Obsessive compulsive lawn mowing neighbor?

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 05:01 pm
@roger,
If he does, I know where I'd like to put that leaf blower!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:58 pm
Chimes... seriously, buy a ton of them and hang 'em in the trees. It'll drive him nuts.

Or you could buy a water fountain. The sooooothing water sounds should dampen the noise or at the very least calm your nerves. fingers crossed.
Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:39 pm
@Ceili,
We have a fountain and Mrs. Chumly loves it, but to me it sounds like a stuck toilet; artificial gurgling - it does not sound real to me.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:42 pm
@Chumly,
have you a chain saw...?

perhaps when he starts to mow, you could cut down a large tree to counter-annoy him.

be careful to note where your house and other crushable type objects are located prior to attempting to implement my plan...

(unless you live in the forest, this will only work for so long.)
Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:53 pm
@Rockhead,
I love my chainsaw and yep I (basically) do live in forest, but we're too far apart to have any of my trees land on anything consequential of his, and he cut all his down to make his goof-course.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 05:27 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
OTOH I have a plethora of gas-powered noise-making machines including three motorcycles, a gas powered weed wacker, a gas powered chain saw, a gas powered pressure washer, two gas powered generators, and a gas powered RC plane!

Well you have no room to talk then Chum. You must have annoyed the hell out of a lot of folks with that amount of elbow pollutant.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 05:31 pm
It's possible he is trying to annoy you in response to you annoying him. That he is ahead of your advisors on here.
Gala

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 11:02 am
@Chumly,
I took a pleasant early morning Sunday stroll only to have my reverie busted by a guy with his power mower mowing his tiny lawn. It must have been 8 am. I feel for you.

In the wealthy, super wealthy part of Washington, DC the rich folk use the hand mowers, because they can afford to be green.
Chumly

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:13 pm
@spendius,
You should know me better than to presume I would annoy anybody!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:15 pm
@Gala,
A strange upside-down world of misplaced ecological ideals!
Gala

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:30 pm
@Chumly,
It's the correct thing to do. The young and affluent tend to their lawn's with the hand mower.

Do they have noise ordinances where you are? You could look into what's on the books and see if you can get any leverage from there.
Chumly

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:41 pm
@Gala,
Well the word "correct" opens a can of worms (pun) because in most cases (as cultured grass is usually grown and maintained) it's not the "correct" plant for optimized ecological soundness.

I'll check out the noise bylaws but I'm reluctant to proceed in that vein, because if I complain about him he may find ammunition to do the same, and blood will spill (pun).
spendius

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:53 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
correct" plant for optimized ecological soundness

I don't think there are that many in our world looking for optimized ecological soundness Chum. Your own admitted gadgets bear witness to that.

Have you thought of moving? It does seem to be a pain in the neck.
Ceili

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 01:21 pm
Chumly, sadly the amount of noise a person can make during daylight hours is distressingly loud.
djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 01:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
really, i live in canada, lawn season is late march/early april through november
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 02:10 pm
@spendius,
Sadly you are right in that I'm as bad as the next (I like to imagine I'm not but actions speak louder than words). The best that I can say in my defense is that I don't have kids and buy my stuff in bulk.

However I might suggest that things would be a whole lot saner and safer if the total human population was much smaller, and thus not cycling between feast and famine.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 02:14 pm
@Ceili,
How true! It's all exacerbated by the fact that I'm adjunct to parkland and with hardly any neighbors; you can often hear the blood rushing in your ears, it's that quiet.

I had some friends stay over a few years ago and they complained they could not sleep because it was too quiet.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:01 am
Record the sound of him mowing - then replay loadly when you go out, or at night when you go out.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:19 am
Or you could write him a nice letter, this style:

Dear neighbor,

I hold in high esteem your constant efforts to keep your property, which aesthitics I fully appreciate, permanently trimmed.

Such beauty is an enchantment to the eyes of all neighborhood.

However, relating to some minimal attached disagreements, like ears disturbance while performing your daily tasks of creating beauty, I would like to bring to your knowledge, in a friendship spirit, that some towns have already regulations as follow:

In order to secure and promote the rights of the Town's citizens to privacy and freedom from nuisance, to enjoy reasonable repose and peace by prohibiting unnecessary, excessive and annoying noises, to minimize airborne dust and pollen which causes discomfort or annoyance to many reasonable persons of normal sensitivity, and to protect the health of some persons, it shall be unlawful for any person within the Town to use or operate any machine powered with a gasoline or diesel engine used to blow leaves, mow the lawn, clean sidewalks, driveways...

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:09 am
@Francis,
If I read this situation aright I do believe that if Chum wrote that he might become subjected to a quantum increase in noise levels and frequency of experience.

There are not many clues but what there are point to two implacable opponents at the skirmish stage.

Chum's attitudes will have been conveyed to his neighbour in body language.

Invite him down to the pub and try to get chummy enough with him to be able to tell him what a ******* awful nuisance he is without him becoming indignant. Friends can say things to each other.

0 Replies