Muslim girl suspended for head scarf

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:22 pm
Back to agreeing with Craven.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:36 pm
Dr. Kurtz would have better said, "Attack the headscarf or the hijab and you are attacking the core of the Middle Eastern social system because the majority of the Middle East is Muslim and the headscarf is considered a required part of Islam by a huge number of Muslims." Attacking the hijab would be the equivalent of attacking a Christian's right to wear a cross, or a Jew's right to wear a yarmulke…
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:37 pm
I support the school.
Exceptions for the girl will snowball into exceptions for others...

One rule fits all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:44 pm
Here's a link on California laws by the ACLU.
http://www.aclunc.org/students/guide/pledge.html
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:46 pm
I wonder how bad the gang situation there is. I knew some schools where I grew up where if you wore a head scarf of any sort to school, it was going to be horribly misconstrued by someone depending on what color it was. Religion is one thing, but if there was an actual danger associated with wearing such a thing, I could understand that the school would rather be responsible for removing a traditional religious garment than for having her hurt or killed because they let her wear it. These things aren't always caused by bureaucracy. Of course, we don't the specifics, and that would make all the difference.

What I am confused on, mostly, is, if she knew the rules before, and if she did, why she did address the issue with the school earlier. Also, if it took them 2 weeks to see that she was wearing it, especially since supposedly no one else was, it must be a pretty poorly-run school. It seems like they need a lot more than dress codes there.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:56 pm
Bill of rights
1st amendment

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Deny the right to practice a religion and you deny yourself that same right.
The teacher missed the mark by not taking the opportunity to introduce the rest of the class to a small part of the world they soon shall venture into .....
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:00 pm
Gel-
You seem to want to establish one religion over another. Yarmulkes aren't allowed, hats with Jesus fish aren't allowed... why should this girl/this religion be above the rules?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:17 pm
So - if it is only the gang thing - since when did a headscarf worn by a Muslim woman look like a gang one? Yarmulkes look like gang things? I covered the dangerous or illegal stuff.

If it is religious - You gonna make Plymouth sistren cut their hair? Their long hair is a religious badge - as are their nerdy dresses - you gonna make them wear cool clothes? And make-up?

What about Sikhs? They gonna have to cut THEIR hair? Ditto - it is a hairy fish hat.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:18 pm
You could hide knives in that hair, too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:26 pm
Muslim scarf, 1, 2, 3, 4.....yarmulkes, 1, 2, 3, 4......Sikh's headdress, 1, 2, 3, 4...... Where's the interruption in the education? Where's the violence? Where's the danger of gangs? Teacher: Muslim women wear scarves because.....Jews wear yarmulkes because......Sikh's wear a headdress because....... Learning about different religions. Is that a bad thing? How about the study of the Middle East, Israel, and India? Just leave out those things that conflict with the school's dress code? Are the students allowed to see pictures of those countries?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
It is the slippery slope. Is the headscarf REQUIRED by her religious practice or is it recommended? I enjoyed reading the explanation of the differences in headwear (above) and read that the writer, though a devout Muslim, does not cover her head. The covering of the head for women is optional, so too is it with the girl from Oklahoma. She can continue practicing her religion just not all the optional practices. If she has a brother is the school required to allow him to stop and pray five times a day whilst facing Mecca? No, he's not required to do so and neither can the school be impelled to allow it.

Arrow :wink: I do think all Christians should be required to wear hats with fish on them, then when they act in an unChristlike manner everyone can yell "hypocrite" at them.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:30 pm
For those who are blissfully ignorant of stupid zero-tolerance American public school rules--

The Important Well Thought Out Anti-Drug Rule:
No drugs allowed on school campus.
An asthmatic girl has a breathing crisis, and her inhaler malfunctions!
Her boyfriend has the same asthma problem, and the same inhaler.
He saves her life, by sharing his inhaler!
He is expelled, and the school may press charges.
He broke the rule.

The Important Well Thought Out Anti-Weapons Rule:
No weapons are allowed on campus.
A kid's mother packs him a lunch of Cubed Steak.
She places a knife in his lunch box.
A piece of **** kid spies said knife, as it is used to cut Cubed Steak at lunch.
Kid is expelled, and faced charges.
He broke the rule.

With obscene crap like this going on at school, I am completely unconcerned about some kid wanting to wear a scarf to school.

Either trash the dress code, take off the damn scarf, or go to a school that doesn't have a rule about scarves. Meanwhile, apply some sense to these stupid rules.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:30 pm
Sofia wrote:
Gel-
You seem to want to establish one religion over another. Yarmulkes aren't allowed, hats with Jesus fish aren't allowed... why should this girl/this religion be above the rules?

Busted Sad ... I feel that everyone should worship the 'cosmic muffin'' Very Happy

What if two things
#1 .. The teacher created the disturbance by calling attention to the scarf? Did the teachr explain to the class just why the scarf was objectionable, or did the teacher leave the 11 yo minds to imagine?

#2 ... There are laws and there are just laws.

I go back to the days of the mini skirt ..... talk about distraction .... no one got suspended.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:39 pm
Dress code when I was in high school--
Boys could not wear sandals.
Boys had to have their shirts tucked in.
Bras couldn't show.

They have just instituted a heinous dress code at my daughter's school. All tops and pants must be solid colors, but not the same color Shocked
All shirts must be tucked in. (Poor fat people!)
No body jewelry except earrings.
(Daughter has to take her nose ring out for bitchy fifth period teacher.)
Belts can't have studs.
No 'unnatural' hair colors!!! (What about the blue-haired librarian!!!?)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:41 pm
This isn't congress, this is school. The school can make any rules it wants to about the way its students dress and act. You have no rights in school. That's about it.

Depending on where you live, just about anything can make you a target for someone. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it works. The school doesn't want to be responsible for bad things happening, and they consider gang fights to be worse than having to remove an article of religious clothing for 6 hours a day.

Edit: for the record, I think dress codes are stupid 90% of the time, but there may be valid reasons for having them every once in a while.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:43 pm
You should see some of the get-ups at my uni.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:44 pm
Usually the worst dressed are the academics. By biology professor last year didn't have slightest idea of dress sense.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
So - if it is only the gang thing - since when did a headscarf worn by a Muslim woman look like a gang one? Yarmulkes look like gang things? I covered the dangerous or illegal stuff.

If it is religious - You gonna make Plymouth sistren cut their hair? Their long hair is a religious badge - as are their nerdy dresses - you gonna make them wear cool clothes? And make-up?

What about Sikhs? They gonna have to cut THEIR hair? Ditto - it is a hairy fish hat.

It's not only a gang thing. Dress codes exist for many reasons. I referenced the gang dress as only one facet of why one particular rule (no sports team logos) exist. It has nothing to do with the no headwear rule.

The no headwear rule is IMO a less important one. It's like the no gum rule.

I think what a lot of adults here forget is how many rules there are in school.

There are rules against having anything of value.

There are rules against having anything for communication (cell phones and beepers).

There are rules against having video games and music players.

There are rules against going to the bathroom without permission.

There are rules requiring students to wear an ID pinned on their shirt.

Etc etc.

One of the main goals of the dress code is conformity. Americans don't like that word but american schools try to make kids conform for a reason. The study MUCH better and behave MUCH better with methods such as a dress code or uniforms. Attitude, individuality and expression in America are at a worldwide high. IMO the anti-conform people don't realize how individualistic American culture hurts us.

American schools seem downright oppressive and oddly enough are not nearly as well behaved as schools in natiosn with less repressive rules.

IMO the schools should be much smaller, spend less money of frivolous stuff like cheerleading and stadiums for sport and then they can relax some of the rules as they would have a smaller group with less complexity and impersonal dealings as they would be able to hire more teachers per student.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:52 pm
My school had a much simpler code

Poodle skirts and angora sweaters for the girls

bibs and whatever for the guys;)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:54 pm
Bookbags must be plastic or mesh. Better to see your uzi, my dear.
0 Replies