ashes to ashes

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:39 pm
meself and the lady Diane were just talking about getting a pre-paid cremation deal. anyone have any knowledge, pro or con on these plans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 3,029 • Replies: 46
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:46 pm
@dyslexia,
Not really. Shop around, of course, and make as sure as possible that the people you deal with are going to be around longer than you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 07:16 pm
There is a place in Rio Rancho. I do not remember the name, but its address is off of Sara Blvd. 87124 should be the zip code.
My mother was able to prepay for a few years and get a small 'plot' for the urn as well. I do not remember it costing too much, but my mother may not have been 100% honest either..
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 07:20 pm
@dyslexia,
BBB does. She's had one for as long as I can remember clear back into my teen years.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 07:34 pm
Reminds me of my aunt, whom I loved, but she drove her daughters nutso. She was dying, dying, at sixty with all sorts of dread talk. She died approaching 101.

I figure BBB was being efficient.

Me, I can't afford to die.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 08:32 pm
Compare the cost of a funeral to the cost of cremation. That ought to convince you. . . .

Besides, you can still have a "showing" for the family, if you want to.

Be sure to make arrangements/requests for what to do with the ashes, too. Otherwise, you may sit in the closet for years instead of riding the waves of the Pacific, like you wanted to . . .
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:12 pm
Oh yeah.
Spend eternity floating in fish pee.

MMmm HHmmm. Sure bub.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:20 pm
@sullyfish6,
Good point. I'm not sure the Neptune Society can be accessed in New Mexico, but there must be something of the sort.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:22 pm
@sullyfish6,
I'm fond of a few places, including my own spots re the Pacific. But that is all some kind of balloon fantasia which has nothing to do with me as a person. I figure I'll be in the dump.
Much has ceremony, which does have value.
A long time pal had a show on PBS called something like Ceremony of Innocents.
I can't speak to that as I never saw it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:25 pm
@sullyfish6,
there isn't any question of what we ought to do, the only question we have is in terms of contractual arrangements that need to be made and what might be issues we want to avoid such a we don't want any kind of services/caskets etc. for all we care we just want a box of ashes that be tossed at the dump.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:28 pm
@dyslexia,
I look on all that as a luxury, and past that, sort of iffy.

Don't just sign stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 09:36 pm
I get literature in the mail almost daily, offering cremation, hospice services and the like. Hope they don't know something I don't.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:10 pm
Make sure the contract doesn't have an "All services muxst be used by..." date in it.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:12 pm
@dyslexia,
it would be greener if you kept the box that you went in

cya at the after party
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:49 am
@dyslexia,
I am opting for "green burial"....just slapped in some sort of decomposable cloth, and tossed in to become fertiliser.

Cremation is polluting.

Just a thought....
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:05 am
yeah, deb, that's pretty much the way I've thought of going myself. Not particularly soon, to be sure, but eventually.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:09 am
@dlowan,
We might have tighter rules on what you can do with a body, around here. Well, the swamps of New Jersey aren't half full, but them undertakers seem to have a powerful lobby, and dead people don't vote.
dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:14 am
@roger,
You might.....I still need to investigate. I have only recently heard of this.

Monterey J: On ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:16 am
@dlowan,
... & being buried standing up (as opposed to a horizontal grave) is now being encouraged, as limited space in cemeteries becomes an issue. The lengths we have to go to, to do the right thing! Wink

roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:17 am
@msolga,
Stand up. Keep your elbows at your sides. No smoking.

Some people just can't feel important if they're not telling other people what to do.