
guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:02 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Interesting post tomr...that ultimate Truth resides only to one true possibility is also my belief.

Of course you found it interesting: this is your conception of an only-actual truth. In this conception, there is only actuality, while possibility is just an epiphenomenon. The whole problem is that, as you already agreed:

1. Actual truth must be possible, since its being impossible destroys it.
2. Actuality must be different from possibility, since there are non-actual possibilities.

There are only two alternatives for those who deny the reality of possibilities. Either they "fuse" possibility with actuality, making them the same thing (as you also did), or they simply deny possibility exists at all. The first option utterly destroys actuality by making it non-actual. The second one utterly destroys actuality by making it impossible. Not to mention that both demand that we throw away most of contemporary physics.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:24 am
Reinforcing it:

1. Possibility, whatever it is, must be different from actuality, since there are possibilities that are not yet actualities and may never be -- non-actual possibilities.

2. Actuality must be possible, since an impossible actuality cannot exist -- even when a possibility becomes actual, its actuality must itself remain possible.

So possibility must exist within actuality while remaining different from it: possibility does not "fuse" with actuality, since it can exist without it, and it does not "vanish," since actuality depends on it. But above all, since possibility can exist without actuality, while actuality cannot exist without possibility, possibility precedes actuality.
tomr

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:43 pm
@guigus,
On Knowledge:

Quote:
You are creating a problem where there is none: there is no need to "prove" there is an objective reality. Why? Because the concept of knowledge is unconceivable without it (which is the reason you felt compelled to agree with my assertion that "there is no knowledge without an object of knowledge"). The very concept of knowledge presupposes an object of knowledge -- it must be knowledge of something -- which is inherently objective. It is useless to say that our "contact" with the object (if there is such a thing) is mediated by sensations, representations, or whatever. This is not the point. The point is that, no matter how, by the very definition of knowledge:

1. It is knowledge of something.
2. That something is inherently objective -- passive rather than active.

If you say, like you are saying, that we only know what is inside our minds, you just move objects into your mind, hence objectifying it -- what a mess, as our minds are the place of subjectivity, not objectivity. However, I understand your insistence: we are in scientific times, so it is just natural that you see your mind as an external object.

The reason I agree with you that "there is no knowledge without an object of knowledge" is because I do think something is needed to trigger sensations that lead to knowledge. I do not believe we are a closed system feeding ourselves stimuli or perceptions. But where I disagree is with the insistence that I can "move objects into the mind" taking our sensations to be equivalent to those objects. Because I see the cases I describe of people with different sensational experiences to be evidence that our perceptions are not consistent or universal translations of this objective reality. So I cannot hold the view that I can take objects into my mind.

I do not believe there is any further reason to debate this topic. I will continue to hold my definition and you yours. But I think we understand the way we talk about knowledge well enough to know what the other is thinking when we use it.