Muslim girl suspended for head scarf

ebrown p

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:23 am
P.S. Signing the Declaration of Independence itself was an example of Americans breaking the law.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:37 am
There are some laws I don't have a problem with making exceptions to, where conscience isn't involved. As the first example that comes to me head (I'm sure there are better ones)... I jaywalk all the time, even though that's illegal here. There are circumstances where I don't have a problem with breaking this law (eg. when I'm not putting anyone at risk). Still, I personally don't think this law should be amended; rather, I believe people should have the common sense to see when exceptions are OK.
Good luck with trying to get me to see this as comparable to robbery & murder.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:49 am
au, Hanging them on the lamp post would be much cheaper than executing them in prison. I think I heard a number like $1,000,000 for each execution. I'll even supply the rope. Cumbersome and slow is right! Over 50 percent of the cases handled in court should be decided by arbitration.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:08 pm
Ebrown_p
Quote:
Breaking laws for reasons of conscience is quite a bit difference that robbing and murdering.

Obviously, however, one mans breaking of the law for reasons of conscience may be quite different from anothers. The man who shot the DR. who perfumed abortions, shot him for his reasons of conscience. Does that excuse it?
Without laws we have anarchy. People must work within the law to make change take place. They cannot, nor should they be allowed to obey laws selectively.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:13 pm
I'm sure the reasoning the Dr killer used in his own mind was that he was stopping the killing of innocent babies who could not defend for themselves. He killed one to save many. "Reasons of conscience" is a mixed bag.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:33 pm
Au,

I am not arguing that there is not a certain amount of danger in my assertion that people should put their individual consciences above the law of society.

I am only pointing out that the world would be a worse place if no one was willing to break laws based on conscience. We would still be under the British throne for one thing.

You cannot deny the importance of Civil Disobedience in our history. I won't deny that liberty comes with danger.

My conscience conflicts with the conscience of others on numerous occasions. At times I accept the will of the mainstream for the common good. At other times, when it is important I feel it is my duty will resist with all my might. It depends on the principles involved.

As the Bard said...

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man. "
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:38 pm
Brown
I understand your conflict and point. However, I also understand it's dangers not the least being paying a heavy fine and possibly facing jail time.
0 Replies