Why All The Hate?

Chumly

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 03:11 pm
Why All The Hate? The denial of rationality for a dangerous fabrication.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:19 pm
@whys1,
whys1 wrote:

New guy here and notice that there seems to be much hate and/or antagonism toward those who do not believe in or dislike God on this site. What is the attraction to being this way?

You could perceive that to be the case due to the large number of non-Americans here. We tend to be a bit more blunt about religion, as we are not vastly outnumbered in our local communities. Also, the anonymity allows people who generally hide their negative response to religions to be more open without fear. BTW, did you have a particular god in mind? You didn't say.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:08 pm
@whys1,
whys1 wrote:

whys1 wrote:

New guy here and notice that there seems to be much hate and/or antagonism toward those who do not believe in or dislike God on this site. What is the attraction to being this way?
For some reason, probally evolutionary, then people learn other's thoughs and see that those thoughs are different from their own, they get angry against the thinkers. Its possible to supress this anger to the point of feeling mostly nothing, with practice and will.

I believe the source was the need of early leader of convincing others of their ideas. Attacking the source of opposing ideas is a nice way of quenching then.

tsarstepan wrote:

And oh ... mind my manners ... welcome to a2k whys1.

Have a slice of cake!
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/4/6/portal_cake.jpg

Thanks tsarstepan.
DONT! Thats the cursed cake of Gladios!

=)

tsarstepan wrote:

I think I'd miss the snow more then anything in Hell. Unless one of the circles of Hell is some kind of permanently frozen tundra ... brrrr... then that would be just too cold. Mad
I have never seen snow up close, only on TV. I wish I can see, touch and eat it someday =)

And the "circles" of hell arent part of the christian system of beliefs, as far as I know. They were introduced by Dante (A writer, I forgot how to write his name and the name of the book in english) then he imagined what hell would be like. And there really IS a punishment zone based on snow =)

For some reason, picturing hell as divided in circles got really popular.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:50 pm
There seems to be some sort of consensus that most here are non-believers. I find that hard to believe. I wish we could still make polls....
George

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:23 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
. . . that most here are non-believers. I find that hard to
believe . . .

See???
George

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:24 am
@George,
I wonder whether the believers think this forum is mostly atheists and the
atheists think it is mostly believers. Hmmm . . .
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:02 am
@George,
Plus, I've noticed there are a lot of inbetweeners..
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:14 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

There seems to be some sort of consensus that most here are non-believers. I find that hard to believe. I wish we could still make polls....

Well its about time we bring back the power of the polls!!

We can have the first annual Religion/nonreligion bowl!!
http://thecampvs.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/liz-dan-girls-montepulciano-museums-tivoli-194.1.jpg
Go Atheists!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:16 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

To quote out of context a great American philosopher!!
Quote:
Pick a side!! We're at war!!

Stephen Colbert
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:05 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

And then there's Frank A.
I really miss the guy.
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:06 pm
Why All The Love?
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:13 pm
If a theist believes in a god or gods and an atheist doesn't believe in a god or gods; and if this terminology is about belief (not knowledge), then how might there be an inbetweener?

"I don't know what I believe"?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:48 pm
@Khethil,
To explain my comment, it was a generalization re the hundreds of posters I've seen express themselves on whether there is a god or gods, on a2k. Hundreds is probably a low count.

For many of us atheists, we are absent of belief in a god or gods. (For some, I gather, there is a belief that there are no gods, thus the common arguments about atheism being a religion.)

For theists, they have belief in a god or gods, even if tried by doubt from time to time.

What I am calling 'inbetweeners' is a catchall for people who have a sense of spirituality (there being many sorts) but not a definite belief in god or gods, and people who consider themselves agnostic - which I will not try to define but my own take is they admit the possibility that there may be a god or gods, however slim. It would be a big stretch to say they believe in them.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:54 pm
@George,
Yes, I agree. I posted the same yesterday, but I don't remember on which thread, maybe even this one. Man, he was annoying, but I miss him rather dearly.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 03:00 pm
@George,
Qui est Frank A.?
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 03:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://able2know.org/user/frank_apisa/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 03:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Frank Apisa. For a treat, look him up on the google custom search and find some of his posts. He was like a cairn terrier chasing a ball time after time for hours on end, good man. Several NYC a2kers know him personally.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
What difference does it make whether someone believes, or does not believe, in religion or God. They still look the same, act the same, are the same. Maybe some people feel superior because they belong to this religion, or that, or none.

How very dumb, when you stop and think.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 03:20 pm
I like Frank Apisa very much. Was sad that he left. Just in case he sneaks a peek in here now and again: He was loveable, but he was wrong. Hear that, Frank? Dead wrong, about everything. Laughing
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 03:22 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
What I am calling 'inbetweeners' is a catchall for people who have a sense of spirituality (there being many sorts) but not a definite belief in god or gods, and people who consider themselves agnostic - which I will not try to define but my own take is they admit the possibility that there may be a god or gods, however slim. It would be a big stretch to say they believe in them.

Ah yes, we're talking about this state in another thread. Not a bad term for it, really.

Thank you
0 Replies