Which make better indoor pets: dogs or cats?

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:20 pm
My Co-op has a policy 'only one four legged pet per household', I'm looking for a site or someone who can help me make a argument as to what makes a better indoor house pet, cat or dog.

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:25 pm
@JeannieDW,
My wife and I have always been cat people, but have never had a dog. So, if this has a bit of bias, pardon.

Cats are very easy to box train, and if you don't mind cleaning them out, that part of pet ownership is a lot easier. I wouldn't fancy taking a dog out in the winter time to do the toileting bit.

Overall, cats are a lot quieter than a dog, and can stand being alone for most of the day.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:20 pm
@JeannieDW,
I have both a cat and a dog as indoor (in an apartment) pets. My dog doesn't shed, but my cat does. That's one point for my dog but that obviously depends on the breeds (and some breeds really aren't indoor breeds). My cat vomits more often than my dog, that's another point for the dog. But my cat has never pissed or pooped outside her litter box, and potty training her was a matter of showing her where it was. That's a couple of points for the cat right there. The cat also doesn't need walks, but depending on whether you want to walk a dog that can go either way.

I'd say that in general, a cat is a better indoor pet. But there are also good indoor dog breeds (like my Maltese) if you can put up with more work and responsibility.

One big issue I forgot was travel. My cat is fine, my dog really suffers when we travel. If we leave him home with friends checking on him he acts up (poops all over etc) so he must be stressed. When we check him into a pet hotel he seems thrilled to leave it when we pick him up.

It's gotten to the point that I really don't want to leave him anywhere, while the cat is mainly fine. She misses us when we leave (she's extra verbal when we get back) but doesn't seem to suffer like the dog does if we aren't around to give her attention.
Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yup, so there you go. As Robert indicates, some pluses and minuses either way.

I really think it very much matters as to the type/temperment of the dog or cat. My daughter has an adopted cat that suffers from abandonment anxiety. So, when she goes to work, he cries for a bit.

I think it depends, too, if you wanted a dog, if you decided on a puppy or an adult dog.
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:45 pm
@JeannieDW,
four legs, get two monkeys
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:35 am
I like cats. They are intelligent, enigmatic and loving.

My present master, Claws E. Moto is the joy of my life and he has my number.

He is quite remarkable. We had been trying to discourage a hen turkey from taking over our bird feeder and running the little birds off. Claws E. is quite aware of the fact that we don't want the turkey around, thusly one day I was sitting reading a book out on the porch and I hear the most god awful squaking and I looked up to see Claws E. on the back of the turkey like a cowboy on a horse. The turkey ran about ten yards with the cat on his back, then flapped his wings and flew into a tree dumping Claws E.

The turkey has returned a few times, the cat goes running after the turkey and turkey disappears.

As far as dogs, I've had a few, they are too much work and too dependent.
dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:00 am
@JeannieDW,
JeannieDW wrote:

My Co-op has a policy 'only one four legged pet per household', I'm looking for a site or someone who can help me make a argument as to what makes a better indoor house pet, cat or dog.

a. Smell.

Most dogs stink (you likely won't smell it) unless you wash them often, and especially as they get older. I have friends I find quite hard to visit now because of the dog stench.

Cats' litter boxes stink unless you clean them often. (I make friends without cats check my place to make sure I haven't habituated.) I use covered trays with carbon filters, and have two, so one is airing, while the other is in use.

b. Exercise for YOU and the animal.

Dogs have to have it. They go crazy without it, unless old. Some cats enjoy walking on leashes, but you look like a dork, and they only move fast enough to get you breathing hard on the way home (mine used to scamper home, on the way out, it was all sniffage and exploration.)

Young cats, and some breeds all their lives, need lots of play to keep them happy and non-destructive. This means lots of attention, at least initially, and toys (which make your house look like crap, if you mind such things.)

c. Shedding.....most dogs and cats shed until it drives you crazy.....both cats and dogs have a few breeds which don't, as Robert mentioned....(I am off to a Devon Rex show on Sunday to try to see if I am allergic to them, as, if I am not, their non-shedding, along with their intelligence and playfulness through life etc is going to swing me their way when my current Siamese dies.)

Generally, to keep on top of it, you just have to brush the damned animal, vacuum, and generally be obsessive.

I THINK most non-shedding dogs grow into shapeless mops of hair unless you keep trimming them, though. Doubtless, if I am wrong, someone will say so.

c. Noise and destructiveness.

Some dogs bark or yelp miserably all day if left alone. You will know about this quickly, as your neighbours will kill you. You will also know because there will be mass chewage and detruction of your property.

Cats are generally quieter (when my apartment block had its first general meeting, nine months after I moved in with two cats, the people who wanted to ban all animals were silenced when told they had been living with two cats for nine months, and had never had the faintest idea) but some are yowlers.

Most cats, once past kittenhood, will sleep until you get home, especially if you have sunny spots for them, or places they feel really secure and happy.

Puppies, especially of intelligent breeds, are murder until about two years of age.

There are dog-walkers who will walk your dog (for money of course) if you are away all day.

Cats tend to be fine indoors, but kittens can leave a trail ofdestruction initially. I still think with sadness of my lovely teapot collection, and my glorious blue glass bowl.

I have never had a major problem with furniture scratching (but I have had Siamese for decades, and, since they don't leave their mummies until 3 - 4 months of age, they have already been firmly cuffed if they don't use their scratching post and learn to use the litter tray.......Siamese mothers are TOUGH.

d. Coping With Indoor Life

I think it' a breed and individual personality thing.

Dogs in New York City seem happy and well adjusted. Try and keep the average Australian dog inside......and it's hell.

I have had cats who think indoors ......as long as there are great views, lots of sun, and a lot of interaction......is the only way to go. I have had a cat (whom I never intended to move to an apartment, because I knew he'd be miserable, but my arrangements for him fell through) who was sad and always felt deprived. Me? I felt like an absolute ****.

Check your breeds and consider the individual animal, is all I can say.

e. Fun.

I love dogs and cats. I simply do not have time and energy for a dog.

I pick highly intelligent and highly interactive breeds of cat. A bunch of cats with no breeding would also meet these standards for a cat, but they make me allergic.

While some breeds of cat and dog are consistently of a particular personality, each cat and dog is an individual and a lot of the pickingi s about THIS cat, ot THIS dog.

There are upsides and to dogs and cats.......but, unless you want a lot of exercise yourself, I think the average cat copes better with indoor life than the average dog.

But, average being what it is, I am gonna be wrong a lot.

What are YOU looking for in a furry friend?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:49 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

What are YOU looking for in a furry friend?

^^^ one of two keys.

What do you want from a pet, and what are you willing to put into being a pet owner?
0 Replies

C99

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:26 am
@Reyn,
Quote:
Yup, so there you go. As Robert indicates, some pluses and minuses either way.

yep i agree to
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:58 am
Depends on the dog or cat itself and it depends on your own personality and needs. I have both.

In general cats are easier indoor pets especially if you are not around a lot. You get a cat, he uses a litter box and if you have him as a kitten, they adjust and love being just indoors. The pros " easy to care for, can be left alone for long periods of time. The cons " some are more aloof than others " in other words if you want a very affection cat, some cats are not, some are very people like. Also, the claws " they can destroy furniture and other things.

Dogs you can get a smaller dog. Pros " very affection; more loving. Cons " you will need to walk him regularly; potential barking bothering neighbors; need to be home more as they need much more regular attention and walks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 10:17 am
I've found that curly-haired breeds of both dogs and cats still shed, but the hair doesn't float around in the air. The curly hair clumps.

We had LaPerm cats for many years, until allergy & asthma combined to make it unworkable anymore.

LaPerms are very affectionate, and crave attention the way many other breeds do not. They happily sit on your lap and purr for hours. (They've been called cat-dogs.)

Cat allergies can be dreadful, though, so you should check every member of your family before committing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 11:14 am
I prefer dogs to cats, and in any event, cannot long be around cats because of an allergy. This is odd, too, because i was around cats for most of my life before it showed up. Some friends of mine had a cat which i had known since he was a kitten, and my friend found him on the street and brought him home. When i visited them, he would curl up on top of me as i slept. Perhaps i got "sensitized," but eventually i reached a point at which i couldn't be around cats at all for more than a few hours. I don't much care for the behavior of cats, either.

Dogs make wonderful pets, but if you're going to do it right, they are "high maintenance." They are very gregarious, and consider themselves to be members in good standing of the family/pack. So you need to be willing to show them some consideration, and to give them some attention all the time. To be happy and healthy, too, they need to be walked every day--absolutely every day. Only on the very worst days of winter have i missed walking the dogs, and on those occasions, i still tried to take them out, until forced to turn back by the weather. They're worth the effort, though, because of their loyalty and affection.
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 11:16 am
Oops . . . i forgot to add, if the criterion is an indoor pet, a cat would probably be a better choice--despite the fact that cats is the spawn of Satan.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 01:33 pm
@Setanta,
Allergies can be amazing things. Some things, you can become immune to. Other times, you develope a sensitivity. I now have a reaction to amoxicillin, which was acquired.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 02:34 pm
@Sglass,
oh, for a video...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 02:57 pm
@ossobuco,
This has been a useful thread, one I want to remember.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:35 pm
@roger,
I sometimes think that if Bob Evans (the cat) had not habitually slept atop me every time i stayed overnight at my friend's house (about twice a month), i would not have developed the allergy. I was otherwise never very much exposed to cats.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:39 pm
@Setanta,
I can pinpoint my sensitization to working with guinea pigs. Never was allergic as a kid. (Oh, where's the box of tissues..)
0 Replies

allvetmed

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 01:19 am
@JeannieDW,
I have two dogs who looks so cute and healthy. I never had a cat because cats are distrubed me any times. So dog is good.
0 Replies

marshallspetzone

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 11:16 pm
@JeannieDW,
Dogs. I like to be worshiped.

Now for the serious explanation. I prefer dogs because I think we can make a deeper connection with them. Dogs are social animals much in the same way we are social animals, so they offer more companionship. I personally think it's more fun to play with a dog. One can go running or bike riding, even swimming, with dogs.
0 Replies