The benefits of meditation.

JLNobody

Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:25 am
@thflower,
I like your statement, especiallly how meditation "harmonizes and OPENS your heart..." (but to "universal love and infinite knowledge" is a bit much for me). I like to think it opens one's heart and mind to the ordinary, everyday events and experiences of the here and now.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:38 am
@bulldogcoma,
As I understand it, the best approach to meditation is to do it for its own sake. Without purpose or ambition of any kind. It is simply the "purist" state of existence (ugh! what a corny phrase, but I can't think of a better one right now). You want to be no more than what you are at the moment--without identifying labels and evaluations, just the simple, moving experience of the moment, exactly as it is on its own terms. Sit and watch without any gaining attitude or expectations. Sit and look for its own sake. It's like a drink of cool clear water on a hot thirsty day.
bulldogcoma

Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:07 pm
@JLNobody,
That's exactly how I felt about it, and I think Mathiessan exemplifies this very well through his statement. Sorry if I confused anyone by saying that was the 'point' of meditation, because having a point in mind would invalidate stillness of mind and uninterrupted consciousness.
0 Replies

bulldogcoma

Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ummmm... Did I imply that I was trying to be factual? Also, just because something can't be measured objectively doesn't mean that it doesn't have a degree of truth. Meditation is something that will allow one to harmonize one's existence with the nature of things and blur boundaries between the self and others.. Facts concerning the history of meditation or others take on the practice should be reported in concordance with the way they were recorded, but I'm reporting my own take on what another westerner thought about the benefits of aligning with universal consciousness. Its not meant to be taken as 100% factual, its just something to think about.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:05 pm
@bulldogcoma,
bulldogcoma wrote:
Ummmm... Did I imply that I was trying to be factual? Also, just because something can't be measured objectively doesn't mean that it doesn't have a degree of truth. Meditation is something that will allow one to harmonize one's existence with the nature of things and blur boundaries between the self and others.. Facts concerning the history of meditation or others take on the practice should be reported in concordance with the way they were recorded, but I'm reporting my own take on what another westerner thought about the benefits of aligning with universal consciousness. Its not meant to be taken as 100% factual, its just something to think about.
How can u think about it,
if u believe it to be less than 1OO% true?????
In that event, what is your thawt process ???
bulldogcoma

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 01:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
How can I know something to be 100% true without thinking about it first?
JLNobody

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 11:03 am
@bulldogcoma,
Thinking may cause us to believe falsehoods. It all depends on the QUALITY of cognition.
bulldogcoma

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 04:21 pm
@JLNobody,
But cognition still mainly involves thought unless you can train your brain not to make hasty assumptions through something like meditation... Although I totally agree that thinking can muddy up the borders between fiction and reality
JLNobody

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 09:06 pm
@bulldogcoma,
Yes, cognition IS thought. By "training" your brain you are referring to the craft of critical thinking?
bulldogcoma

Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:53 pm
@JLNobody,
That's one way to train the brain, surely, but the type of training I'm referring to involves getting to a baser level of perception which allows the individual to shirk subconscious assumptions before allowing them to dominate what one's first impression of something would be. The story of the monk with the sweaty palms illustrates this well. Said monk came into contact with a powerful political figure and, unwittingly, found himself sweating due to the association of high status that accompanied said figure. Part of his training in becoming a teacher involved recognizing the sameness in all human beings, but he obviously was still struggling with this. Thus, due to social stereotyping and subliminal conditioning, we come to assumptions based on what we believe in others to be power, status, ect.. When one can bypass this filter and see things without shaping them to a personal standard and become simply a passive observer, one can begin to perceive realistically. Of course, it will always help to be able to associate certain things with subconscious reactions, such as in dangerous situations, but its always good to find yourself past the red tape without having to do much cutting. Meditation is something that would be helpful in shaping ones mind in this direction. Once these borderlines are broken down, you can get to the root of things easier, and by doing so think more critically, and hopefully become more empathetic.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 01:56 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Signature
I celebrate the fact that eventually I and all my fellow human beings will find absolute peace...
the peace preceding our birth.
Yes. It was well put by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
He was adroit in observing that:
"we think of ourselves as human beings, with occasional spiritual experiences,
but we are spiritual beings, with occasional human experiences."

David
JLNobody

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
In my opinion Chopra Deepak and Wayne Dwyer are the equivalents of the Indian fakir. Do you really see any sense in the Chopra quote?
demonhunter

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:48 pm
@JLNobody,
troll poop.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:02 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
In my opinion Chopra Deepak and Wayne Dwyer are the equivalents of the Indian fakir.
Do you really see any sense in the Chopra quote?
Yes

David
demonhunter

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Still trolling.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:05 pm
@demonhunter,
demonhunter wrote:
Still trolling.
Hay, I got an idea!
Y don 't we reciprocally put each other on Ignore?!!! That 'll be fun, right??????????

How about it ???
demonhunter

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thats cool. I got plenty more identities. TROLL or truth dude.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:09 pm
@demonhunter,
demonhunter wrote:
Thats cool. I got plenty more identities. TROLL or truth dude.
I see. I thought we left that problem behind with Abuzz.
I must have been naive. U r a slippery sort of fellow. Well, u can 't do any real harm.
demonhunter

Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Not trying to harm nobody. just want the truth. I look up to you guys. as always, you are in conTROLL
0 Replies

igm

Mon 9 Apr, 2012 07:34 am
This may help:

http://www.karmapa.org/news/karmapa_meditation.htm