can "spend" be a noun?

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:16 am
I looked up "spend" in Google Dictionary and found out it can be a noun--the amount of money spent for a particular purpose or over a particular length of time , but I can't find "spend" as a noun in other dictionaries. Do you often use it as a noun?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,859 • Replies: 12

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:23 am
@jinmin1988,
jinmin1988 wrote:

I looked up "spend" in Google Dictionary and found out it can be a noun--the amount of money spent for a particular purpose or over a particular length of time , but I can't find "spend" as a noun in other dictionaries. Do you often use it as a noun?

Thanks

I have never heard it used as such...though there is a colloquialism, at least here in Australia, of a "spend up".......which means that one has gone out and spent a lot of money.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:50 am
@jinmin1988,
spend is a bit of a noun and quite abjective
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:55 am
@jinmin1988,
I have never used "spend" as a noun.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:57 am
@jinmin1988,
I've heard it used as a noun - same with the word 'shop' - in slang:

Example - 'I did a big shop yesterday' - (I bought a lot of stuff)
'I did a big spend yesterday' - (I spent a lot of money)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:37 am
I've seen "spend" used as a noun in marketing and sales jargon.

The spend on the new product was more than was budgeted.

0 Replies

HaylezD2

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:06 am
@dlowan,
I see spend more of a Verb than a noun
because noun's are more names of something
Smile
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:24 am
In British English, especially in commercial usage, 'spend' is very often used as a noun, meaning 'sum of money spent (or to be spent)', for example, a shop may have a sign next to the till saying "£10 minimum spend for credit card transactions".

It is a modern thing and I personally don't like it, but that does not make it wrong.

Here is a blog entry about a pub's party facilities:

Quote:
The Bear can accommodate 200-250 people. There is no hire fee required " simply a minimum spend: Mondays to Thursdays £2,000; Saturday £2,500. Parties can bring their own DJ. The Bear can supply equipment. The Bear is licensed until 12pm but it is possible to apply for an extension until 2am at a cost of £50

Remarks on Bookseller.com about Amazon's delivery fees:

Quote:
Amazon.co.uk is planning to reduce the minimum spend required for orders to qualify for free shipping from £15 to £5.

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:15 am
@contrex,
Quote:
It is a modern thing and I personally don't like it, but that does not make it wrong.

It's only when you read other prescriptivists in a lather over nothing that you feel confident in declaring something "wrong", Contrex.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:36 am
If you ever, if you ever use spend as a noun, the language police will come to your house and kill your dog and your cat.
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:53 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
If you ever, if you ever use spend as a noun, the language police will come to your house and kill your dog and your cat.

Whatever it is that causes OmSig to mindlessly repeat nonsensical things about language has now spread to Setanta.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:11 pm

In Britain, it is common the refer to children's "spends" or pocket money.

It's a bit slangy, though.

But I would not be surprised to hear "spend" or a phrase like "total spend" used (as a noun) in a news item, for example.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 05:30 pm
Retailers are hoping for a big spend from consumers in the run up to Christmas I have been told.
0 Replies