Are you offended by breast feeding?

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:23 am
Another story in the paper here today. Woman on a domestic flight asked by a female flight attendant to cover up because "you might be offending other passengers". (I've lost the link). I can't believe sh!t like this still goes on. A person must be very disturbed to be offended by the sight of a mother feeding her child.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 27 • Views: 6,193 • Replies: 81

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:30 am
In general, I have no problem with women breast feeding in public. However, I do think it's polite, and a nod to modesty, if a woman uses a shawl or scarf to drape herself. I like to think a woman can be a little more discreet than a cow.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:34 am
@Wilso,
Not me!

The shawl/scarf idea is nice but doesn't always work. (My baby tolerated it sometimes and sometimes would NOT put up with it.)
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:51 am
I hear the modesty argument in terms of public comfort, but it seems to carry a sort of validation that there is something to be ashamed of.

T
K
O
Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:55 am
Boobies are gross!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:21 am
@Diest TKO,
Yeh.

There were times when I'd be futilely messing with the scarf with my free hand and generally getting flustered and frustrated and be wondering why anyone ******* cared. Grrr.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:23 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
The shawl/scarf idea is nice but doesn't always work. (My baby tolerated it sometimes and sometimes would NOT put up with it.)

That was our experience as well.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:25 am
@sozobe,
I love babies. When one is in sight, I'm generally looking and reminiscing about when Yaya and Keetah were tiny.

If a woman is nursing, it's not a big deal, except I don't want her to think I'm some kind of creepy peeper.
0 Replies

godblessamerica

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:56 am
@Wilso,
I am sorry, I feel it is a very personal thing and should not be shared by the public. There are also religions who do not approve of having bare breasts flaunted in front of them. We should respect all peoples as well as the mothers and babies.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
@godblessamerica,
godblessamerica wrote:

I am sorry, I feel it is a very personal thing and should not be shared by the public. There are also religions who do not approve of having bare breasts flaunted in front of them. We should respect all peoples as well as the mothers and babies.

Those religions can deal with it. I'll draw that line. Hell yeah.

I think that given the task to raise such a small and delicate creature as a newborn, a woman is entitled to one less thing to have to manage. I'm not really sorry for those who are inconvenienced by a woman feeding her baby. If it bothers them so much, they can work out a way to advert their eyes.

Exposed breasts (of someone else) are against someone's religion? Conclusion: Dumb religion then.

Titties
Killed
Our country!

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:22 am
@Green Witch,
I agree with Greenwitch. I've breast fed and when needed would cover up in public (like on a plane). Its easy - just throw a blanket or something over you. It isn't like it is inconvenient - its just being courteous to those around you.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:22 am
GodblessAmerica (but not that way) wrote:
We should respect all peoples as well as the mothers and babies.

Maybe you could start applying what you are preaching..

How about granting mothers the right to breast feed their babies without such silly reactions?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:23 am
@DrewDad,
I guess I never had a problem with it - my kids when they were hungry didn't care as long as they were getting fed.

I would just suggest you are as discrete as possible - but besides that I could care less personally.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:24 am
Unbelievable, that people would get so verklempt over a couple of boobies. Like people have never seen them before.

This Puritan hangover that America has, I tell ya. It kills me. As if parts of people's bodies are somehow secret or wrong. It's unhealthy, this attitude that many have.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:24 am
@Diest TKO,
Some cannot even show their hair.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:30 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Some cannot even show their hair.

Well, that's a different story. the sight of hair is crude and indecent. Let's play it safe and stone the bitch and her baby.

I like Cyclo's phrasing: "Puritan Hangover." I'll be saving that one for later use.

T
K
O
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:22 am
I remember well the "gros nibards de maman". How could that offend anybody?
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:31 am
@contrex,
They seem to offend the religious bigots..
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:40 am
Women should be allowed to breast feed when and where they wish, but I reserve the right to watch intently.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:42 am

The first time we do something with our bodies that is NOT sexual, we should be ashamed. Its as if our breasts are only for sex. period. Even though they carry the milk that feeds our babies, we should be ashamed?

Babies need to EAT to live.
Some common sense should kick in to this society sometime soon.

We have health issues running rampant in this country because of the chemicals we eat. And yet, for some reason it is more acceptable for a woman to bottle feed some powder mess, then it is to BREAST feed safe food.

I almost wish I had a suckling.
I would feed them every where any where.

I do believe that it is a bit 'nice' to cover if you can, b ut we should not be made to feel bad if that just is not possible. Jillian hated to be covered. Would scream and cry. Trust me. Between a screaming baby and breastfeeding ? Most people would be ok with breastfeeding. You cant avert your ears..
0 Replies