ashes to ashes

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:22 am
@roger,
Hey, I'm not making this up, Roger! This was a recommendation on a very serious program (broadcast on the ABC) about the environmental impact of various types of burials. Made me wish it was possible to simply dematerialize when my time comes, so's not to be a such bother & a nuisance! Wink
roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:32 am
@msolga,
Oh, I believe you. Might save a few cubic inches if they'd stack 'em instead stand 'em.

These busybodies follow you to the grave, and beyond, don't they?
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:38 am
@roger,
Quote:
Might save a few cubic inches if they'd stack 'em instead stand 'em.

Oh don't think that this wasn't overlooked!

Quote:
These busybodies follow you to the grave, and beyond, don't they?

Well, you do sort of want to do the right thing by future generations, & all that ....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:01 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

meself and the lady Diane were just talking about getting a pre-paid cremation deal.
anyone have any knowledge, pro or con on these plans?
Just don 't test it, before u actually need to use it, Dys.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 02:50 pm
so I guess noone here has experience in buying pre-need cremation services. perhaps only meself and lady Diane think we are going to die.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:10 pm
@dyslexia,
I've, as I mentioned, experienced preneed fantasies, such as a bunch of pals flying to italy with my ashes, adding them to the countryside (illegal and impossible, I assume), and then having a week or two to check out the country and dine very well, all on my dollar. Fantasy, like I said.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:15 pm
@dlowan,
There are churches that are starting "consecrated Composting" . I think wed have to be shredded and then composted.

I made that whole thing up for Debs benefit. I am gonna be neatly catalogued and stuffed in a COLUMBARIUM , as soon as I find out what the hell that is.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:16 pm
@dyslexia,
I am currently researching the various ways to donate ones body to science.

I don't want anybody stuck paying my bills, and would like to think my body did some good. most of me is not transplant grade merchandise, so I am looking at other possibilities. any serious thoughts would be welcomed...
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:23 pm
@Rockhead,
They can slice you in cross sectional slices and seal you in urethane. I think they have to freeze you first so that anything really squishy can be band sawed.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:25 pm
@farmerman,
to what purpose?

(i might have to get a grant for to do that, it sounds like effed up art)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:25 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

... & being buried standing up (as opposed to a horizontal grave) is now being encouraged, as limited space in cemeteries becomes an issue. The lengths we have to go to, to do the right thing! Wink

My ankles would swell!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:41 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

so I guess noone here has experience in buying pre-need cremation services.
perhaps only meself and lady Diane think we are going to die.
Yeah; I 'm pretty sure that neither of u will. Its impossible.
Death is only a fraud and a superstition.

David
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:15 pm
I plan on being planted in the Veteran's Memorial Cemetery on Veteran Memorial Drive, in Houston. Anybody wants to come by and drop off a plastic flower is welcome.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

While decomposition is merely delta entropic state
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:38 pm
http://natural-burial.typepad.com/photos/natural_casket_gallery/acorn_urncropped95dpi.jpg

Urns - ARKA Acorn Urn for Ash Burial

Please see http://ecopod.co.uk/index.php?pageid=Arka_Acorn_Urn

The ARKA Acorn Urn is manufactured on the same principle as the Ecopod. It is hand worked, sanded and overlaid in a moss green or vibrant red recycled silk and mulberry leaf paper.

Produced to regulation size - 10" high x 8" wide - the Acorn Urn is overlaid in moss green or red hand made paper.

The urn is intended to contain ashes after cremation. It can be buried and the natural biodegradable fiber will decompose several months in the ground.

Plant the urn about 1-2 feet deep in the earth, at least 3 feet away from the roots of any small bushes or young trees. The alkali "ash" of the burned bones, mostly calcium phosphate and calcium carbonate (sterilized bonemeal) then returns slowly to the soil and will be used by the surrounding soil web, just as the ash from an old burnt out stump would be.
Izzie

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:45 pm
@Tai Chi,
that's ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good TC... like that very much.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:

While decomposition is merely delta entropic state of decidual residue
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:53 pm
@Tai Chi,
I love it, thanks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:36 am
@Tai Chi,
Great idea!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:45 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I've, as I mentioned, experienced preneed fantasies, such as a bunch of pals flying to italy with my ashes, adding them to the countryside (illegal and impossible, I assume), and then having a week or two to check out the country and dine very well, all on my dollar. Fantasy, like I said.

Let me be the first to volunteer.
Anything for a friend, I always say. Wink
0 Replies