The neighbors can see you shirtless inside your home

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 08:17 pm
When the folks moved in across the street, in the second week, I chanced to look across at the window, to see a man wearing jeans, but no shirt. It did not last but a few seconds. Being honest, I did not care to see him like that, despite the fact he was in his own home, minding his own business. And, I remind myself, you see much more of a person's body at the pool.

But, yesterday, I had to change out the kitchen faucet. It was hot and humid and I had a real struggle, getting the big plastic nuts off that hold the faucet against the sink. (I eventually took a hammer and chisel to it) So I took off my shirt. At one point, I was standing before the sink, lifting up the old and putting down the new.

I glanced through the window and observed an outraged old man standing at his fence and staring at my naked shoulders and chest. I went ahead and finished the job, without putting on a shirt or closing the window.

This morning, as I stood before the kitchen window, I wore a shirt, but it was unbuttoned. It's hot and humid, as I noted already. I saw the same man and his entire family stream out their door and crowd about to look at and discuss me. Well, I don't want to have a war with the neighbors, and if I can do anything to still his outrage, why not do it? Less than an hour later, I made a vented structure of treated wood and put it over the outside of my window. Now, I get the air and they don't see me.

There is nothing illegal in going shirtless in your own home, but, no need to antagonize needlessly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 5,990 • Replies: 81

Builder

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 10:54 pm
We're on a small acreage by a rather busy rural road. About four hundred metres separates the road, from where we abide. I think nothing of strolling to the clothes line naked in the mornings, to fetch socks and jocks after a shower.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 11:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
If it's hot and you are working on something, you have the right not to wear a shirt in your own home. Even if you walked around on your front porch, it wouldn't be any of your neighbors' business. I wouldn't bother building anything to shield his view from looking into your house, but it's up to you.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 11:51 pm
Do they belong to some strange sect? Are they time travellers from 1850? What indecency is there in a man's torso anyhow?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 11:56 pm
Yeah, well, I don't need to fight a war with these people. The really odd thing about it, I have been looking out that window with and without a shirt for 18 years.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 02:10 am
Are you sure the old guy was angry? And that the family gathered to stare disapprovingly? He might have noticed your strong physique, and the family might have been evaluating this and discussing asking you to come over and uproot an stubborn stump in their back yard, or something like that.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 02:45 am
Maybe some of the ladies could find other things for you to do around the house while you were there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 04:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Tell him to quit peeking in your windows.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 07:43 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Ed did say he had trouble getting his big nuts off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:09 am
Well, see, I'm from California, where a lot of us are relatively relaxed about this stuff..

but, back in Venice, we did put in levolor blinds (the ones the inquiring duck Foxy flew into, one sunny day). Got rid of those at one point and made some curtains that I set at 2/3s the height of the windows, to let some light in. Easy to have full view when we wanted it.

I don't get that family's behavior - are you sure they were antagonistic? maybe they were just curious about their new neighbors?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:19 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
back in Venice, we did put in levolor blinds

Sorry, but as you were in Venice, didn't you consider Venetian blinds?

They should be dirt cheap there.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 08:24 am
@izzythepush,
The levolors were less expensive... but you're right, both the name Venetian and those kind of then old fashioned blinds would have fit the old house better (circa 1906, old for California). We liked them when we bought then, gradually got sick of them.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:34 am
Edgar, I'm just wondering if this is happening with new neighbors, ones who recently moved in, what's next?

Not saying you should do/say anything about this, but watch to see if this is setting a precedent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:37 am
The man had to get around some of his stuff to get to that corner of his fence. He was standing as close to the fence as possible, staring at me through the window. The last time, I saw him come out his back door, looking at me through the window, followed by his wife, who looked like a true victim, followed by about a forty year old man, and they were gesturing toward me and jabbering their case at him. There is no doubt they did not want to see me in my kitchen window. (I had the shade up to let in some air, as the weather was hot and sultry.)
chai2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:48 am
@edgarblythe,
I wonder what would happen if you went over there with some sort of welcome basket.

Maybe then you could suss out what the issue is?
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Have you introduced yourself to them since they're new neighbors?
Actually, it should be them to go and introduce themselves - maybe that's what they were discussing. Wife wanted to come over and say hi and the husband said: "Can't you see the man is working!" and then they went on and on.....

Edgar, don't worry about what you wear in your own home! If they have to get to the last ditch of their property to peep into your kitchen window, then so be it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:55 am
@chai2,
I know that is a sensible approach, but now that the window is hidden, I plan to let it ride. I am deciding what to plant on my side of that fence, to hide us from view. They have half a million dollar homes and I have a beat up old mobile home. I think they would prefer a bit of segregation.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:58 am
@CalamityJane,
They have been living there two or three years or more. I had been cleaning away brush and poison ivy and I think that opened up the view to them. I may put up a tree. I had considered the type of cane that gets 20 feet tall, but it takes too long to become established.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:02 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh! So they've been there for a number of years and you don't talk to them?
They're your next door neighbors right?

Don't think for a minute, just because they live in a 1/2 million Dollar home that they need to be regarded more. If anything, let them put up a barrier
if they don't want to see you. Don't get intimidated by these morons!
chai2

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:07 am
Or (not that I'm really suggesting this, but maybe I am)

"Hi. Welcom to the neighborhood!. I couldn't help but notice your entire family staring into the windows of my home, from inside your home, as you've done this several times. Is there some issue I should be aware of? Or, I you noticing something on the outside of my house that's damaged or needs repair?"

I'm all for MYOB when it comes to neighbors, but at the same time it's good to be upfront.

The family next to me have a couple of well behaved kids. The mom though is just very superior in her thinking her way in all things is the best. Kind of like a Stepford Wife meets The Devil Wears Prada. We are polite and friendly in our greetings to each other, but we have nothing in common.

When I retired, my pattern became that I would stay up late, sleep in for a few hours, then later on take a nap. I suppose to the outside world (if they were looking) it seemed like I never left the house. One day she saw me and asked in a superior way "What do you DO all day?"

It's the closest I've ever come to be unfriendly with her. I made sure I was smiling when I replied "I was wondering the same about you."

The conversation went no further.
Maybe a big smile and a direct encounter might help?
0 Replies