Just need to vent

Gala

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 10:33 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Why couldn't you laugh? I can't think of any boss I've ever had man or woman, who, if s/he came up to me with a kleenex sticking out of his or her nose whose nose would get out of joint if I laughed and sputtering said, 'I'm sorry, but if you expect me to be able to listen without getting distracted by that kleenex sticking out of your nose - you better take it out....just to talk to me...and then you can put it back in if you want to.'

That's a good question, coming from your perspective. However, this guy had no idea. And, on some level, it's more satisfying to have a goodlaugh behind their back.

Years ago I worked in an office with a woman who one day was quickly walking past an open drawer and her pants got caught on the corner and ripped them open, exposing a bit of her thigh and her underwear. Instead of quietly making arrangements to go home and change, she announces to the whole office; "I ripped my paaaaants!"

Let me tell you, this was the most cathartic laugh I'd had in a long time. It was excruciating holding it in in front of her, but so satisfying at the same time. If you'd seen the look on one of the men's face as she haplessly showed him her exposed upper thigh. She was so clueless. I had tears rolling down my eyes.
aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 10:56 am
@Gala,
Well, I think a lot has to do with your work atmosphere. I don't laugh AT people - and I don't do much of anything behind anyone's back - but I have been lucky enough to work with people with whom we can all have a good laugh with each other, and it varies as to whose foible brings on the laughter on which day.

If I had to walk around work with a tissue hanging out of my nose - I'd walk in and say, 'Don't laugh at me - or if you have to laugh - let's get it out right now - because I'm gonna have to be walking around this office with this tissue hanging out of my nose for a couple of weeks....and then I'd lead the laughter and tell them what was going on with my nose,..

My last boss was a riot - he was the principal and he'd do these elvis impersonations and one time I had a pair of my daughter's underwear stuck by static cling to my stockings - I think it had adhered to my half slip in the dryer and then as I used the facility it rode down onto my stockings and was stuck to my calf and I had no idea, but my principal saw it and pulled it off and was like, 'Ok - so is this your way of telling us you need a raise - you need to buy some new underwear - because Rebecca - the elastic is gone in this underwear - nevermind the fact that it's beauty and the beast and that was like ten years ago.'

Another time one of the guards told my boss on me that I gave one of the student prisoners I was working with some of my popcorn and I come back to the staff room and Barry is like - 'Rebecca - did you give so and so some popcorn?' And I said, 'Yeah and how did you know?' and he says,
' the guard called and told me you were colluding with a prisoner.'
I just started laughing - I said 'Oh my god - can I get in trouble for that?'
And he said, 'Well, if you had another boss you could...I think I'm just gonna call her back and tell her that next time you'll not only be bringing popcorn - you're gonna bring a movie and a dvd player to entertain the guys.'

But then he said, 'No really - don't bring food or anything - that's what I'm really supposed to make sure you know.'

Senses of humor are great in bosses. I thank god those sort of bosses exist.

Yeah - so that sort of venting is fun.
Mame

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:36 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I don't laugh AT people - and I don't do much of anything behind anyone's back -

You're just too perfect to be believed, aidan.
Gala

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Thank you for your opinion. For the record, I'll continue to share mine whenever and wherever I damn well please.

You're welcome. I guess adding the cliched phrase "whenever and wherever I damn well please" makes it extra official and authoritative.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:02 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for your opinion. For the record, I'll continue to share mine whenever and wherever I damn well please.

You're welcome. I guess adding the cliched phrase "whenever and wherever I damn well please" makes it extra official and authoritative.

I just thought it sounded better than "Piss off you old bag."
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:39 pm
you know tico, if you were willing to do the work, you really could change that attitude.

look for the silver lining and so forth.
Gala

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I don't mean anyone in particular ... is that disclaimer sufficient?) can change their attitude if they want to. That's a fact. One has the ability to do so, and whether they in fact do so is entirely up to them. If one's circumstances have caused one to have a "bad" attitude, one can change it into a "good" attitude. One can choose to be annoyed by stuff going on, or one can choose to not let that stuff annoy them.

I agree with chai about attitude, oh wait, you wrote this.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
you know tico, if you were willing to do the work, you really could change that attitude.

look for the silver lining and so forth.

Well aware, Chai. Very Happy
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:27 pm
@aidan,
aidan, that's not venting, that's about you have charming bosses who look after you, which is a relief for you.
aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:29 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
You're just too perfect to be believed, aidan.

Not really - apparently I do inappropriately collude with prisoners.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:48 pm
@Gala,
Quote:
aidan, that's not venting, that's about you have charming bosses who look after you, which is a relief for you.

that's true too.
0 Replies