Dog can’t stay still while pooping

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:28 am
My puppy keeps moving while he is pooping. This may seem funny to you, but it is a pain in the a$$ for me especially when it is dark. I am forced to search for the poop in various spots to scoop it up. And since I am a considerate neighbor, I do want to make sure I clean up after him. Any way to get him to stay still without holding him (too gross for me and I’d like to give him some privacy)?

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:06 am
He is moving so that the poop drops off away from him. It's a common thing, especially in little dogs. Drives my SIL nuts with her yappy Pom-Poo.

chai2

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:07 am
maybe put some food down so his attention will be on that while he poops?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:16 am
@sullyfish6,
Really? I just figured it was because he was a puppy and can't stay still.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:19 am
@Linkat,
Pretty standard for dogs to move forward/away from their poop as they're in action.

I used to always carry a small flashlight when I took the dogs out at night. Now I try to encourage them to poop in better lit areas. They're usually accommodating.
boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:19 am
Is his poop really hard?

My dog does that when he's eaten something hard to digest.

Maybe you could try switching his food to one of the "highly digestable" foods.
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:26 am
Our girl dog does that, but especially when she has the runs . . . it can be quite entertaining, as long as you don't think about the fact that you'll have to clean it up.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:27 am
@ehBeth,
I carry a flashlight as well. He doesn't just scoot a little though - he moves a good amount so even with light I am searching to make sure I get every little (s)crap. Being small it makes it even more difficult. If I had a Great Dane I wouldn't have the same problem finding the poop.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:28 am
@boomerang,
It is rare for it to be hard (and I thought parents talking about poop was insane). If anything it is more on the squishy side.
0 Replies