The Baseball Thread

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:53 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

i've seen a couple of 4-K innings, but can't remember who the pitchers were...

looked it up -- it's happened less than 100 times...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:08 am
@Region Philbis,
LoL...Naw I know mate....just a bar bet joke...that ain't ever happening....the dang catcher would be pulled after the third one...Wink

I don't remember any 4 k's...

but I think I remember a few pass ball k's...

I think Marmol had one with his real nasty stuff...but I maybe be wrong...and I remember a recent Met doing it...I want to say Dickey but I do not think that that is correct...

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:13 am
@Region Philbis,
I just remember when Lincecum had the first 9 in a row...then ended up with 15 in 7...cause one inning he had none...

then he gave up a homer in the 7th, and was in line to lose so they pulled him...and did lose...I think it was against the marlins 3 years ago...

I was able to see RJ do 20 live on TV...was pretty amazing...

I remember Kerry's...and Roger's second...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:12 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I once saw live a 4 K inning in the Mexican League.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:16 pm
@fbaezer,
That would be pretty dang cool to see...Wink
fbaezer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:18 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
On May 13 1952, Ron Necciai, of Bristol, Appalachian League threw a no-hitter and struck out 27 batters.
That same year, Pittsburgh took 20 year-old Necciai to MLB, where he was happily hit upon. He played for 12 games, with a 1-6, 7.08 record, was sent back to the minors and never recovered.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:19 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I was with an Italian friend, explaining him the rules, and exactly when he asked something about the strike-out, the third strike passed ball came.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:23 pm
@fbaezer,
Wait, so it was a no hitter and not a perfect game because he struck out 27? But had a pass ball so it was not perfect?

That is even crazier, because he would have had a perfect, perfect game...but since someone reached on a pass, it gave him an extra chance at 27 k's...so I guess if I assume, he would have had a 26 k's perfect game? Or where there more than one?
fbaezer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 06:59 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
As far as I know it was only a no-hitter.

Sorry if 2 consecutive posts may have been confusing.

One was about the 4 K inning I saw in Mexico (1985, I think).

The other was refering to a previous post of yours, about strikeouts in one game.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 07:34 pm
@fbaezer,
Yeah...I got ya mate...

So he struck out all 27 batters to get his outs? And did not give up a hit? But allowed someone else reach? (BB perhaps)

Got it! That is cool!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 04:55 am

have we achieved parity?

4-5 games into the season, no team is undefeated and every team has at least one win
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings
fbaezer

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 05:03 pm
@Region Philbis,
If you look at W-L percentages in baseball and compare them to American football (the NFL boasts about having achieved parity), you'll see that even the most loop-sided baseball season has more parity than football.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 08:30 pm
Is anyone watching the Mets right now?

If someone is not...check out E.S.P.N. tonight...or S.N.Y. or Y.E.S. etc...

Jonathan Papelbon got 2 out in the ninth, in a non save situation...and then actually asked the umpire to call the game...LoL....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 05:04 am

file this one under "WTF?"

Quote:
Goat's head sent to Wrigley Field

A goat's head was delivered to Wrigley Field on Wednesday addressed to Chicago Cubs
owner Tom Ricketts, a team spokesman confirmed.

No note was included, and it was turned over to Chicago police.

"We got a call at 2:30 p.m., responding to 1060 West Addison, Wrigley Field," a Chicago
Police Department spokesman said. "We're investigating it as an intimidating package."

The package was found at Gate K near the field, the team spokesman told the Chicago
Tribune.

It's possible the goat's head is in reference to a "curse" placed on the team during the
1945 World Series. Restaurant owner Billy Sianis brought his goat to a game, but was
asked to leave and he vowed the team would never win again.
(espn)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 11:37 am
They shouldn't export the DH to the National League IMHO.
Designated hitters for everybody
Thanks to daily interleague play, seeing the DH in both leagues is inevitable

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9158659/mlb-designated-hitter-spread-nl
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 03:27 pm
@tsarstepan,

i can see the arguments on both sides...

old-timey basbeall purists enjoy the NL brand of pitchers bunting and double-switches.

but the DH creates 15 more major league jobs, as well as more offense.

the player's assoc will fight for those 15 jobs.

neither side will be happy if they have to change.

but i think it's wrong to play by two sets of rules, depending on who the home team is...
fbaezer

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 03:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
I have just been called an "old timey baseball purist".

Blah!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 03:53 pm
For instance, today, the Giants' manager had to think twice before letting Ryan Vogelsong bat.

SF was losing 5.2, 2 outs, men on first and second, the pitcher's turn. Vogelsong had allowed 4 earned runs in 3 innings (+ one unearned one). What do you do?
Those are the moments in which every baseball loving fan is a manager.

Bochy decided to let his pitcher bat.

As it happened, Vogelsong rolled to short-stop, Starlin Castro made an error, one runner scored and a winning rally was on its way.

I still would've sent a pinch hitter.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 03:55 pm
@fbaezer,
I prefer the National game myself, old man.

but we are a dying breed...

(vogey swings a decent bat for a pitcher)
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 04:29 pm
@Rockhead,
I agree Rock...I think if the pitchers are in the field of play, as a positioned player, they should bat...

I don't think there should be a DH, but if there, there should be in both leagues...