Are you offended by breast feeding?

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:43 am
@McGentrix,
Laughing

and if everyone shared that sense of humor, they would get the stick out of their ass about seeing a piece of skin.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:45 am
With regards to the religious... It's generally not churches having problems with breast feeding, I've yet to hear of one banning a mother for it. It always seems to be some uptight individual in middle management, like head of mall security and the like..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:48 am
@McGentrix,
That's exactly the creepy peeper image I don't want to portray.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 12:04 pm
@DrewDad,
So, as a man, I am understand that women would like to be able to breastfeed their babies. My wife did and lots of women that don't, should. But, the ones that make a grand show of breast feeding their babies are looking for attention. I feel obliged to give them that attention, not up close and personal like, but I am not going to avert my eyes and stare at the ceiling. There is ample room in the world for women to find unobtrusive locations to breastfeed.

Women must realize that breast feeding makes some people uncomfortable. There is no way not to realize that... some say "to hell with them! Mah baby haz to eat!" and that's fine. But, like wearing tight clothes, you draw attention to yourself and that means I get to watch. Cool
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 12:09 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Women must realize that breast feeding makes some people uncomfortable.

And?

Religionists make me very uncomfortable.

Stinky people make me uncomfortable.

Stubborn people make me uncomfortable.

Very greedy people make me uncomfortable..

I don't even try to avert my eyes..
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 12:12 pm
This question must be somehow connected with fashion: this 'problem' was a "topic" forty years ago, and some fashion today is identical as it was 40 years ago ...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 12:36 pm
@Francis,
and? and nothing. Just realize that it makes some people uncomfortable. No hidden agenda there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 12:41 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
There is ample room in the world for women to find unobtrusive locations to breastfeed.

Lots of people think this but it ain't so. The story that Wilso is talking about is on an airplane, for example. Assuming the seatbelt lights were off, where is she going to go? The airplane bathroom? I've tried that, and it's murder. There's nowhere to sit (except the toilet itself) and after about 6 months it took more strength than I possessed to just hold the baby in place for any length of time -- and when she needed to eat, it was usually about 20 minutes per side.

OK so that's an airplane, you say. It held true nearly everywhere, though. Bathroom breastfeeding is gross and grossly uncomfortable. If you are not in a bathroom, where are you?

My favorite place to go when sozlet was a baby was a horrible suburban mall with nothing of interest in it... except for its nursing room. I knew that I could stroll around in public and be able to make a quick break for the nursing room if need be, where I could actually feed her in peace, without all the offended people glaring at me.

Women were actually usually the worst -- the men would be clueless or else do the "I'm not looking I swear I'm not looking" thing. Women -- especially older women, but a wide variety -- would more often see fit to make their disapproval known.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:12 pm
@McGentrix,
Yup. Creepy.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:20 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:

Women were actually usually the worst -- the men would be clueless or else do the "I'm not looking I swear I'm not looking" thing. Women -- especially older women, but a wide variety -- would more often see fit to make their disapproval known.

Hahaaha, I've made that face many times.

We have a big swimming pool in Austin which is basically a dammed-up stream, known as Barton Springs. It gets pretty crowded when it's hot, and it's a popular place for women to go topless while sunbathing and swimming. It took a while for me to acclimate, but eventually I learned the trick of staring out of the corners of my eye.

I mean, you don't want to be rude, but I wonder if you women understand that men can't not look. It's just in our DNA to look. The best we can hope to do is contain it Laughing

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:35 pm
@DrewDad,
Hold on a second and I will pretend to care about your judgment...

There.

Whew! I can go on with life now! Yay, me!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:38 pm
@Wilso,
Personally, I have no problem with a mother feeding her infant in the most natural way possible. Saying that, if I were breast feeding, I would have some consideration for those who feel differently, and would be as discreet as possible.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
First time I went there I was about 14. I almost walked into the pool....

And it's much more than a stream. You can swim down and see the spring vents.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:55 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

First time I went there I was about 14. I almost walked into the pool....

And it's much more than a stream. You can swim down and see the spring vents.

Yeah it's pretty big, guess 'stream' isn't the right word for it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 02:33 pm
I must say I find it a beautiful sight. Possibly, under the right conditions, the most beautiful sight the world has to offer. The sight of the soft white breast of a young English rose sat on a sofa hoiked from inside a satin blouse and being greedily drained by a little lad with his legs kicking and his nappy full of **** brings a lump to my throat and I'm not known for being sentimental.

How anybody could possibly be offended I can't image.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 02:52 pm
@godblessamerica,
godblessamerica wrote:

I am sorry, I feel it is a very personal thing and should not be shared by the public. There are also religions who do not approve of having bare breasts flaunted in front of them. We should respect all peoples as well as the mothers and babies.

Those are the same people who have nothing against the most violent movies
shown to a PG-13 crowd, but gawd forbid, anyone would have a glimpse of
a breast, that will scar them for life, eh? Sick, sick, sick!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 02:57 pm
I watched a doco on TV once about women who still breastfed when the child is 7 years old and she was not the only mother that did that.... that is just not right.
Francis

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:01 pm
@KiwiChic,
KiwicChic wrote:
that is just not right.

Unless the mothers have nothing else to feed the kids with...
KiwiChic

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:03 pm
@Francis,
Not talking about 3rd world countries....
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:09 pm
@Wilso,
Depends how old the child is. This is offputting:

As to breastfeeding in public, I have no qualm with a naked boob, but I get some of the uncomfortable part. As a teenager I was once in a crowded subway I was shoved up against a woman with beautiful boobs who was breastfeeding. I didn't want to ogle her, so I looked away, but there wasn't much room to do so and it was awkward staring up at the ceiling like that.