Why All The Hate?

whys1

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:42 am
New guy here and notice that there seems to be much hate and/or antagonism toward those who do not believe in or dislike God on this site. What is the attraction to being this way?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 5,842 • Replies: 63

engineer

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:55 am
@whys1,
I think you have it backwards. Most posters here are not religious and many are actively hostile to religion.
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:48 am
@engineer,
I think you have it backwards. Most posters here are not religious and many are actively hostile to religion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Raising my hand proudly to be in that group of being actively hostile to religion and other supernatural nonsense.
eoe

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:04 pm
And I raise my hand proudly to say that I am one of the faithful who believe in a higher power so, it should prove apparent that more or less, all walks are represented here. And everyone takes heat.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:10 pm
@whys1,
I'm a devout atheist and I ignore any of the pro-religious zealots when they go on a flaming tear (no matter what forum or medium they use to spread their hate). Thankfully, they're not that prevalent here.

As Engineer mentioned, most people here are rational and reasonable and actually particularly thought provokingly skeptical individuals. And those who are on the fair side of spiritualism are soft spoken and compassionate enough to tolerate us godless heathens. Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
And oh ... mind my manners ... welcome to a2k whys1.

Have a slice of cake!
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/4/6/portal_cake.jpg
George

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:12 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
. . . And everyone takes heat.

In our better moments we can give and take the heat without hatred.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:17 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Quote:
. . . And everyone takes heat.

In our better moments we can give and take the heat without hatred.

Here! Have some hateless free heat! Very Happy
http://www.recipebook.co.za/joom/images/stories/rapidrecipe/1171414069JALAPENO-POPPERS.jpg
George

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks. My kind o' heat!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:22 pm
@whys1,
I would say this place over all is agnostic. The zealots tend to depart when no one agrees with them, but the normal people with religious beliefs seem to stick around and probably just pray a lot for the rest of us. If the fanatics are correct, we will have one heck of an A2k reunion someday in the bowels of Hell.

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:28 pm
I am a "little a" atheist. This means I don't myself believe in any divine being, but I don't feel the need to push my beliefs on others. There is a core of Atheists (with a big A) who seem to have a knee-jerk reaction to any expression of religious belief or acttion.

I have the same reaction to fundamentalist Atheists that I have to fundamentalist believers.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:35 pm
I can't stand, personally, when religious arguments devolve into assertion on the part of the pro-god crowd. The willing denial of any and all rules of logic, while still insisting that they are correct, is a sign of a mental problem or an inability to form a logical argument, in my opinion.

Cycloptichorn
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:48 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I would say this place over all is agnostic. The zealots tend to depart when no one agrees with them, but the normal people with religious beliefs seem to stick around and probably just pray a lot for the rest of us. If the fanatics are correct, we will have one heck of an A2k reunion someday in the bowels of Hell.

I'll bring the best bottle of champagne I can afford so we can have a reunion toast! See you there! Wink
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:16 pm
@Green Witch,
If the fanatics are correct, we will have one heck of an A2k reunion someday in the bowels of Hell.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the universe turn out to be a simple cartoon then I will be even more annoy at that ,then finding myself in some hell or other.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I can't stand, personally, when religious arguments devolve into assertion on the part of the pro-god crowd. The willing denial of any and all rules of logic, while still insisting that they are correct, is a sign of a mental problem or an inability to form a logical argument, in my opinion.

On several occasions I have seen the same behavior here by the anti-god crowd (and I say that as someone who doesn't believe in any god).

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:48 pm
@BillRM,
I think I'd miss the snow more then anything in Hell. Unless one of the circles of Hell is some kind of permanently frozen tundra ... brrrr... then that would be just too cold. Mad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:10 pm
The only time believers and agnostics irritate me is if they want to force their belief on me or if they become overly strident in putting down one such as me. I live in a world teeming with believers and near believers, and I accept their right to exist. All I ask in return is the same courtesy.
djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:22 pm
"Don't make the mistake that hate is your enemy.

Love has practicaly caused ...me to get you destroyed. If I would have hated a little more, just a little more,we would have had a little less trouble...

Sure you got love...Principles!

Dont say, "Hate is my enemy".

"Love is the only weapon", ****! Bullshit!

Martin Luther King died with love! Kennedy died talking about something he couldn't even understand, some kind of generalised love! And he never even backed it up..he was shot down!

Bullshit, “Love is the only weapon with which I got to fight”.

I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight!

I'll fight! I'll fight! I will fight! I will fight! I will fight! I will fight!

Like the fury in the Night!

Hell yes we'll fight!

Let the night roar with it!

Let the night roar.

They know we mean it! We'll kill 'em if they come."

Rev. Jim Jones
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:29 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

"Don't make the mistake that hate is your enemy.

Love has practicaly caused ...me to get you destroyed. If I would have hated a little more, just a little more,we would have had a little less trouble...

Sure you got love...Principles!

Dont say, "Hate is my enemy".

"Love is the only weapon", ****! Bullshit!

Martin Luther King died with love! Kennedy died talking about something he couldn't even understand, some kind of generalised love! And he never even backed it up..he was shot down!

Bullshit, “Love is the only weapon with which I got to fight”.

I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight!

I'll fight! I'll fight! I will fight! I will fight! I will fight! I will fight!

Like the fury in the Night!

Hell yes we'll fight!

Let the night roar with it!

Let the night roar.

They know we mean it! We'll kill 'em if they come."

Rev. Jim Jones

That's a scary source to be quoting considering his fate and the fate of the 918 people who died directly and indirectly from his hands.

Quote:
At the end of the day, 918 people had died in Guyana: five at the Port Kaituma airstrip, four in Georgetown, and 909 men, women and children in Jonestown.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/jonestown/storyHighlights/6/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/jonestown/
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 02:30 pm
Jim Jones. I knew it was a lunatic raving.
0 Replies