Vitamin D Critical To Health

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:29 pm
@Ceili,
here is an article I just found.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6899907/description.html

A method of bleaching bran, comprising treating bran with a hydrogen peroxide (H2 O2) solution to produce lightened bran having fewer native flavor components is disclosed. In one embodiment, a bleached bran product suitable foradmixing with wheat flour to produce white whole wheat flour having an "L" value on the Hunter scale of at least about 75 is disclosed.

comment: I think bleaching is the actual process that removes the bran.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:30 pm
Rex, most bakers mix wheats to some extent. If you want to go for all bran all the time, go for it, and stay close to home. (Well, that was mean and I'm not sure if it's true, but bran has a certain fame even as a mild addition to cereals or muffins - to go total could break the bank).
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not doubting you Osso. Just trying to clarify the process for Rex.
I know the products I buy at import stores are different than the stuff I can buy in the supermarket. Again, it's not the grain so much as how the grains are prepared.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
@RexRed,
Oh, really, she says? I know they promote as that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
My comment was re Prince. I'm not clear on Barilla, but am iffy on them.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:36 pm
@RexRed,
You may be right, I've never actually watched that part. I am familiar with growing it, harvesting it and then bringing it to a grain tower. We don't do much processing up here, as per usual we supply the raw product and the buy it back from the US as the finished product.
I have watched whole wheat being ground in small batches, as for the chemical or how the bran is removed, that is a mystery to me.
Hydrogen peroxide kind of scares me...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:37 pm
@Ceili,
Aha, we agree somewhat, I'll relax.

I think we still have one difference, between what is sold as semolina (and depending on by whom) and what is sold as unbleached. In my experience they are different by a lot.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:50 pm
I have learned allot just bouncing idea around thanks very much. I am gonna try the whole wheat pasta and maybe boil the heck out of it and see if it is less pungent and more palatable. There is also multi-gran which i think is more palatable.

here are some links to products and some info on their contents.

http://www.barillaus.com/home/Pages/Barilla_Whole_Grain.aspx

http://summertomato.com/should-i-buy-whole-grain-pasta/

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/road-test-whole-wheat-multigrain-pasta.html&ampcpsextcurrchannel=1

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/healthier-bowl-pasta

comment: Maybe semolina durum flour isn't bleached where some pasta is (or used to be) made from regular white flour.

I wonder about tortellini, ravioli etc
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:55 pm
@RexRed,
I don't think you have fully followed Ceili (a great arguer) and I, Rex, but yes, some pasta is made from bleached or "unbleached" flour in the US.

Please look past Barilla. Other than that, happy pasta hunting.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 08:57 pm
I eat Barilla pasta products.

They are delicious.

You can definately taste the difference.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:01 pm
@RexRed,
Rex, I hate to tell you this, it is a kind of life sentence - but learn to make your own pasta, ravioli, and so on - it's not that hard, I just have a hand machine, and can be rewarding. You can fool around with different flours while you explore it..

Tortellini, ravioli, from the market, suck, except for the occasional local ital place, which I don't have in my area. You'll be better off in the eastern US.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Also, don't be afraid of the odd ordinary ravioli. I often order ravioli when I travel, how else to taste a bit of lobster or truffle, those not on my cookaday tasks.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:08 pm
@ossobuco,
That is a very good idea. I find they usually add too much black pepper to the tortellini and ravioli cheese mixture for my taste. It usually drowns out the cheese flavors which are kind of bland other wise. Canned ravioli is, well, yuk unless I am starving to death. I knew a friend who used to serve canned ravioli cold as hors d'oeuvres with a tooth pick in each one. hehe Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:12 pm
I make my own pizza dough and that I need to now experiment with whole wheat flour or unbleached flour too.

My turkey stuffing this year will be homemade with crumpled up whole wheat bread.
RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:24 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour

http://www.namamillers.org/ci_products_wheat_mill.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:27 pm
@RexRed,
On pizza dough, yes.. I do that too. I'd add a bit of this and that and test it over time.
On crumpled whole wheat bread in turkey stuffing, I'll say gag...
consider corn bread.
RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 09:37 pm
@ossobuco,
I LOVE corn all types but it is too sweet, course and gritty for turkey stuffing. (for my taste that is) Smile

I will give it some thought though. I know a woman who used to add potatoes to her stuffing. I add walnuts. I also add walnuts to my cranberry sauce I got the fresh cranberries in the fridge right now.

I fry onions and celery then add some raw eggs salt pepper crumpled up bread and walnuts also poultry seasoning.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 10:19 pm
@RexRed,
I'll agree with you insofar as I didn't like the one corn stuffing I cooked.

But, and there's always a but, that was just that one recipe

On oysters, I had something like twelve day diarrhoea from some snacks at Mismaloya. I became sylphlike thin over many days.

Actually, I'm mixing these up. One from the cafe with the tacos, and one from the raw oysters. Whatever.
I got over it when I landed in LA, with propellant vomiting, momentarily past customs.

Let me guess there were cameras..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 10:26 pm
@ossobuco,
So, some of us have difficulties. You aren't the only person.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 10:39 pm
@ossobuco,
LOL I know it is not funny but you wrote it that way (after the fact that is) Smile

Vomiting, hot and cold flashes and the shakes? (food poisoning)

I'm glad you made it safely back friend.