The Baseball Thread

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:17 pm

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1069389_391122324321970_794292245_n.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:22 pm
hmmmmm.

Clint Hurdle yanked Grilli in the middle of a bumpy save...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:37 pm
not a good night to be Timmeh...

in his follow up to the no hitter, this time he let everybody get a hit. (ok, Arroyo the pitcher didn't, but he hits less than .100)

this can't help his trade value...
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:11 pm
@Rockhead,
When was the last time any pitcher had a good outing following a no-no?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ouch.

Grilli left with an arm issue...
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/22/jason-grilli-exits-game-with-right-forearm-discomfort/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Timmy was terrible from the outset. then he got worse.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:27 am
@Ticomaya,

1938 -- Johnny Vander Meer...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 08:51 am
Rays to the Sox last night: "We're Back!"

Matt Moore flummoxes Boston with a CG 2 hitter as Rays win 21 out of last 24 and creep within a half game of the AL East lead.

What's up with Ellsbury's arm? Rays base runners were daring him all night.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:00 am
@panzade,

the rays look like a different team from what we saw last month.
moore was light's out.
if he ever pitches a better game than that, it'll be a no-no...

ells is a slight upgrade over johnny damon, arm-wise.
hopefully next year's CF (jackie bradley jr) has a better one...
Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:17 am
Jeff Passan was worth a read this morning...

Ryan Braun doped, lied and cared only for himself

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ryan-braun-doped--lied-and-cared-only-for-himself-050550708.html
panzade

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:19 am
@Region Philbis,
One thing is a constant. Madden is my favorite coach in any sport.

Funny. Erudite. A genius at getting the most out of an iffy squad. Gotta love that guy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:24 am
@Rockhead,
Passion by Passan. Too true.

Also interesting was the debate last night between Schilling and Larkin on Baseball Tonight.
Schilling echoing Passan but Larkin toeing the nothings-been-proved line.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:34 am
@panzade,

that's the nature of it -- each guy picks a side, regardless of how they really feel...
Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:43 am
@Region Philbis,
Far too much legal BS and big time money is at stake. If MLB announced all the candidates that they had the goods (provable), you could collapse the pennant races. I think just about every contender has one or more top performer who are using PED or have recently done so in their past.

Here's my burning question: Why was Braun first?

IMHO, it's no small coincidence that a major player like Braun is on a non-contending team that they offer HIM up as a sacrificial lamb. It also doesn't hurt that he pissed off MLB last year with squirming out of the prior legal case on that chain-of-custody technicality.
panzade

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:45 am
@Ragman,
Yes that's what's so unfair according to Schilling. These guys on the list are affecting the pennant races.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:17 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Why was Braun first?
... maybe because he weaseled out of last year's suspension on a technicality?
Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:31 am
@Region Philbis,
Yup and when 18 months ago how he boldly declared that by everything holy he was innocent of putting anything in his body.

So, Braun was clearly (pun intended ...re 'clear') the lowest-hanging fruit!

Now he's being interviewed crying about how much stress his family is going through by these charges. Wow...talk about tone deaf. I watch this in shock and awe!

Where do you start with A-fraud and the potential of him obstructing justice..obstructing the investigation...maybe trying to buy off Bosch and Biogenesis officials?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:09 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
A-Rod must step to plate, take the hit

A month after his general manager publicly advised him to "shut the f--- up," the time has come for
Alex Rodriguez to speak up.

Ryan Braun, one of the two big fish in Major League Baseball's investigation of Biogenesis (the suspected
drug den disguised as an "anti-aging clinic"), has been hooked, reeled in and filleted.

A-Rod, the other big fish, is next, floundering before the bait while baseball's investigators prepare
to set the hook.

This is not the time to hide behind spokespeople or lawyers, to issue "no comments" or simply to run
and hide. The big fish cannot afford to clam up.

Alex Rodriguez needs to do what Andy Pettitte did six years ago: Man up. Open up. And tell the truth,
the whole truth and nothing but.

It seems as if baseball wasn't bluffing when it leaked, through various lieutenants in and out of the media,
that its case against Braun and Rodriguez was virtually airtight, and that even without a positive drug test,
it would bury the two, along with something like 20 others, in a blizzard of incriminating paper and hours of
unshakeable testimony.

There must be a whole lot of truth in it, or else there's no way Ryan Braun, cocksure to the
point of arrogance when he overturned his 2011 steroid suspension on a legal technicality,
would so meekly accept a 65-game suspension, without appeal, and issue a mealy-mouthed
"apology" of sorts in which, Nixon-like, he accepted the responsibility, but not the blame.

"As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect," Braun said in a statement. "I realize now that
I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions."

Braun went on to mention "the toll it has taken on his family," and "the distraction" it has been to his teammates,
without acknowledging that he was the cause of that toll and those distractions. But nowhere does he acknowledge
his PED usage; nowhere in the statement does the word "steroids" appear. That kind of thing might play in Milwaukee
(although I doubt it), but it will never play in New York.

Alex Rodriguez needs to finally and completely bare his soul on what he did and why he did it. No glib lines about
popping tic-tacs, no evasive double talk, no blaming his "mistakes" on a doctor or a personal trainer or an adviser
or a cousin.
(espn)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:24 am
@Ragman,
"Why was Braun first?"

because he called MLB and offered to deal.

first...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:02 pm
damn.

cinci is beating the giants like they own them.

picked right up where they left off last night.

and there is a second game yet to go tonight with Zito as the tosser...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 10:48 am
what in the hell is Alex thinking?

MLB investigating Alex Rodriguez’s link with new doctor
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/24/mlb-investigating-a-rods-link-with-new-doctor/

I think he's channeling Melky...