The Baseball Thread

Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 09:16 am
@Region Philbis,
RIP to both guys. Both are some of the best that baseball has ever had. Loved the interview clip with Tim Kurkjian.

Stan was before my time, though I knew his reputation and saw films. A classy guy all the way, so I've heard.

Weaver was manager when I was an avid teenaged baseball fan and followed everything about baseball. I used to love to see him manage. The Oriole teams put out there were amazing - Hall of Fame amazing! I never knew what the term pepperpot meant until it referred to him.

He knew what pitch to pitch, where to place the team's defense...and gawd help that player that didn't do what he wanted. Just ask Jim Palmer or O's catcher Rick Dempsey.

They don't make them like Earl any more. No offense to Cards fans but certainly not bloodless computer stats guys like Tony La Russa.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 09:54 am
Quote:
Report: Miami PED lists revealed

Records from an anti-aging clinic in Miami list the names of prominent baseball players -- including
Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera and Gio Gonzalez -- and detail performance-enhancing drugs
administered to them and others, according to a report Tuesday by the Miami New Times.

The names were on records Miami New Times said were given to them by an employee who worked
at Biogenesis of America before it closed last month. Miami New Times reported that the records show
the firm sold performance-enhancing drugs, including human growth hormone, testosterone and anabolic
steroids.

Anthony Bosch, the 49-year-old head of the clinic, was connected to Manny Ramirez when the former
MLB star was suspended for 50 games for violating baseball's drug policy in 2009. Bosch has never been
charged by local or federal officials.
(espn)
Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 04:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
Why I'm shocked...no I'm not. Hopefully this will be the final nail in the A-rod saga.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:42 am
What does everyone expect from Lincecum this season?
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:49 am
@Region Philbis,
You want to know something though mate? I am not really an A-rod fan anymore...But in all honesty, I do not think it is impossible the yanks got something to do with this to dump as much cash as they can....Or fight it...the whole thing sounded fishy...If A-rod has that money coming to him, and would not even have to play for it...Probably won't break any significant records anymore...And may not even get into the Hall with his steroids admit...

Why would he have a reason to dope again? How could he be that stupid? That would be the only one thing that would hurt him in every way even more...and other than that he could have just got his money and retired...He would have got his 114 million...If he was hurt or not....It just does not add up to me...And I really do not like defending A-rod anymore...but I think the yanks had something to do with this...
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:05 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

the problem seems to be these un-named "clubhouse guys", not official medical staffers.
curt schilling was approached about taking PED's in 2008.
knowing what the penalty is, why would a team like the yankees ever encourage it?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:24 am
@Region Philbis,
I don't think they were encouraging it...I am saying it kinda sounded like a BS claim from the start to try to fight against paying him the money they owe him, cause his career is basically over, and the yanks are stuck with him till 2015, and owe him another 114 millions dollars...I think it kinda sounded like someone perpetrated that story, to try to avoid as much money as they could...And if it was a Yankee insider...I think they did it on purpose to make it look like he was doping, since he was caught before...So many would believe the story without a lot of proof...and Yanks could say they think it was wrong, at the same time...Save some face...And find a way to dump some of his money on purpose behind closed doors...not encouraging doping....but purposely try to screw A-rod over...Because they had no way out of paying him his money...No one would pick up his contract in a trade...etc...Because I really could not fathom that a man like A-rod would be that stupid and do it again and get caught, when whether he played or not, he was gonna get paid...But by taking them...He knew he would jeopardize his money, which was the one leverage he had left in his career...But I surely could be wrong, and A-rod could have been stupid enough to do roids again....
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:35 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Because I really could not fathom that a man like A-rod would be that stupid and do it again and get caught
i think you're giving him too much credit.
i'd put manny ramirez in the same category -- dopes who don't learn from their mistakes...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 12:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
Like I said mate, I could be. And it is very possible I am. But I am not a fan of A-rod anymore. And I have to be honest, that was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard it after hearing A-rod would be out 3 months or whatever, and the yanks owed him that much, and were going to be stuck with him....

But he certainly could have cheated again, if he had once before...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:37 pm

speakin' of cheatin'...

Quote:
Source: Braun on another clinic document

MIAMI -- The list was written in April, in the hand of Biogenesis of America clinic founder Anthony Bosch.
Among the names is the Milwaukee Brewers' Ryan Braun, and to the right of that name is a figure: $1,500.

That list, a source familiar with Bosch's operation told "Outside the Lines," indicates that those players
received performance-enhancing drugs from Bosch and owed him money. The document, one of dozens
obtained by "Outside the Lines," suggests a closer link to Bosch and the now-shuttered clinic he ran in
Coral Gables, Fla., than Braun has acknowledged.

The list is not definitive proof that Braun either received or used PEDs -- either would be a suspendable
offense under Major League Baseball policy -- but may draw him more squarely into the spotlight as the
league investigates the scandal and tries to draw the interest of law enforcement.

The Brewers outfielder was first connected to Bosch in a Yahoo! Sports report last week -- citing a different
document -- that did not connect his name to drugs. Braun explained the report by saying he had consulted
with Bosch during his successful appeal of a positive drug test a year ago. Why he consulted with Bosch, who
is not a physician but presents himself as one, has not been made clear.

Bosch had been identified four years ago as a source for the HCG prescription that led to Manny Ramirez's
50-game suspension. That prescription was written by Bosch's father, Pedro, who is a licensed physician
in the Miami area. According to the documents cited by Yahoo! Sports, Bosch sought $20,000 to $30,000
from Braun.

But a source familiar with the documents obtained by "Outside the Lines" said the list with Braun's name,
which also includes New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez and Francisco Cervelli and Toronto's Melky Cabrera,
was a list of players who received PEDs, and that there is "no other reason to be on that paper."

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0215/otl_espn_clinicplayernames_576.jpg

One of the documents shows plus signs next to the players' names, which are circled for players who paid
their fees, a source said. Braun's $1,500 fee is marked as being unpaid. Braun's name appears on another
list of player names, dollar amounts and dates but is not included in the listing; rather, his name is at the
bottom of the page under a line with "Expenses" written on it.
(espn)
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:47 pm
@Region Philbis,
They should start hitting these jack-off's up with these drug labs with some seriously penalties...So they too understand how bad it is to provide players with drugs...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 05:58 pm

this is what spring training is for...

http://d3fsqtc6sy2z27.cloudfront.net/uploads/ed2c189181314c2c8df435f646284b58_large
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 08:22 pm
Larry the Cable Guy is pissed off:

Quote:
You know, Cincinnati is banning chatter from little league baseball games.

You can't go "hey, batter batter! Hey, batter batter!"

It's ridiculous. I mean, I can understand "Your mom's a whore," or "Hey, retard!" But "hey, batter batter."

Ugh, this country. I have one thing to say to Cincinnati officials. Blow me.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 04:12 am
@panzade,
I see that all the CArdinals are having a meeting in Rome. R they gonna miss the whole preseason?
Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 07:50 am
@farmerman,
Arrgh. You beat me to that one.

I was going to ask whether Tony La Russa will be deciding this very soon?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 05:59 pm

http://d3fsqtc6sy2z27.cloudfront.net/uploads/b994f5327dc796e731e5459c96700b37_large

timmeh being timmeh...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 07:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
Mr. Green Mr. Green

He supposedly went with the clean cut look...not sure if you seen it on E.S.P.N.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:22 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

not yet -- i'll check it out...

meanwhile, i think bryce harper's pretty psyched he doesn't have to face this:

http://d3fsqtc6sy2z27.cloudfront.net/uploads/bcf8982d5de3aaf6d8fff361a4671b84_large
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
I keep waiting for the bird explosion.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:27 pm
@Ticomaya,

your wait is over my friend...

http://gifs.gifbin.com/1232905640_bird%20gets%20pitched.gif
0 Replies