lasuz

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 10:30 am
I am divorced woman (grown kids on own) in my own home. There is a man next door who is a handsome French guy with a girlfriend or wife and apparently a brand new baby. He is from a wealthy family and seems very entitled.

Anyway he has this way of talking very softly and criticizing without raising his voice.

The other day he parked his car 3/4 of the way blocking my driveway. He and several other people got out of his car and I rolled down my window and asked him to please move his car so I could park in my driveway. I asked him politely.

His resonse was I have a baby with me. He asked me if I could give him a minute and I said "Sure". ,no sarcasm-just sure. His response was "No wonder you are alone". I was flabbergasted. What did his parking his car blocking my driveway have to do with my being single and asked him that and said that was unnecessary none-the-less.

I am not unhappy single so that didn't bother me but his making a cruel comment did.

What do you think and how do you suggest I deal with him? Needless to say I keep my dealings with him at a minimum.

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 10:34 am
@lasuz,
He's an asshole.

We have problems with people who park in front of our driveway. We call the cops. A ticket or two and that **** stops happening.

This guy is already a jerk, so there's little reason to salvage a neighborly relationship with him.
lasuz

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 11:22 am
@jespah,
Thanks. I always wonder if there is something I can do differently but guess we just can't change others.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 05:58 am
@lasuz,
You can't do anything. Don't escalate thing though. A snide condescending neighbour isn't the worst thing that can happen. Some people can make their neighbours lives literally a living hell. I had some terrible neighbours once, violent, loud, aggressive, who were eventually evicted by the council. I'd willingly have traded them for a whole street of snooty Frenchmen.
Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 06:16 am
It sounds to me as though he has to belittle others in order to feel good about himself. Your best response would be to pity him, and then ignore him.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 06:42 am
@izzythepush,
Thing is, she's got a right to get out of her driveway.

If it does escalate and get nasty/violent/scary, then of course a trip to the police department to file a report is a good idea. And contact your homeowner's insurance company, too, while you're at it. They'll keep records and will investigate if there's a claim.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 06:49 am
@jespah,
Agreed, but letting the authorities deal with a nuisance is not the same as allowing yourself to get into a heated argument. And with people like that it's very easy.
jespah

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 07:08 am
@izzythepush,
I'm sure it is. We've had loud neighbors but they've been tenants - you just call the landlords and let them be the bad guys.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 08:48 am
@jespah,
I agree with jespah if he is going to be an a$$ about it - no reason to go out of your way and be kind - next time park blocking him on the street - go in your house and call the police to issue him a ticket.

I used to have a reserved spot in the condo where I lived. There was plenty of open spaces for others visiting or those that had more than one car. The condo policy was that if you did not have a gargage - some units had them some did not - then you had a reserved spot that was closet to your unit --- marked reserved so those visiting would know. Always had some idiot parking in our spot. I gave up and I would just park so that I blocked their car - I would leave a note on the car letting them know they were in my owned reserved spot and if they needed to leave, they could ring my door - I did point out the fact that spot is clearly marked reserved.

Same person never did it twice.
Glennn

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:00 am
@lasuz,
Quote:
What do you think and how do you suggest I deal with him? Needless to say I keep my dealings with him at a minimum.

Forget him. I have a theory as to what causes one to become like that. I’m pretty sure it’s the result of their mothers having rocked them forth and back instead of back and forth when they were babies. Can you imagine how that would screw a kid up? I mean, what kind of a mother would . . .

Anyway, in my search for an answer to the question of what kind of a mother would rock their kids forth and back, my research led me to information concerning the existence of two really rotten-to-the-core tribes that lived about three hundred years ago. One of those tribes was the Assholians, and they were best described as not caring much about others. The other tribe was the Jackassians. They were known for doing really stupid things. About a hundred years ago, the Assholians went to war with the Jackassians for absolutely no reason in particular, and they ended up killing each other off, except for two individuals. The two survivors of the war was a man from the Assholian tribe, and a woman from the Jackassian tribe.

My theory is that the Assholian man took up with the Jackassian woman, and they spawned what we now refer to as assholes and jackasses. After all, what else could come from such a coupling? In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the two had made matters even worse by rocking their babies forth and back, as that is something that both a jackass and an asshole would do.

I could be wrong about all that, but in the search for truth about what makes an asshole such an . . . asshole, we need to leave no stone unturned.
lasuz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 10:27 am
@Linkat,
Thank you! Good for you!
0 Replies

lasuz

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 10:28 am
@Glennn,
Love that theory! Thank you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2015 10:37 am
@lasuz,
2 separate things

the parking - document document document - call police if it continues to be a problem

his comment - I'd laugh and say something along the lines of being glad it worked

__

I do find it odd that you thought it was a cruel comment. He might have been trying to be rude, but it's not cruel unless it has the ability to hurt you.
0 Replies