Why All The Hate?

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:46 pm
@whys1,
Quote:
Why All The Hate?

You haven't been a member long enough to discover this, probably. But in time I think you'll find that the real hate on this site is reserved for the political threads. Very little of it shows on the religion and philosophyy threads.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:04 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

But in time I think you'll find that the real hate on this site is reserved for the political threads.

Back in my Abuzz days, I used to roam and strut down the virtual halls of the Politics Boards. Now, I find I can't stomach a lot of the heated rhetoric. [sigh]
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:09 pm
I think the real hate and venomous posts come from the religious fanatics.
True, most of us don't believe - God is a Santa for grown ups anyways, however
there are religious members here who practice their religion as it should be
practiced: privately!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
there are various lunatic figures from history that shape my teenage years

son of sam, jim jones and mark david chapman all worked there evil magic during my high school years
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The willing denial of any and all rules of logic, while still insisting that they are correct, is a sign of a mental problem or an inability to form a logical argument, in my opinion.

Cycloptichorn

Great sig line, cyclo!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:49 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, I think you are missing the point of many individuals on A2K vis a vis religion; we don't dismiss the value of religion or a religious life, but we do dismiss many of the actions of the followers of religions and consider them hypocrites. That is not an antagonism of religion, but of many followers of religions.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:16 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
You haven't been a member long enough to discover this, probably. But in time I think you'll find that the real hate on this site is reserved for the political threads. Very little of it shows on the religion and philosophyy threads

of course, because not many people care passionately about religon or philosophy.

I think that a lot of the anger that you see on political threads is due to the fact that people care a lot about it, but don't in the real world get much practice interacting with those who disagree. We do interact with people who disagree, we know that they disagree, but we all agree not to talk about the subject so as to not fight all of the time. Here we want to talk about politics, care more about that then we do staying friendly with each other, but because of our inexperience dealing with political differences in real life a lot of people have no clue how to disagree with civility. we easily slide into abuse and non productive yelling past each other.

The damage of the PC regime is clearly seen in our inability to conduct political discourse.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
You haven't been a member long enough to discover this, probably. But in time I think you'll find that the real hate on this site is reserved for the political threads. Very little of it shows on the religion and philosophyy threads

of course, because not many people care passionately about religon or philosophy.

I think that a lot of the anger that you see on political threads is due to the fact that people care a lot about it, but don't in the real world get much practice interacting with those who disagree. We do interact with people who disagree, we know that they disagree, but we all agree not to talk about the subject so as to not fight all of the time. Here we want to talk about politics, care more about that then we do staying friendly with each other, but because of our inexperience dealing with political differences in real life a lot of people have no clue how to disagree with civility. we easily slide into abuse and non productive yelling past each other.

The damage of the PC regime is clearly seen in our inability to conduct political discourse.

I don't usually agree with you, but this is spot ******* on.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

whys1

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:08 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

And oh ... mind my manners ... welcome to a2k whys1.

Have a slice of cake!
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/4/6/portal_cake.jpg

Thanks tsarstepan.
whys1

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:10 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The only time believers and agnostics irritate me is if they want to force their belief on me or if they become overly strident in putting down one such as me. I live in a world teeming with believers and near believers, and I accept their right to exist. All I ask in return is the same courtesy.

well said sir.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:15 am
Green Witch wrote:
If the fanatics are correct, we will have one heck of an A2k reunion someday in the bowels of Hell.

I'll be leading the party..
dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:38 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Green Witch wrote:
If the fanatics are correct, we will have one heck of an A2k reunion someday in the bowels of Hell.

I'll be leading the party..
if Francis has a party Lady Diane will be there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:38 am
http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/images/2009/10/31/Boffo.970.g.gif
dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:40 am
@edgarblythe,
sometimes I like Edgar and I are the only simple minded atheists on this forum.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:41 am
@dyslexia,
Problem is, we don't know any better.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:43 am
Dys wrote:
if Francis has a party Lady Diane will be there.

You are invited too, Dys, you'll be my guest..
0 Replies

whys1

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 09:30 am
I appreciate everyone's answers & might have missed it, but I'm not sure my original question has been answered.
Francis

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 09:41 am
@whys1,
I'd say the Christians' hearts are full of hatred because one doesn't agree with them.

It's not a matter of religion but "being right"..

I don't hate anyone, some people and their beliefs just piss me off..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 09:54 am
@whys1,
whys1 wrote:

New guy here and notice that there seems to be much hate and/or antagonism toward those who do not believe in or dislike God on this site. What is the attraction to being this way?

Oh, for the record, I am a practicing apatheist. (Don't know, don't care). I think that many non-believers are reacting to the smugness, the blind superciliousness that is a hallmark of the fundamentalist crowd.

I have seen very little other than respect for the religious who are not hell bent on proselytizing.

BTW, Welcome to A2K!
Very Happy
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 10:26 am
@whys1,
Quote:
New guy here and notice that there seems to be much hate and/or antagonism
toward those who do not believe in or dislike God on this site. What is the
attraction to being this way?

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's answers & might have missed it, but I'm not sure my
original question has been answered.

You come on this site accusing people of hatred.

Members reply that no, they don't believe there is "much hatred".

Based on your accusation, you ask "What is the attraction to being this way?"

You now say that that question is not answered. Help us out a little.

Please quote some examples of all this hatred and then we can try to figure
out what the attraction is.
0 Replies