DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:03 pm
@CoastalRat,
That first one looks Photoshopped.
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:09 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
Why any parent would make a sign such as this and give to their kids to publicly display is beyond me.

Maybe it was intended as irony. Perhaps the reverse said something like, "Instead of a hundred thousand innocents". Or maybe it was just left unsaid, you know so thinking folk could figure it out.

Quote:
But it just shows that people of all political persuasions can be idiotic.

So true dat, CoastalRat.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:13 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

That first one looks Photoshopped.

Echo that -- it's obviously photoshopped. They couldn't get the letters to bend around the fold in the poster. Those letters -- notice how the two l's are exactly the same size and how evenly spaced and level everything is.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:13 pm
@DrewDad,
Anything's possible I guess. It is just one pic I quickly found. Wanna bet I could find others?

But even if it were photoshopped, the point is made that the sentiment of urging that Bush be killed was alive and well. So trying to point at idiots who talk about wishing Obama dead and stating that he does not remember anything like that against Bush is a bit disingenuous.

Of course, I just got a paranoid feeling. I googled "kill Bush" to find those photos. Hope I don't have the feds tracking me down now. Oh wait, I googled "kill Bush", not "kill Obama." I'm sure I'll be ok. lol

(That last part is said in jest of course. I'm sure those who suggesting Bush should be killed were investigated fully. Right?)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:14 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
(That last part is said in jest of course. I'm sure those who suggesting Bush should be killed were investigated fully. Right?)

The Secret Service takes a notoriously dim view of these things, no matter what the politics of the day are. My guess is that more than a few people who suggested such things were investigated.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:16 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
is a bit disingenuous.

And you're not?
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm sure they were Cy. As well they should have been. And, in the interest of honesty, now that I've looked at the kid photo, I must agree it does look photoshopped. I didn't look closely enough at it when I first saw it before posting.

And Cy, hope you had a good time in Hawaii.
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:19 pm
@JTT,
Never once in my life. I think I stated clearly that my comments at the end were in jest. I have no doubt that those openly expressing a desire that Bush be killed were investigated. Just as this guy will be investigated.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:21 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I'm sure they were Cy. As well they should have been. And, in the interest of honesty, now that I've looked at the kid photo, I must agree it does look photoshopped. I didn't look closely enough at it when I first saw it before posting.

And Cy, hope you had a good time in Hawaii.

We did, thanks.

I think the vast majority of the 'death threats' that presidents receive are bunk, but they can spiral out of control if not addressed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:25 pm
@CoastalRat,
Sure you can find examples of both liberal and conservative wackos. Sure, we all agree that wackos of each stripe should be treated the same (I actually am urgent to shut up the liberal wackos, where the conservative wackos are someone else's problem).

But to suggest an equivalence here is ridiculous.

You have tea bag protests, conspiracy theories, racial taunts, people suggesting violence against the government -- and these are not from the fringe-- these are from prominent TV personalities and even Senators.

Sure if you look into the wild fringes of the left, you will find similar behavior if you look really hard.

There is no comparison.
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:49 pm
Quote:
The Obama Plotters: The Republican Double Standard In Law Enforcement Made Manifest

By: David Neiwert Thursday August 28, 2008 9:01 am

It seems there may be a reason federal law-enforcement officials are not interested in pursuing serious charges against the white-supremacist tweakers who were caught this week in Denver: The man making the decision is a Republican operative. And when it came to a threat against John McCain by a black man, he had a completely different approach.

The AP story describing the official pooh-poohing of the threat gives us a clue:

"We're absolutely confident there is no credible threat to the candidate, the Democratic National Convention, or the people of Colorado," U.S. Attorney Troy Eid said in a statement.

http://firedoglake.com/2008/08/28/the-obama-plotters-the-republican-double-standard-in-law-enforcement-made-manifest/

Read on for Troy Eid's definition of 'credible'. Guess Troy's political bent.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:33 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
I actually am urgent to shut up the liberal wackos, where the conservative wackos are someone else's problem

I feel the same way, the liberal wackos do more harm to the political positions I prefer than the conservative ones.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep Robert. In truth, I love the conservative wackos. (But let's keep that between us.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:45 pm
@revel,
revel wrote:

Quote:
Debate over health care is becoming racist? I guess I'm falling behind times.

I am not aware I made a statement of the debate of health care becoming racist or even an implied statement to the effect of the same.

This is what I was responding to.

quote="revel"]
One of the differences in pictures of Bush with Hitler like images and the report about the congressman's office being vandalized is just that, the last I heard vandalism on public property is a crime which is why the FBI is investigating the incident.
Quote:
WASHINGTON " The FBI and police were investigating after a swastika was painted outside Rep. David Scott’s district office in Georgia, an act the suburban Atlanta Democrat said reflects an increasingly hateful and racist debate over health care and should remind people to tone down their rhetoric.
Scott’s staff arrived at his Smyrna, Ga., office Tuesday morning to find the Nazi graffiti emblazoned on a sign bearing the lawmaker’s name. The vandalism occurred roughly a week after Scott was involved in a confrontational argument over health care at a community meeting.

Scott said his office immediately notified authorities, including the U.S. Capitol Police, who have warned lawmakers about potential threats stemming from the increasingly emotional debate over health care reform. An FBI spokesman said the bureau is investigating along with Capitol Police and the Smyrna Police Department.

The congressman’s office is located in a bank building and Scott said he was optimistic that surveillance cameras captured the vandalism.

source

Since his office apparently located in a bank building it might even be federal?

[/quote]

It was in material you quoted, which is why I referenced your post. I was not putting words in your mouth. This was something I hadn't heard before, and still find it hard to believe.
revel

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:57 am
@roger,
I am not prepared to say whether there is racial overtones in some of the terms and images used by protesters of the health reform debate as I am not sure yet. There have been edifies, signs with Obama having a half black and half white face and signs with him as the joker. But then I looked up online and there was a poster of Bush as the joker on vanity fair back in 2008.

However, some shock jocks such as Limbaugh and Glen Beck have gone as close as they can while still leaving wiggle room to deny to being racist and they influence a lot of these protesters.

But by and large this health care reform really has nothing to do with racism in my opinion but more of a age old conservative/liberal approach to governing. Perhaps some conservative are trying to appeal to the racist out there by using subtle racial terms and images to try and fight the health reform debate from taking place.
roger

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 11:43 am
@revel,
I didn't believe it either, which is why I asked. Some people can drag race into anything, usually leaving me to wonder about the motives.
0 Replies