Lieberman is a soulless sleaze

snood

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:34 am
From a blog by Robert Scheer:

"...I do continue to begrudgingly respect the consistency, if not the wisdom, of libertarians like Ron Paul who oppose all of this big-government intrusion into the economy. At least their belief in the efficiency of the free market, affirmed in opposition to the banking bailout, is not compromised by a willingness to throw trillions in taxpayer dollars into backing the riskiest of corporate bets. But it is not possible to feel anything but loathing for those like Lieberman who vote for every big government program, no matter how wasteful, in support of big business, but draw the line at a program designed to cut medical costs for the ordinary citizens they have been sworn to serve.

Lieberman's threat to thwart a vote on sorely needed health care legislation, complete with a public option that a majority of Americans have consistently supported, should spell the end of his connection with the Democratic caucus. It should also cost him the committee chairmanship he was granted in order to guarantee the 60 votes needed to prevent a filibuster. But a filibuster, which would expose Lieberman and the others as irresponsible wreckers of essential reform, is not the worst outcome. The surrender by the Democratic leadership to this blackmail by the party's disgraced former vice presidential candidate would be a blow from which the party would not deserve to recover.

(bolded by me)

I never understood the Dems kowtowing to this lowdown creep, and if they continue to now I won't forgive them that. Lieberman is sold out to big insurance and big business, and has no allegiance to anything but the corporate bottom line - and Joe Lieberman.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:43 am
@snood,
You are a bit late to the table realizing that the Democratic Party is corrupt, but better late than Never I always say.
djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:21 am
@snood,
he's a politician, of course he's a soulless sleaze
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:23 am
@hawkeye10,
let's be honest, all political parties are corrupt

i believe a fellow, name of, machiavelli had something to say about power and all that
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:36 am
I didn't like the man, even when his nomination to run for VP was garnering widespread praise. Nothing he has done since could alter that early impression.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:05 am
He has said that he will vote for cloture and allow this bill to reach a vote where it only needs 50 votes (+1 from Biden).

He would be one of the 60 needed to stop the filibuster; so he's said.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:10 am
Yep, disagree with the big machine and you are a soulless pox upon humanity.

This is how the Democratic party works and why it will always be doomed to fail.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:23 am
@maporsche,
I read it that we would vote for cloture to allow debate, but not to close debate.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:24 am
@djjd62,
This is a intellectually dishonest cop-out.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:25 am
Joe Lieberman represents "Bipartisanship".

Let this be a lesson to all.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:27 am
@ebrown p,
sorry, it's my belief, i have little or no faith in any political party or figure

i vote, but i vote for candidates only, never following a party line
sullyfish6

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:28 am
After the fiasco in handling the Swine flu vaccincations, do you really think a majority of Americans want the government to run ANY kind of health care program?
ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:30 am
@djjd62,
How many Republicans have you voted for in the past 12 years?
ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:32 am
@sullyfish6,
Quote:
After the fiasco in handling the Swine flu vaccincations, d

I think you are unclear on the concept.

We are promoting a public option for payment-- not a public dispensary. The government runs Medicare which is a similar public option for payment.

Medicare would be a relevant thing to whine about.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:43 am
@ebrown p,
i'm a canadian, but i have voted conservative in the past

our conservative party sold itself out to your american style christian republican party

before that they were known as the progressive conservative party, a more moderate style of conservatism, and a good party

in the last decade or so i've voted liberal or new democrat, a social democrat party
ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:18 am
@djjd62,
Well, DJ... let me explain to you why your position is ironic in this case.

Lieberman was (by party registration) a Democrat... but he was an "independent Democrat", which meant, unlike the other democrats he loved war and thought the torture (i.e. water boarding) was a great idea.

The Democratic voters didn't like this. So when the primary election came around they found Ned Lamont an smart, energetic candidate who promised to vote against the use of torture.

The result of the election-- Lieberman lost the primary meaning that Ned Lamont was the Democratic candidate. This is how political parties work, the Democratic voters decided who would represent them.

But Lieberman didn't go away. He left the party and be came an "independent" with a "bipartisan" spirit that would represent all people.

Of course in the general all Republicans voted for Lieberman (since he was the non-Democratic candidate) and enough idiots who thought that "bipartisan" is a sweet thing voted for him that Lieberman won the seat.

The reasons these fools voted for Lieberman is because they said "we don't want to support either political party". Lieberman spouted "non-partisan" so many times it made people with any sense sick.

Most of these people (according to polls) now deeply regret their error.

So, DJ, this "I hate all parties" thing sounds all righteous and nice... but it intellectually cowardly.

Lieberman is the cruel result of this nonsense.

maporsche

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:35 am
@ebrown p,
So are you mad that Lieberman won as an independent, or mad that the Democrats put him in a powerful position?

I don't know how you could be mad a him for winning an election; which of course he did w/o the Democratic party supporting him (as you mentioned, Lamont won).
maporsche

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:37 am
@engineer,
Interesting; I'll need to do a little more research before forming an opinion on this.

If he were to vote to close the debate and let the bill be voted on, and then he chose to vote against it; I wouldn't have a problem with that I think. I'd disagree with this choice, but respect that he can make whatever choice he wants on the bill; the fillibuster method though I disagree with for the most part.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:38 am
@ebrown p,
Yet one that proves itself true, time and time again.

Do you deny that?
parados

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:42 am
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:

After the fiasco in handling the Swine flu vaccincations, do you really think a majority of Americans want the government to run ANY kind of health care program?
Without the government there would have been no Swine flu vaccinations.

That would be so much better, don't you think?