@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
2) "DISSENT IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF PATRIOTISM!"

Only during Democratic administrations.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 11:45 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
George H.W. Bush... check (sorry about the size)

You can use size attributes on the opening image tag to prevent that kind of thing.

E.g.

Code:[img width=500 height=400]

Of course, it's about as easy and much better to do a URL upload on imageshack and ask it to resize the image itself.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
2) "DISSENT IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF PATRIOTISM!"

Only during Democratic administrations.

But wait...

The problem here isn't that people are dissenting, it's that they are using mob tactics to shout others down so that a public dialog cannot take place.

Besides, couldn't it be said that those for HC reform are the dissenters? They are the ones up against the old establishment. They're taking the talk to those who don't understand or may have negative ideas against HC reform.

In the end, I've got no problem with these mobs. Let them say whatever they want, in fact let them say whatever comes to their mind. I could never hope to illustrate the vacancy of their points, better than they can do for themselves.

T
K
O
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:11 am
@McGentrix,
One of the differences in pictures of Bush with Hitler like images and the report about the congressman's office being vandalized is just that, the last I heard vandalism on public property is a crime which is why the FBI is investigating the incident.
Quote:
WASHINGTON " The FBI and police were investigating after a swastika was painted outside Rep. David Scott’s district office in Georgia, an act the suburban Atlanta Democrat said reflects an increasingly hateful and racist debate over health care and should remind people to tone down their rhetoric.

Scott’s staff arrived at his Smyrna, Ga., office Tuesday morning to find the Nazi graffiti emblazoned on a sign bearing the lawmaker’s name. The vandalism occurred roughly a week after Scott was involved in a confrontational argument over health care at a community meeting.

Scott said his office immediately notified authorities, including the U.S. Capitol Police, who have warned lawmakers about potential threats stemming from the increasingly emotional debate over health care reform. An FBI spokesman said the bureau is investigating along with Capitol Police and the Smyrna Police Department.

The congressman’s office is located in a bank building and Scott said he was optimistic that surveillance cameras captured the vandalism.

source

Since his office apparently located in a bank building it might even be federal?

Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I mean, old, white folks screaming at you during town hall meetings, angry with fears that have been stoked by the Republican party? It does sound rather according to the script.

Cycloptichorn

Being too young to remember the anti-war Vietnam rallies you may not commiserate with the reality that anyone that feels his/her life may be in jeopardy can get emotional. You are quite fortunate to not have lived in the Sixties when any male had to address the draft, whether one was in college or not. You might just be viewing current events without the benefit of having lived during another historical time that has parallels (young anti-war protesters during the draft days can have a parallel to "old" protesters of a health care bill that, like the Vietnam War, may not put the greatest value on individual life).
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:48 am
It seems to me that a national health care program has the potential to be absolutely wonderful, so that every single American has access to free, high quality health care from life until death, or absolutely horrific, so that you only have access to a long waiting list, and older people have a hard time getting anything except basic core treatment and palliatives.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:54 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

It seems to me that a national health care program has the potential to be absolutely wonderful, so that every single American has access to free, high quality health care from life until death, or absolutely horrific, so that you only have access to a long waiting list, and older people have a hard time getting anything except basic core treatment and palliatives.

Long waiting lists may really come - you have less doctors per inhabitants than other countries.

The "core basic treatment" isn't something what you find in existing mandatory health insurance systems. (Our local hospitals have geriatric wards for age related illnesses - with a waiting list of up to one week.)

Palliative medicine, on the other hand, is a quite expensive kind of care.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:35 am
@Foofie,
Violence or threats or vandalism is never excused for any reason. I was born in 1965, so I am not really familiar with the Vietnam era protest, from what I understand the protesters went way too far and so lost any moral high ground if they participated in any forms of violence or threats or vandalism.

However, those protesting in the Vietnam era were protesting something already going on, namely the senseless deaths on all sides of the unjustified war. If the protested in a civilized manner they were perfectly right to do so.

The threats and vandalism going on now is to disrupt even the debate/ discussion of having a health care reform bill so that people can not make an informed decision in those town hall meetings as to whether they would support it or not. If people have objections or other sides, of course their side should be heard, but that is the whole point, with all this mayhem, no information is getting out to be able to make an informed decision.
rabel22

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 09:45 am
@revel,
I remember the viet protests. Most were peacefull but some were not. the autorities caused some of the violence by thier actions. What I hated most about the protesters was the fact that they targeted viet solders. As in the Bush time they went to vietnaum or were prosecuted by the authorities. Which is why so many went to canada.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:35 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
but our heterogenous society is older than any of Europe's heterogeous societies, and the U.S. heterogenous society has a different history.

So the "melting pot" piece of bullshit didn't take with you, Foofie. I wonder why given that you swallowed the oath BS hook, line and sinker.

Somebody will be around for you soon. It's back to propaganda camp for you.
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:38 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I don't see much of an actual argument from you george. I see scare tactics and inability to deal with what is actually in the bill.

Same ole, same ole, same ole, ...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:41 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
So it is subject to change?
And it is possible that some rather despicable things could still be included?

I give you Gob1Jr, a clone.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:45 pm
@revel,
Debate over health care is becoming racist? I guess I'm falling behind times.
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
In any event, they will be the folks running your health care and spending your tax dollars.

Well, if honesty was your thing, you'd have to note that your statement was another Gob1 attempt at misleading.

The government has been taxing and spending people's money even before you were born, george.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:49 pm
@JTT,
You did not understand my point. Perhaps, I did not explain it that well; however, you may disengage from referencing my posts, if you want to be a pleasant guy. Regardless, we have too little in common to conversate.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:49 am
@roger,
Quote:
Debate over health care is becoming racist? I guess I'm falling behind times.

I am not aware I made a statement of the debate of health care becoming racist or even an implied statement to the effect of the same.
revel

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:24 am
Just ordinary protesters at work.

Quote:
'Death to Obama' sign holder in Md. detained
By DAVID DISHNEAU (AP) " 19 hours ago

HAGERSTOWN, Md. " The Secret Service is investigating a man who authorities said held a sign reading "Death to Obama" outside a town hall meeting on health-care reform in western Maryland.

The sign also read, "Death to Michelle and her two stupid kids," referring to the first name of President Barack Obama's wife, said Washington County Sheriff's Capt. Peter Lazich.

Lazich said deputies detained the unidentified, 51-year-old man near the entrance to Hagerstown Community College about 1 p.m. Wednesday after getting calls from a number of people attending the meeting held by Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md. Obama was not at the meeting.

The sheriff's office turned the man over to the Secret Service, Lazich said.

Barbara Golden, special agent in charge of the agency's Baltimore field office, said Thursday that an investigation is ongoing but declined further comment. A spokesman at the agency's Washington headquarters also declined to discuss the investigation.

Police said there were no other arrests among the nearly 1,000 people, some carrying protest signs, who came to the college for the meeting or demonstrated off-campus.

Cardin's national communications director, Sue Walitsky, called the incident "unfortunate." She said she was unaware of it until Thursday morning.

source

Quote:
The Secret Service may investigate a fax sent to a Democratic lawmaker that depicts President Barack Obama as the Joker and warns of “death to all Marxists.”

The black-and-white fax portrays Obama in makeup similar to that worn by actor Heath Ledger in his portrayal of the Joker in last summer’s “The Dark Knight.”

On Obama’s forehead is a communist hammer-and-sickle insignia, and beneath the image is the text: “Death to All Marxists! Foreign and Domestic!”

source

I could be wrong, but I don't recall the anti-war Iraq war protesters carrying around death threats and the like directed at Bush or his family.

I am a little troubled at WH response to those who are on the receiving end of this harassment to "punch back twice as hard." I hope they just mean by answering the chargers and not with their own harassment's and threats. I am pretty sure the former is the case, but it don't help when supporters of the health care reform get just as obnoxious as the opposers and then nothing gets heard and/or violence breaks out. The WH needs to make this distinction and encourage supporters of the health care reform bill not to act like their counterparts no matter how provoked.

Quote:
Top White House aides gave Senate Democrats a recess battle plan on Thursday, arming the lawmakers with tips for avoiding disastrous town hall meetings while showing them polling on popular aspects of the reform effort.

Senior White House adviser David Axelrod and deputy chief of staff Jim Messina told senators to focus on the insured and how they would benefit from “consumer protections" in the overhaul, such as ending the practice of denying insurance based on preexisting conditions and ensuring the continuity of coverage between jobs.

They showed video clips of the confrontational town halls that have dominated the media coverage, and told senators to do more prep work than usual for their public meetings by making sure their own supporters turn out, senators and aides said.

And they screened TV ads and reviewed the various campaigns by critics of the Democratic plan.

“If you get hit, we will punch back twice as hard,” Messina said, according to an official who attended the meeting.

The hourlong session was the last opportunity for Democratic leaders and the White House to prepare senators for what will be a crucial month in shaping public opinion on health care. With no final legislation to promote, senators have expressed concern about dealing with questions and criticisms about the almost $1 trillion overhaul. The spate of confrontational town hall meetings have raised the stakes.

“They are just helping us understand the fringe that is trying to mess up our meetings,” said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

Senators were urged to zero in on the insured, who need to be convinced that there is something in the bill for them. “The next five weeks is about closing the sale with the insured population,” Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) said.

Axelrod and Messina also presented polling that showed the insurance reforms were popular with women and rural residents.

“There is unprecedented insurance reforms " things that have never been done,” said Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.), a member of the Health, Energy, Labor and Pensions Committee, which approved its health care bill last month. “In our committee, we had to vote, and 10 Republicans voted against all those insurance reforms " every single one of them. Not many people know that but if I have anything to do with it, they will know it.”

The Senate Democratic caucus meeting followed a sitdown earlier Thursday at the White House between President Barack Obama and the six Finance Committee members who have been trying to negotiate a bipartisan bill.

The president urged the group to continue work on a compromise, but it also discussed the possibility of Democrats going it alone if the talks proved fruitless.

"If Republicans aren't there, it could get to the point where sometime after the recess. ... Democrats may have to go in a different direction," Baucus said. "I hope not, but we have to face facts."

But, he added, "I don't think it will become a reality."

The six senators met for about an hour with Obama and discussed policy issues including the expansion of Medicaid. For part of the meeting, they kicked their staff members out of the room, Baucus said. The group includes Baucus, Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.) and Sen. Olympia Snow (R-Maine).

"He encouraged us to continue with the effort and we talked about what policies are better than some others, and how we should keep working through the August recess," Baucus said. "We may reach a point though where have to take stock when we get back. At that point, if things are going great, fine. If not then we may have to go in some other direction."

Snowe said they told Obama there would be no hiatus in their talks through the break, and they agreed to assess their progress in September.

“He is concerned about timelines throughout the fall,” Snowe said. “And he didn’t issue, frankly, any timelines, which I think we also appreciated. He understands there needs to be flexibility, but he obviously knows that time marches on. So he just wants to see what the standing will be at that point so he knows how to proceed himself in moving forward.”

source
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 11:29 am
Take a look

http://www.breitbart.tv/06-flashback-pelosi-tells-anti-war-protesters-im-a-fan-of-disruptors/
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 12:55 pm
@revel,
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't recall the anti-war Iraq war protesters carrying around death threats and the like directed at Bush or his family.

Really? Well, let's see. I could provide you with pictures of t-shirts made stating that Bush should be killed. Plenty of pics are around showing guns pointed at Bush. Of course, maybe we can chalk up your faulty memory to old age or something.

I'm not in any way trying to justify idiots who talk about killing our president. Just pointing out that there are crazies on the other side who did the same in regards to Bush.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:03 pm
http://thepeoplescube.com/images/KillBush_Kids_180.jpg

http://www.belligerati.net/archives/killbush2.jpg

Just a couple of many examples, just so you know I'm not making stuff up. I think the pic of the kids with the sign is truly disgusting. Why any parent would make a sign such as this and give to their kids to publicly display is beyond me. But it just shows that people of all political persuasions can be idiotic.