You've got mail - and possibly an STD

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:00 am
I guess this is a sign of the times, but seems like an ill-conceived way of informing someone of a possible bad medical problem. I suppose it's better than doing nothing. How would you feel being told in this way?
----------------

You've got mail - and possibly an STD

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
at 16:05 on August 21, 2009, EDT.

RIO DE JANEIRO - You've got mail - and possibly an STD.

The Brazilian Health Ministry has created a Web site to let people inform partners they've got a sexually transmitted disease via an emailed virtual postcard.

The official in charge of the ministry's STD and AIDs programs notes that many people have a hard time telling partners they're infected.

Mariangela Simao said in a statement this week that the emails may help people "to tackle these diseases directly and with minimum exposure."

One of the cards shows a young man reclining in his underwear. It reads: "Hi! I don't know if this is the best way to tell you, but I've learned that I have an STD."

The card suggests the recipient see a doctor.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,252 • Replies: 13

Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:08 pm
@Reyn,
Could be awkward if the spouse shares the e-mail. Smile
jespah

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:37 pm
@Intrepid,
At least the people are told. Hey, it's something.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:05 pm
@jespah,
What an opportunity for a nasty practical joke.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:09 pm
@roger,
Since it is a government website, it is likely that they have to register etc. I wouldln't think that practical jokes would be the norm.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:33 pm
@Intrepid,
Register? How are you going to have them give a credit card?

You could claimed to be anyone say the wife/girlfriend of the person.

Seem a good site for hoaxes and of little benefit for that reason.
Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:25 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

At least the people are told. Hey, it's something.

I have to agree, but would concerned for possible abuse, as others have hinted at.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:27 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Register? How are you going to have them give a credit card?

You could claimed to be anyone say the wife/girlfriend of the person.

Seem a good site for hoaxes and of little benefit for that reason.

Good thinking, Einstein. They can claim to be the wife and prefer to send an e-mail rather than talk across the dinner table. No less than I would expect from you.

http://www.aids.gov.br/muitoprazer/index.php?qdiganao
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:43 pm
@Intrepid,
Sorry that my intellect is not up to your standard however the question remain how are you going to prove ID and keep hoaxes from being the main source of those emails.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 04:37 am
@BillRM,
The fact that people must setup an account and login should be some deterrent for what you suggest. I really doubt that people will create false accounts for this purpose. Why would they? You always seem to look for the worst in people.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:53 am
I can see people setting up phony accounts to play a nasty practical joke (or achieve retaliation or to punish somebody.) However I think the benefit might outweigh the risk unless it became really popular to abuse the system in that way.

ElStud and his cronies used to have fun sending mail to coworkers and colleagues with a return address on the envelope reading something like Trixies Massage Parlor or Wild Willard's Naughty Toy Shop. Of course they were pretty selective as to who they would play a joke like that on and were pretty sure the recipients (and their secretaries) would think it was funny. And if additional avenues were available to play that kind of joke. . . .

Still as Jes said, however somebody finds out they are at risk, its sure better than them not knowing.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:36 pm
I went to the site, all it is doing is providing images that you can save and send through your own email address. Basically it is just providing email form letters for people who might have a hard time writing the email themselves.

It is probably inspiring some pranks and above the images it says that the site seeks to alert society to an important issue, and asked not to indiscriminately send the images to others but there's not much to be abused here and not much of a news story either (the article is pretty misleading). A government employee has merely made 3 STD awareness graphics available online. The whole site doesn't look to get much traffic and that subsection of the site will probably get none within a few weeks when the novelty of the idea and news coverage dies down but the media coverage is what makes the idea worthwhile. A couple hours of a graphic designers work got some free publicity.
BillRM

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The lesson here seem to be that news stories can not be taken at face value without checking them out.

That is bad very bad as who have the time to check every damn news story out?

In any case good going Robert in checking this one out for the rest of us.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 05:44 am
@BillRM,
Some would just rather run on speculation. Did you check the link I posted? Smile
0 Replies