Swine Flu/H1n1 (whatever) should change travel plans

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 10:56 am
If we can afford it, we are planning a little trip end of the year. Thinking it would be nice to meet up with some friends and/or family, we've asked if anyone would have time off and would like to meet up with us. We had thought of a few destinations to vacation.

One was Mexico. The response we received on that was - No way, I don't think I want to go to Mexico. I just figured maybe they don't like Mexico - well come to find out it was because of Swine Flu. I wasn't worried about it. I mean we have swine flu here and I'm not running away or hiding. I'm taking normal healthy precautions similar to any flu season - washings hands, etc.

Should I be worried? Should I be avoiding certain places because of swine flu? Oddly one place they mentioned (which is too far for us and too expensive) was Hawaii - I figured I'm more worried about a tsunami now than swine flu.

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:04 am
@Linkat,
I'm avoiding Ames Iowas and Memphis Tenn. Other than that I ready to go.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
@Linkat,
I wouldn't let it interfere with domestic travel plans. I might be concerned about having to board a flight if I had acquired a fever from whatever source. Wouldn't want to get stuck in hong kong hilton for a few weeks because they wouldn't let me on the plane.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:14 am
@Linkat,
I am going to Mexico this fall-- and there is no indication that it is any more dangerous than the U.S. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_by_country ).

But then again, when have human beings ever been rational about these things.

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:20 am
@ebrown p,
I usually avoid mexico until after easter season, that's when the turistas leave
ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:23 am
@dyslexia,
The places I go (to visit friends and family), there are no tourists. For all the times I have been in Mexico, I have never once seen a beach.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:32 am
@ebrown p,
I have no friends or family, I go to mexico to find someone to adopt me, being on a beach would just be a bonus. I like Kino, The tourists stay at the hotel on the hill an I pretty much live under a palapa on the Mar de Cortez beach.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:28 pm
@ebrown p,
My thoughts as well - my husband can be a bit extreme. I told him I wouldn't let that stop me as we have the flu here. I didn't go into how people die from our regular seasonal flu as I don't know what he would do with that information. Actually I am able to reason somewhat with him, it is his b-i-l that seems to be against.

With kids in tow, I would probably do the tourist sit on a beach in Cancun type of thing. I don't care if it is touristy as long as they keep the colodas and ritas coming.

Looks like the only place that is safe is some parts of Africa - but there I am likely to get ebola.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:29 pm
And still better than another of their thoughts - Orlando and Disney - now that is insane during that vacation week. I rather fight the flu.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
@Linkat,
You probably have a greater chance of encountering the Swine Flu (which has been seen with increasing frequency among American school children) in Orlando/Disney then you would in Cancun.
roger

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:57 pm
@ebrown p,
Un huh. Avoid crowds of kids at all costs. They're a bunch of little petri dishes and incubators.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:03 pm
@roger,
Yep, I would take my chances with bikini-clad adults...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:34 pm
@Linkat,
Don't you guys have the vaccine yet?

It's rolling out here.

Only for folk older than 10 so far, but it's expected kid testing will finish soon, and it'll be approved for the littlies.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:35 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
If we can afford it, we are planning a little trip end of the year.

I wouldn't let H1N1 concerns affect your travel plans as long as everyone has gotten the vaccination.

If you're planning on not getting the vaccination, then I'd recommend being careful.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:36 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Don't you guys have the vaccine yet?

It's "close" to being released, so it sounds like a couple of weeks before it's released here.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 03:03 pm
@roger,
Kinda of difficult when I have a couple of those rug rats as well.

Although when I was single and fun and without kids, I went to DisneyWorld with a group of my friends. I came home with hand/foot/mouth - which the doctor explained to me was typically carried by young children and asked if I had been around them recently. Damn kids are walking bacteria carriers.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 03:03 pm
@dlowan,
Not sure when - but my youngest has a doctor's appt next month so I'm hoping it will be available for her then.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 04:13 pm
@dlowan,
Well, there are always safety concerns with a new vaccine. Let us know how it works out, okay?
dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 04:53 pm
@roger,
Needle-phobic.

I will be burying my head in the sand.
Reyn

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 09:01 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
If you're planning on not getting the vaccination, then I'd recommend being careful.

H1N1 vaccinations are starting here in British Columbia tomorrow, for high risk people.

Anyone know what side effects can be expected from this shot?

I'm in the group of folks that have a compromised immune system from cancer treatments years ago. So, depending on the side efects, I'm wondering whether or not to get it.