2

Legalized abortion and crime rates

ehBeth

1  
Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:19 pm
@dlowan,
Isn't it.

I could write pages and pages about the wonderful instructors I had that year. It was a real highlight of my time at university. Mel Lerner and his "myth of the just society" was another head-spinner that year.

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/iie/v3n2/justworld.html

Mel and his wife Sally (my undergrad faculty advisor) worked with Ken Kesey at the hospital where One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was set. They both had stories Shocked of those days.

~~~

and that's tonight's digression from the corner of Lake Ontario

Robert Gentel

1  
Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:38 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Thanks for the article, Robert. It was also written by one of the Freakonomics guys!

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. It is the actual study that Freakanomics itself is referencing in the portions about abortion.

I confess my eyes glaze over when I see something like "ln(ARRESTSstb) = b1ABORTsb + ãs + ëtb + èst + åstb)" or "ln(CRIMEst) = b1ABORTst + XstÈ + ãs + ët + åst".

That's why there are two authors of Freakanomics, Steven Levitt is the guy who did the hard thinking and Stephen J. Dubner is the guy who can help write it in an engaging and accessible way.