The Baseball Thread

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 06:41 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I like the status quo where the two leagues are decidedly opposite on this issue. It makes the interleague games more exciting when the visiting team must adapt to the home team's league rule.

Then again, I've always been biased towards the American League and I like them to keep the perpetual advantage. Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 12:40 pm
Interesting melee in La Land last night.
Greinke plinked Padres Quentin and suffered a broken collar bone in the brawl that ensued.
Was Quentin totally at fault?
What should be his punishment?
One radio-wag suggested Quentin should be suspended as long as Greinke is on the DL>
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:31 pm
@panzade,
IMHO, this was a despicable act by Quentin. I feel that based upon games strategy and what was transpiring at the time ... it was unlikely that it was a 'purpose pitch' or intended. The fight ensued just like fights have been happening for 120-yr-history of MLB. Increasing the suspension time to 10-15 games might help a bit.

IMHO, Quentin should be suspended realistically for about 10 games...based on recent levels of suspensions for similar 'crimes'. Justice might be served if he was suspended as long as Greinke is out of action, but that won't happen and it shouldn't. Not justifying it, but the fact remains that Quentin is the most often plunked in MLB because he hangs over the plate. He has not responded this way in any other scenario. This pitch hardly phased or hurt him. I think it was intended as a brushback pitch.

{Edit: I just learned in the talking head report that Quentin warned Greinke if he ever plunked him again, he'd go after him}

The fact that Pitcher's collarbone was broken was an incidental by-product of the assault...but **** like this seldom happens when clashes like this occur...and fortunately it's pretty unusual. Quentin is a beefy guy (40 lbs greater) and charged him like a mad bull. It is alleged by the talking heads that the pitcher was acting a bit macho after the pitch and that may have made inflamed matters.

Also, not mentioned anywhere is that the catcher should have gone after Quentin and interceded before he got to his pitcher.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 03:48 pm
A suspension isn't enough to deter this sort of behavior. Greinke should sue Quentin for assault.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 03:50 pm
I want to see how the next Dodger pitcher is going to throw to Quentin.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:05 pm
@fbaezer,

that's how these dust-ups used to be settled.
you-hit-us? we-hit-you-back.
none of this charging the mound crap-oler...
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:07 pm
Quote:
Sources: A-Rod Paid To Prevent Leak Of Docs

MIAMI -- Sources familiar with MLB's investigation into a Miami-area drug clinic say
MLB investigators have been told that Alex Rodriguez paid a former clinic employee
to prevent the release of potentially damaging documents.

Those same sources say that while MLB investigators find the Rodriguez information
credible, the investigators have no physical evidence to connect the New York Yankees'
star to payments.

The New York Times reported Friday that MLB investigators had evidence that Rodriguez
bought documents from a Biogenesis employee, but a source close to MLB's
investigation said that was not correct.

If MLB can acquire physical evidence or convince witnesses to give sworn statements,
Rodriguez could not only face suspension from Major League Baseball, but possible
criminal charges.
(espn)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
that's how these dust-ups used to be settled.
you-hit-us? we-hit-you-back.
none of this charging the mound crap-oler...

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/35/nolan02.jpg
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Greinke should sue Quentin for assault.

Sue! Sue! Sue! Sue!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:29 pm
@Ticomaya,

ron hunt never charged the mound.
frank robinson never charged the mound.
don baylor never charged the mound, by golly...
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 08:22 pm

8-game suspension for Quentin...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 08:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
I just heard that on S.N.Y. (myself)...

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 08:41 pm
@Region Philbis,
Don Baylor would have made it half way to the mound, and needed a water break.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 04:50 am
@Ticomaya,

yeah, that...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 08:09 am

Nelson Cruz broke his bat in the sixth inning of Saturday night’s Rangers-Mariners game.
The top half of the bat wound up back in the Rangers’ dugout, the bat was passed to
Yu Darvish, and for some reason, he sniffed it multiple times...

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/yudarvishsmellsbrokenbat.gif?w=427&h=238
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 08:35 pm

ben revere lays out...

http://d3fsqtc6sy2z27.cloudfront.net/uploads/4d27e92ea567f36fe19d545fe09694d3_large
Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 12:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
I can watch that play over and over. That's my fantasy pick for 'ya. Now if he could only hit ...!
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 03:14 pm
Matt Harvey vs Strasburg tonight!

My own bold prediction...

Harvey, 7 inn pitched...2 earned runs...8 or 9 k's...first loss...

Strasburg...7 innings pitched 0 earned runs...10 k's...win...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 03:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
I think Yu was trying to smell George Brett's pine tar! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Ben Revere, that was a really great catch...The only ones I can remeber that were close, were Dewayne Wise, Roger Bernadina, and Jim Edmonds back in the day...

The greatest play(s) I have ever seen were when Griffey ran into the wall breaking his arm, and when he timed the ball and ran up the wall to snag a home run...

Very Happy...He was the greatest of my young generation!

Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 03:48 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

I think Yu was trying to smell George Brett's pine tar!