Obama the Clinical Narcissist

ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:46 am
@Phoenix32890,
Obama was elected because he was a great candidate.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:46 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Are you saying Obama was elected because he is black? I would have said he was elected in spite of that.

Nope. Never said that. My point was that we have come a long way when we elect a black person as president.

We will have come a longer way when race, religion sex, ethnicity and sexual persuasion won't even be an issue. The only issue will be competence to do the best job for the country.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:54 am
@Gala,
Gala wrote:
I find the cultish elements to be bizarre, here and there.

I don't see it as being that different from the Bush years, actually.

I found the whole yellow-ribbon "support our troops" mentality to be pretty cultish. Stick up a yellow ribbon and go about your day....
Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:58 am
@ebrown p,
The man has become an icon, a celebrity. He's better looking and cooler than most men on the planet. I don't know why you're so touchy about this, especially considering that beauty attracts people for superficial reasons. I also think his brain equals his beauty, that he's a serious man out to get the job done--albeit, in the most hardball political way, nonetheless, he's not screwing around.

I think the media is having a love affair with him.

I do agree with you about the cult of hatred being there, as well.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:01 am
None of us is qualified to apply a clinical finding of any psychiatric disorder. The amateurish application of narcissitic disorder to Obama began with writers like Jerome Corsi. Corsi also claimed that Obama's childhood damaged Obama as an adult.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:01 am
Pathological narcissists have severely crippled empathetic faculties. They are wired to serve only themselves, and not, like, an entire ******* country.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:04 am
@DrewDad,
Come to think of it, just about every celebrity, no matter how admirable or deplorable, has some kind of following.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:04 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I don't see it as being that different from the Bush years, actually.

I found the whole yellow-ribbon "support our troops" mentality to be pretty cultish. Stick up a yellow ribbon and go about your day....

I agree with you. Although, those yellow ribbons represented the shift from hating the troops (Vietnam era) to supporting them.

0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:07 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Corsi also claimed that Obama's childhood damaged Obama as an adult.

I'll take some of his damage then-- I'd say it shaped him as well.

Same for Clinton. He didn't have a rosy childhood either, except for shooting soda cans from fenceposts.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:11 am
Just thinking about the entire issue of "cult of personality". Many of you probably don't remember it, but it was JFK, who in my mind, practically coined the word "charisma", ad nauseum.

He too was treated like an entertainment personality, (Remember "Camelot"?), and people hung on to his every word.

When I think of JFK, the expression, "all sizzle, and no steak" comes to mind.

I believe that the historians will tend to rate him a tad less enthusiastically than people who were so enamoured of him during his presidency.
rabel22

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:23 am
@Phoenix32890,
And where do you think Bush 2 will end up on this list?
wandeljw

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:27 am
@Phoenix32890,
To me "cult of personality" refers to the worship of an individual leader like Stalin or Hitler. I don't see it as applicable to non-totalitarian leaders.
Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:32 am
@Phoenix32890,
You make a good point here-- the media overkills and turns them into celebrities. Don't forget his darling and precious wife Jackie.

When Jackie came on "the market" again after JFK's death she had a long line of suitors. Instead of going out on individual dates with them she just invited them all over at the same time. Aristotle Onassis included. We know how it ended. The woman would have made Charles Darwin proud...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:37 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
To me "cult of personality" refers to the worship of an individual leader like Stalin or Hitler. I don't see it as applicable to non-totalitarian leaders.

I think it applies to leaders in free countries, as well. Especially considering the blurry lines of his celebrity. Obama is one of the most famous people in the world.

wandeljw

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:47 am
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

Quote:

I think it applies to leaders in free countries, as well. Especially considering the blurry lines of his celebrity. Obama is one of the most famous people in the world.

"Celebrity" is one thing. "Cult of Personality" goes far beyond celebrity. The term was coined by historians to describe emperors and monarchs. It was later applied to totalitarian rulers such as Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, and Mao. Kennedy or Obama are not in that category.
Gala

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:56 am
@wandeljw,
Well, I get your point, nonetheless, hero worship and adulation applies to Obama. Besides, the term "cult of personaility" is a genereal term, not a strict definition.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:19 am
@Gala,
In my opinion, the idea that Obama is worshipped is found in extreme-right propaganda, not in the expression of actual Obama supporters.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:42 am
It's one thing when you or I think that we're important. It's another when the President of the United State thinks he's important, because he is.

It's part of the job.

T
K
O
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:45 am
@wandeljw,
You don't pay attention to what's going on then.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:48 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

You don't pay attention to what's going on then.

I don't suppose you could provide actual examples?

Cycloptichorn