Can you understand the comment?

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:52 pm
Mr. so-and-so posted a poem to express how his love for his beloved one is deep and, sad (because in twenty years he has not been allowed to see her by the government")

Someone commented:
Don't pretend that you are sophisticated. Just save your passion for further
fermentation.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:08 pm
@oristarA,
Oristar, sometimes I wish you would venture to join us on ordinary a2k threads. You already speak better english than many of us here.
You may not want to join in, but please feel welcome.

Osso
panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
that's sweet
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:40 pm
@panzade,
but I mean it..

It would be a problematic move for Oristar, but if he or she reads the NY Post, really.. how far a move?

Maybe we can suggest a not too weird thread as a starter. (I'll think about this tomorrow).

I suppose a conversation thread could be an intermediate. (Me, the doofus, or doofa, in italian).

Some of us got to connect with JB, who did venture into conversation.
roger

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:52 pm
@ossobuco,
That would be a good thing to do, Oristar.

I do miss J-B, and loved the photos of his home town.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:01 pm
@roger,
We really liked J-B. Nothing political, we just enjoyed that talking.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Some of us got to connect with JB, who did venture into conversation.

I had forgotten about him...what a great guy
panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:26 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Don't pretend that you are sophisticated. Just save your passion for further
fermentation.

The 2 sentences don't go together well...and nobody uses the term "further fermentation"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:33 pm
@panzade,
True, I remember really liking him.

Not that I don't like Oristar, but there is a certain distance with the format and a certain lack of conversation.
I don't mean to push Oristar into posting a conversation thread, but I'll be interested if that ever happens. Or if anyone else works up a thread for general chinese/english conversation.
panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I remember working with JB to draw him in...and he loved American culture so it was easy.
Oristar seems to be more serious about "getting" English. Perhaps for his work...or hers
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you mean I ought to join discussions or conversations of this community (able2know)?
panzade

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:02 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Do you mean I ought to join discussions or conversations of this community (able2know)?

You don't have to ori ,but we think your English would improve faster and you'd gain new friends all over the world
oristarA

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:27 am
@panzade,
Of course.
There is a big picture there.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:31 am
@oristarA,
Maybe neither "ought to" nor "have to", but very welcome to.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:37 am
@panzade,
I agree with Panzade, and he, with me.

We live in different places, but we could talk, Oristar.

I don't mean to push you into a conversation -

I am bringing this up as a possible hope.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 06:53 am

I think I've misused the phrase "ought to" .
I know how friendly you are but I just couldn't find the right words to express the sitution. I wish I can use English with the same accuracy and properness as I use Chinese.
Our discussions or conversations will be comfortable (or should I use the word "cozy" here?).

roger

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 03:34 pm
@oristarA,
I know what you mean. You can study a language for ages, and still not be able to come up with the expressions we use every day in our own languages.

I hope our conversations will always be comfortable and easy going. For some odd reason, I can't remember the last time I used the word 'cozy'. Maybe if I were describing a basket full of puppies, it would sound okay to me.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 04:38 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

I thought you used it accurately, Oristar. Did you mean,

Do you mean you all think it's a good idea for me to join discussions or conversations of this community (able2know)?

I think it's a grand idea. If you want to learn how to swim there's nothing like jumping into the pond.
JTT

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 04:41 pm
@oristarA,
Yup, I understand it perfectly, but I can't stipulate that my understanding matches someone's intended meaning.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 04:48 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA, I'd like to add my voice to the people who'd like to see you joining in on a more conversational thread.

I'm one of the Able2know posters who has English as a second or third language. There is nothing like talking to people to get a good sense of the flow of the language.