FIRST IT IS THE BIRTHERS, AND NOW IT IS THE TENTHERS

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:08 am
The Right's 'Tenther' Constitution

In a recent Fox News interview, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) accused health care reform supporters of "forg[etting] what the Constitution says." Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC), who once called for his Party to defeat health reform because it will "break" President Obama, claimed that health reform violates the Tenth Amendment and urged state legislators and governors to "champion individual freedom" by resisting the bill. Numerous state lawmakers -- including secessionist Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) -- have struck a similar tone, endorsing "state sovereignty resolutions" that demand the federal government "cease and desist" enforcing many laws with which conservatives disagree. (Emboldened by Perry's hardline stance, Texas "tenthers" held a pro-secession rally at the state capital yesterday, demanding that their political opponents "go back to the U.S. where you belong.") Indeed, while "birther" conspiracy theorists make increasingly outlandish attempts to dismantle President Obama's legitimacy, "tenther" constitutionalists like Bachmann, DeMint, and Perry hope to dismantle an entire century's worth of progressive legislation.

THE 'TENTHER' AGENDA: In a nutshell, tenthers believe that President Franklin Delano Roosevelt led an illegal coup against the U.S. Constitution, exploiting the passions of the Depression Era to expand federal power to unconstitutional levels. Killing health reform is only the beginning of their agenda. Under the tenther constitution, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, federal education funding, the Veterans Affairs health system and the G.I. Bill are all illegal. The minimum wage, the requirement that employers pay overtime wages, and the ban on child labor are all beyond Congress' power to enact, and the federal ban on whites-only lunch counters is an unlawful encroachment on local business. Indeed, nearly every single law that Americans cherish -- from laws protecting workers' right to organize to laws forbidding race and gender discrimination -- could be eliminated overnight if the tenther constitution ever became law. One prominent tenther, a Texas official charged with rewriting that state's public school textbooks, even declared the federal highway system to be unconstitutional.

DISTORTING THE DOCUMENT: Tenthers derive their narrow vision of the Constitution from a strained reading of the Tenth Amendment, which provides that the Constitution contains an itemized list of federal powers and anything not contained in that list is beyond Congress' authority. In the tenthers' eyes, Congress' powers must all be read too narrowly to allow most federal statutes to exist. However, the tenther constitution bears little resemblance to the words of the document itself. Contrary to tenther claims that federal spending programs like Medicare or Social Security are unconstitutional, Article I of the Constitution empowers Congress to "lay and collect taxes" and to "provide for...the general welfare of the United States," which unambiguously authorizes it to spend money in ways that benefit the nation. Similarly, Congress' broad authority to enact regulatory schemes that "substantially affect interstate commerce" easily encompasses laws like the federal minimum wage and the requirement that businesses do not discriminate on the basis of race. As Roosevelt chided tenther-like conservatives from his era, "The Constitution of 1787 did not make our democracy impotent."

A LEGACY OF RADICALISM: Sadly, tentherism's assault on democracy is nothing new; indeed, retreat to outlandish constitutional theories is a favorite tactic of the right during times of historic upheaval. Tenther "state sovereignty resolutions" are little more than new names for the "interposition resolutions" enacted by southern states in the immediate wake of Brown v. Board of Education, which claimed that the federal government exceeded its constitutional authority when it extended the Constitution's promise of "equal protection of the laws" to the American South. Tenther claims that health reform is unconstitutional -- because the Constitution does not specifically use the words "health care" -- echo the infamous Southern Manifesto's argument that Brown was wrong because the "Constitution does not mention education." Much of the intellectual framework for tenther assaults on economic regulation comes from discredited Depression-era Supreme Court decisions that struck down essential provisions of the New Deal on the grounds that they exceeded Congress' lawful authority. Indeed, conservatives even justified the greatest act of treason in American history, the Civil War, by claiming that that the Constitution permits each state to leave the union at will. Now that America is slowly emerging from its most recent crisis, tenthers once again hope to exploit the nation's fears to fuel a radical constitutional agenda.

-- americanprogressaction.org

Amendment X

The Tenth Amendment

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 2,362 • Replies: 44

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:14 am
It used to be called "state's rights".
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:17 am
This'll go on for another seven years, you know. After that Obama can't run for re-election and the Gruesome Old Phossils will have to find another target of opportunity. It's sad, pathetic, all that. Somehow, it's also hilarious.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:22 am
Besides, they are all racists anyways.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:24 am
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
It used to be called "state's rights".

This has nothing whatever to do with state's rights. Providing Federal assistance to US citizens in no way impinges on the rights of states to take similar measures at the state level.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:

I know that you think you're being ironic, McG, but the sad fact is that most of them are, in fact, racists.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:50 am
so then we can expect that crowd to keep their individual traps shut regarding individual liberties such as Death with Dignity, Gay Marriage, Women's Reproductive Rights, Medical Marijuana and any other of the culture war stuff, right?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:52 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

I know that you think you're being ironic, McG, but the sad fact is that most of them are, in fact, racists.

Yes, I am sure you believe that which is quite sad actually.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:54 am
yesterday i posted this video from the "secessionist rally" down in texas that the articale mentioned...
http://able2know.org/topic/135931-1
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 11:56 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

Well, if a whole lot of people on your side of the fence would quit it with the quasi-racist comments and attitudes, maybe people wouldn't think this.

The funny thing is, that you guys don't think the other side hears your 'code words' as well as your constituents do. They do hear them. This is the primary reason that GOP support amongst minority groups is in the shitter, and that's really going to hurt in the upcoming years.

Cycloptichorn
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:04 pm
yup.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

Well, if a whole lot of people on your side of the fence would quit it with the quasi-racist comments and attitudes, maybe people wouldn't think this.

The funny thing is, that you guys don't think the other side hears your 'code words' as well as your constituents do. They do hear them. This is the primary reason that GOP support amongst minority groups is in the shitter, and that's really going to hurt in the upcoming years.

Cycloptichorn

Code words? Like when they say "the President", they meant nigger? How come no one shipped me the manual with these code words in them?

I posted a prediction awhile ago that basically said that any criticism of Obama will be considered racist and apparently it was right on the money as that's all I hear from the left. If you criticize Obama, you are a racist and it's so f'ing stupid. It is quite possible, and I know it's hard for your side to realize this, but it really is possible to dislike a policy without caring one iota about what color a person is. Obama could be white as driven snow and I would make the same exact criticisms I have been. So would most people regardless of what you guys think.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:12 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
McGentrix wrote:

Code words? Like when they say "the President", they meant nigger? How come no one shipped me the manual with these code words in them?

I posted a prediction awhile ago that basically said that any criticism of Obama will be considered racist and apparently it was right on the money as that's all I hear from the left. If you criticize Obama, you are a racist and it's so f'ing stupid. It is quite possible, and I know it's hard for your side to realize this, but it really is possible to dislike a policy without caring one iota about what color a person is. Obama could be white as driven snow and I would make the same exact criticisms I have been. So would most people regardless of what you guys think.

Jesus Christ, McG. Don't be obtuse. I'm not even talking about Obama, not in the slightest. The GOP's barely-concealed disdain of minorities and their issues was around long before and will remain long after Obama leaves.

I'm talking about the Republican dream for America the 'way it used to be.' This means, back when whites were the overwhelming majority almost everywhere. Republican anti-immigrant sentiment and slurs towards Hispanics. Anti-black sentiment on the part of your media leaders and pundits; the New Republic was founded by a racist and made famous by advocating white superiority. Negativity towards Women's equality issues, negativity towards issues relating to the poor. The 'war on Christmas.' The insistence that America is a 'Christian nation' with all that entails. The drive to make Christianity the source of our laws - your runner-up candidate for president ran SPECIFICALLY on that platform. The anti-gay attitudes. The anti-European attitude. The anti-everything attitude.

In general, if it isn't white, male, and rich, you can find plenty of Republicans willing to knock it. And the thing is, it isn't even fringe members of your party who do it; it's your leadership. And then you wonder why minorities don't vote Republican.

You need to take your head out of the ******* sand, McG. Your party, in many small ways, goes out of it's way to knock minorities on pretty much a daily basis.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm talking about the Republican dream for America the 'way it used to be.' This means, back when whites were the overwhelming majority almost everywhere. Republican anti-immigrant sentiment and slurs towards Hispanics. Anti-black sentiment on the part of your media leaders and pundits;

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. None of that is true and you are appealing to extremes.

Quote:
the New Republic was founded by a racist and made famous by advocating white superiority.

That's just simple bullshit.

Quote:
Negativity towards Women's equality issues, negativity towards issues relating to the poor. The 'war on Christmas.' The insistence that America is a 'Christian nation' with all that entails. The drive to make Christianity the source of our laws - your runner-up candidate for president ran SPECIFICALLY on that platform. The anti-gay attitudes. The anti-European attitude. The anti-everything attitude.

More bullshit, but I am getting a clearer picture of your innate hatred and envy of your fellow Americans.

Quote:
In general, if it isn't white, male, and rich, you can find plenty of Republicans willing to knock it. And the thing is, it isn't even fringe members of your party who do it; it's your leadership. And then you wonder why minorities don't vote Republican.

Cycloptichorn

You apparently have no idea what being a Republican is actually about. You have listed a litany of bullshit showing what you think to be the problems of the Republican party without realizing that the same exact things can be said about the Democratic party. Your appeal to extremes is noted however as you almost always try to make the opposing party to be in the dimmest light you can find. I pity you for your hatred and pent up anger. Someday you will realize how wrong you are and that hatred will dissipate. Until then, I might suggest talking to a professional and getting some help.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
..Your party, in many small ways, goes out of it's way to knock minorities on pretty much a daily basis...

everything you said. and with this small addition;

"Y.... (the GOP) , in many small ways, goes out of it's way to knock (anyone not 100% in agreement with them) on pretty much a daily basis..."

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:40 pm
Certainly the anti-Muslim and anti-Arab sentiment has been coming through loud and clear for the last eight years.

And if it is so easy to demonize one segment of society, why wouldn't it be easy to demonize another segment of society?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:46 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. None of that is true and you are appealing to extremes.

Actually, it's all true. See, I can rebut with meaningless assertions too, it's easy!

Quote:
Quote:

the New Republic was founded by a racist and made famous by advocating white superiority.

Don't be a ******* moron. WFBuckley clearly was a white supremacist who advocated the continue rule of whites in the south due to their genetic superiority. This isn't even an opinion, he specifically stated this in his writing; and this is what lead the NR to it's prominence amongst your group.

Skipping more useless protests from you,

Quote:

You apparently have no idea what being a Republican is actually about.

Apparently none of you have any idea what you are about, either; because the things you SAY you are about don't match your actual party. At all.

Quote:
You have listed a litany of bullshit showing what you think to be the problems of the Republican party without realizing that the same exact things can be said about the Democratic party.

Bullshit. You'd be hard pressed to find examples of the Dems going out of their way to support white, male causes each and every time, and put minorities and their causes down, the way Republicans do.

Quote:
Your appeal to extremes is noted however as you almost always try to make the opposing party to be in the dimmest light you can find. I pity you for your hatred and pent up anger. Someday you will realize how wrong you are and that hatred will dissipate. Until then, I might suggest talking to a professional and getting some help.

I'm not angry with you or the Republican party at all; I do believe the word you used, Pity, is far more appropriate.

I find it ironic that, given the outpouring of angst, anger, hatred, and belligerence that we have seen from your party this August, that you would claim someone else is full of 'hatred and pent-up anger.' I believe you are engaging in some projection here.

But, you'll never agree with me, b/c backing down on the internet might make you question your penis size. So, let's leave it at this: you keep insisting that none of those things are true, and that I don't know what 'real' Republicans are like or what the party is about, and us Democrats will simply keep taking ever-increasing chunks of the minority vote.

A huge part of the problem you Republicans are facing, is a complete unwillingness to engage in self-examination or self-criticism. You are doing your group proud, for sure.

If you like, I can provide quotes, articles, and sources to detail any of the allegations you claim are 'untrue.' All of these quotes will be by pundits, politicians and media leaders in your party, and all recent ones. None of these people were castigated by their fellow party members for making these statements, either. So, go on - claim that I can't provide this info, and compound your foolishness. I dare ya.

Cycloptichorn
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
and it wouldn't hurt to replace limbaugh as your party's spokesman.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Don't be a ******* moron. WFBuckley clearly was a white supremacist who advocated the continue rule of whites in the south due to their genetic superiority. This isn't even an opinion, he specifically stated this in his writing; and this is what lead the NR to it's prominence amongst your group.

So, you mean National Review. See, when you write that The New Republic, founded in 1914 by Herbert Croly and Walter Lippmann , I have to think that's what you mean. It makes me wonder how I can take anything else you write to mean what it actually says.

Buckley worked as an editor for The American Mercury in 1951 and 1952, but left after spotting anti-Semitic tendencies in the magazine. Imagine that, a racist leaving a magazine due to anti-Semitic tendencies.

Yes, Buckley did have some racist views on blacks in the south in his early years, yet Buckley changed his views and by the mid-1960s renounced racism. This change was caused in part because of his reaction to the tactics used by white supremacists against the civil rights movement, and in part because of the influence of friends like Garry Wills, who confronted Buckley on the morality of his politics. Buckley later said it was a mistake for National Review to have opposed the civil rights legislation of 1964"65. He later grew to admire Martin Luther King, Jr. and supported creation of a national holiday for him. What an asshole racist!

Yet, you still believe that the National Review was a racist magazine despite the fact that Buckley would not allow anti-Semitic people to work for it or contain any articles of that nature.

Spit out the kool-aid Cyc. It's poisoning you.

However, if you can provide quotes backing up your statement that "the New Republic was founded by a racist and made famous by advocating white superiority.", I would enjoy reading them.
rabel22

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:52 pm
The republican party is busy doing what its done for the last 27 years which is spewing out bs and lies in an attempt to brainwash people that are already brain dead and believe whatever the Limbaughs of the party say. the ones they want to influence are too intelligent to buy into the crap they spout.
0 Replies