Just need to vent

chai2

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 08:57 pm
I've had a rough weekend, I decided I needed to take the day off tomorrow to attend to some personal business.

I don't know about you, but when I learn that someone I know is in the middle of some kind of personal thing, I make every effort not to dump some ******* bullshit on them that can wait until they have the capacity to think about it.

I just called my boss to tell her I wouldn't be in. Taking the time off is not the issue, it isn't like "can't you do this another time?"
It's that my boss basically does not have any sort of existence outside of her work.
She's married, has 2 grown sons a brand new grandbaby, but all she can ever ever find to talk about it work, work, work.

To give an example, one of the managers I work with is going through an absolutely terrible time. Her husband re-tore a ligament in his knee needed a 2nd big operation, and while in surgery, he went into cardiac arrest. Later the cardiologist gave a diagnosis of V-fib. On top of that, there is a really personal issue going on with her son which is tearing her up. On top of that, it's been hellishly busy at the program she runs at work, just an unusal amount of problems coming up....then, last weekend, her 82 year old mother died. Her father had died just within the last year, and I really don't know how this woman is hanging on. She's out of state, and won't be back for a few more days.

The middle of last week, my boss started saying "I wonder why Joan hasn't called me?"
I mean, what the **** can you say to someone that can't figure out that the last thing on Joan's mind right now is work?

My boss one time came up to me as I was coming off the dance floor at a christmas party, on a saturday night, about 11pm, to talk about something that she wanted me to remember to do next Thursday. I remember vividly the look of confusion on her face when I asked her if this converstion could wait until Monday morning.

Anyway, I just called her, and said the exact thing I said at the beginning here.
"I've had a rough weekend"
I told her what was going on, and without blinking an eye she said "where you able to look at that email I fowarded you about that contract person?"

I told her "you shouldn't have even gotten that email, it's Joan's. but since she's out of town just send it to her assistant. She should know what to do with it."

Boss says "But I don't know if her assistant know what to do with it."

It was then I had to use all my will power not to say "Just what the **** do you want from me? Send to to so and so and let them figure it out."

Everything for her is crisis mode, end of the world.

If I had to spend every day with her, I could not work there. Fortunately, she's gone a fair amount of the time.

What is it with some people that they can't conceive that when someone needs to devote their personal time to a personal issue, they really don't give a **** at that moment about work?

I just think that's really sad.

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 09:21 pm
Frikken bitch (I'd use the "c" word if I used the "c" word).

I know it's not the response you were wanting but you just made me count my blessings and recall how my last boss was so wonderful.

Are you okay?

Is Wally okay?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 09:43 pm
@chai2,
I do sympathize, having been asked to drive 25 miles back to a chemical manufacturing plant by an eager beaver plant manager at 2am simply to do a quality control calculation in the lab for a product with too high a content of solids (just dilute the ******* mess, I told him and did the calaculation over the phone ).

But with the years I have walked now and looking over my shoulder I have mellowed and think that while any job contains its fair share of idiots and bullshit, it does not rise up to the pressure of being umemployed.

Persevere, you could be the one with no shoes instead of no feet.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:21 pm
Many people cannot take a day off work. They do not have a job.
oolongteasup

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:41 pm
@chai2,
inure uwergunna post this
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:51 pm
@oolongteasup,
Que?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:53 pm
@chai2,
I understand your rant. I hope you have better days.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:57 pm
Garden variety symptoms of workaholism. The productive thing to do is be thankful that you don't suffer from that particular malady
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 11:05 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, I had a boss like that. Narcissistic, crazy as a loon, believed the only thing worthwhile in life was work.

10% of the world is idiots.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:17 am
@chai2,

I wish u tranquility, Chai.

I wish u Infinite Joy that is exceeded only by Beauty in your life.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:24 am
@chai2,

and may ton$ of ca$$h effortlessly dump themselves all over u.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:28 am
@chai2,
Where I work there's an Employees Assitance Program. It's a trained psychologist. Confidentiality assured. I've used it many times when dealing with infuriating work situations-- they help you map out a way to constructively impose some boundaries.

If you've got such a program, I recommend you contact them.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:31 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:

That's not the point of her post.
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:45 am
@chai2,
Oooooof.

(Like boomer, hoping you and Wally are OK...)
Tai Chi

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:21 am
@chai2,
Please vent. (Always better than self-destructing.)

I hope your personal day resolves the bullshit and you are okay.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:32 am
Yes, I hear you. I've worked with lots of people like that, but it's worse when they're your boss. Also worked with people who couldn't care less about their job or performance yet still pull in a paycheque - just as frustrating. Sounds like she's harmless, just socially clueless - thinking about the dance episode you mentioned.

Vent away - it helps to blow off steam.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:45 am
@chai2,
Good day chai2.
Once upon a time, I worked for a company (five people). In twelve years, never had a sick day. Two owners. Good cop, bad cop. If it wasn't for good owner,...no one would be there. Years ago, my mom passed. Middle of an important project. (aren't they all). After taking three days off, I arrived at work to be hammered over project, and my absence. A condolence would of been nice. Things became clear to me that day.
Izzie

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:52 am
@sozobe,
ditto Soz et al thoughts for you and Wally...

vent away Chai.. vent away.

0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:40 am
@chai2,
I understand completely, chai. I hope venting helped, since there's not much else you can do about this idiot.

DD, are you sure it's only 10% idjits in the world? Some days it seems there are many more than that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:29 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

Quote:

That's not the point of her post.

Just trying to point out that we can be thankful for even the crap we have to endure. Others are usually in a worse position than ourselves. I guess it lost something in my simplistic approach - sorry.