Are you offended by breast feeding?

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not just about the age thing - but the children seem to have command of her.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep that was what I was talking about......
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:40 pm
We have the sort of business that a woman would feel comfortable breast feeding her baby and I have no problem with it, but I always offer for them to go into our personal garden to have some privacy. The reason for this is that I have a variety of young men who work for me all under the age of 24. At that age men don't care if a baby is hanging off of it - a boob is sexual to them. We had two situations where I felt the woman was not being respected. In one case it was a young attractive mother and the guys were obviously checking her out (and not to see the cute baby). In the other situation the mother was not attractive and very overweight. For days after chubby mom, I had to hear about how gross her (breasts) were, what guy would want to touch those dangly (breasts)?, did you see her stretch marks and big blue veins? etc. I finally told them to shut up, at least around me. So if women think they are not being judged as much as if they were wearing a bikini they are wrong. I'm sure many women don't care either way, but I think it naive to believe everyone is going to shrug and say "it's just natural".

Eva

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:59 pm
I remember when I was breastfeeding SonofEva. One day the two of us were at the zoo, and I spied a picnic table and benches about 70 ft. away from the sidewalks. It was in the shade, and I thought it would be a perfect spot to feed him. Just far enough away from people, but not so far it was inconvenient. But a couple of men kept edging closer and closer, obviously trying to get a better look. At first I just turned around. Then, when they walked around us the other way, I packed up the crying baby and left. Very creepy. Made me feel like I was doing something indecent, and that's just wrong.

I really resented godblessamerica's comment that equated breastfeeding with "flaunting bare breasts." Virtually every mother I've ever known who had to breastfeed in public (let's face it, it's much more comfortable at home, but not always possible) used a blanket or arranged her top so you could barely see anything. And yet, we've all got stories about oglers. (sigh)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 04:11 pm
@godblessamerica,
godblessamerica wrote:

I am sorry, I feel it is a very personal thing and should not be shared by the public. There are also religions who do not approve of having bare breasts flaunted in front of them. We should respect all peoples as well as the mothers and babies.

You know there's a wide variety of counseling services and medications these days that could help you deal with that.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:05 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso, sometimes you sound like the fundamentalists you profess to hate. GBA hardly said anything that deserves such a mean response. Can't you disagree without ridiculing?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The interesting thing about that stuff is we are hearing how kids feel about breast-feeding and breast milk, for the first time, in my experience.

It's icky, in my view, but fascinating.

Breatsfeeding babies?

Have at it.

I think anyone offended is nuts.

But it CAN be done quite discreetly, if people around you are gonna be nuts.

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:30 pm
@godblessamerica,
godblessamerica wrote:

I am sorry, I feel it is a very personal thing and should not be shared by the public. There are also religions who do not approve of having bare breasts flaunted in front of them. We should respect all peoples as well as the mothers and babies.

There's no way that should be tolerated in public.

The breastfeeding, however, couldn't be more natural and a breastfeeding woman should do as she pleases wherever the hell she likes.

Respect all peoples, huh? There are people who find uncovered women's faces offensive, does your respect extend that far? What about women who go topless, I assume you expect them not to do that anymore?

"Respect." Easy word to say. Yet to see anyone manage it consistently.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:38 pm
@Wilso,
i gather that it is literally offensive

they're your laws
dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 02:46 am
@Green Witch,
In breast obsessed cultures.

In lots of traditional aboriginal communities, for instance, breasts are simply child feeding devices.

Though sex and sexuality carries all kinds of strict taboos, breasts are simply no big deal.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 03:42 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

We have the sort of business that a woman would feel comfortable breast feeding her baby and I have no problem with it, but I always offer for them to go into our personal garden to have some privacy. The reason for this is that I have a variety of young men who work for me all under the age of 24. At that age men don't care if a baby is hanging off of it - a boob is sexual to them. We had two situations where I felt the woman was not being respected. In one case it was a young attractive mother and the guys were obviously checking her out (and not to see the cute baby). In the other situation the mother was not attractive and very overweight. For days after chubby mom, I had to hear about how gross her (breasts) were, what guy would want to touch those dangly (breasts)?, did you see her stretch marks and big blue veins? etc. I finally told them to shut up, at least around me. So if women think they are not being judged as much as if they were wearing a bikini they are wrong. I'm sure many women don't care either way, but I think it naive to believe everyone is going to shrug and say "it's just natural".

But, it IS natural. These guys were obviously being sleazy. It seems somehow unfair for them people to have to adapt to them (and not the other way around). Maybe they should have been confronted at the moment. These types usually deflate when confronted.

I don't know... I'd probably have some words with people if they did this in front of me.

T
K
O
Wilso

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:24 am
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup wrote:

i gather that it is literally offensive

they're your laws

No, it is not literally offensive, and you're not referring to any laws either in the country that I live in, or in my personal beliefs.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 01:47 pm
In North America, it's socially and legally more acceptable to show someone's head being blown clear off, than it is to show breasts and genitalia.

Talk about a distorted and sick set of fucked up priorities!
Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 07:44 pm
@Chumly,
Amen!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:57 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Green Witch wrote:

We have the sort of business that a woman would feel comfortable breast feeding her baby and I have no problem with it, but I always offer for them to go into our personal garden to have some privacy. The reason for this is that I have a variety of young men who work for me all under the age of 24. At that age men don't care if a baby is hanging off of it - a boob is sexual to them. -------------For days after chubby mom, I had to hear about how gross her (breasts) were, what guy would want to touch those dangly (breasts)?,

These guys were obviously being sleazy.

It is NOT always the men. That is just it.
It is a mindset and it belongs to both men and women .

Women , I think it was Soz who pointed it out, are far more judgmental to each other then the majority of men are. A woman sees another woman doing something sexual, or something she sees as sexual and she might as well string her up in the firing range.

It is because of this mindset that women should cover themselves. Unfortunately.
Because it is those people who make breastfeeding nasty, rude and unacceptable. That behavior, those stares, that feeling of discomfort, you and your baby sit in all day. It is like having something poured on you out of pure disgust and the person who did it just walks away.
People do not realize how hateful they are and how out of line their behavior can be.

These are the people who need to get the stick out of their ass.

Has anyone ever really watched a woman breastfeed with the purpose of trying to tell how much skin / boob you see? Generally you only see about as much as a low cut blouse will show. The deep part of cleavage right against the sternum. Thats it. If you really watch, you may get a flash of her nipple. But generally speaking, unless the baby pulls away mid feed, the woman is an absolute expert at keeping herself hidden.

This society purchases g strings for 6 year olds that say kiss me , wears jeans that are designed to show your ass crack, and promotes our young men to wear pants so baggy their entire ass shows.

Yet, about 3 inches of skin makes some people lose their god damn mind. Laughing

When we live in a society that is hell bent on allowing violence to be a comfortable part of family life and considered " a good tv show for the whole family" you get a twisted set of acceptable rules and behaviors.

The mother who grabs her kid and spanks them as hard as she can in public for dropping JUICE is looked at as " oh.. well. she is just having a bad day."
But the woman who is holding her child and feeding them is a whore. Only looking for attention. Flaunting herself. Indecent. You name it..

America has a lot of problems.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 12:46 pm
@dlowan,
Offended is the wrong word. I will go against the grain here and say I'm not enthusiastic about this resurgence in 'breast feeding in public is a-ok and to think otherwise is to be a fundamentalist freak'. lol.

I don't have a problem with breast feeding. And I don't even have a problem with it in public, given that it isn't in-your-face. And by in-your-face I personally mean not necessarily always restricted to certain areas or making sure a shawl is 100% covering baby and boob. I just mean being considerate of others, same you would if you had to address some medical issue going on that required a bit of boobage.

In response to what Dlowan said "In some aboriginal communities, for instance, breasts are simply child feeding devices."
^ In a related thought to that, it is the 'aboriginal communities' that have mostly soured me to breastfeeding in public like it is nothing out of the ordinary.

Ok, I live in the unofficial 'reservation city province' of Canada, have travelled and been around plenty of people who think nothing of "taking out a tit" as I've heard it so eloquently put several times now.

Well you don't need to take out a tit as a political statement. It is THAT which offends me. I'm a moderate. I have no problem with tits nor babies nor eating.

But don't use your kids as a way to try to make your own political statement. That is what bothers me. And it bothers me when people do it the other way too - kids don't need to be forced to be wearing walmart cloth 'hand made' hutterite dresses and shawls because the folks believe in it.

I wish people would stop using their kids to make their own points.
Ceili

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 03:26 pm
@mushypancakes,
So, let me get this right... The resurgance of breast feeding pisses you off when,
a. it's political
b. done by obviously religious people, particularly Anabaptists.
c. it's a brown tit.

I get it, the moderates ideal. Better to starve the child than feed your prejudice....
Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 03:49 pm
There wouldn't be a need for "political statements" if there weren't so many f@cked up freaks who were offended in the first place.
spendius

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:03 pm
@Wilso,
It's not often you and I agree Wilso and I'm glad it is on something important.
0 Replies

Rachel Muse

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 03:02 am
@Wilso,
Breast feeding is a sacred behavior in human's nature. However, I would be very appreciated if this mother could cover her breast and lovely baby with a thin scarves. It will be very ok for baby to have a good dinner and also good for other people around. Sometimes, I may turn to look other places when I come across that scene. It is very embarrassed to see breasts in public.