The Baseball Thread

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:05 pm
@Rockhead,

it's disturbing that both of these occured in the bay (BALCO) area...
Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
I kinda hafta wonder about Vogey...

his production is way down from about the time he woulda got spooked.

sad.

just really sad...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:45 pm
Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez almost Dodgers?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:59 pm
@Ticomaya,
you are forgetting the keystone piece in the trade.

the Sawx are gonna hafta throw in Nick Punto.

they are still considering it...

sounds like spending a lot of money to erase some poor decision making to me.

not much coming back except salary relief...
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:30 am
@Rockhead,

dumping somewhere in the neighborhood of $275 mill, it smells an awful lot like
the sawx are positioning themselves for a big off-season free agent signing.

if so, they have learned nothing from their past mistakes...
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:40 am

this begs the question...

why have a "trading deadline" on july 31st when a massive block-buster can still happen on august 25th?
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:46 am
@Region Philbis,
When you have a lot of money, anything's possible.
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 10:05 am
@Ticomaya,
Except, it seems, to load a team up with players that REALLY want to win games and championships?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:14 pm
@Ragman,
the royals are pounding the sawx today.

how swiftly things turn around...

and Cliff Lee just broke open a scoreless game with an rbi double.

if he does the complete game shut-out thing today, I will probably tear some hair out.

he's on my bench for precautionary reasons. I didn't wanna risk a loss...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

dumping somewhere in the neighborhood of $275 mill, it smells an awful lot like
the sawx are positioning themselves for a big off-season free agent signing.

if so, they have learned nothing from their past mistakes...

Yeah, understand your skepticism about spending big money on long-term contracts. But it's gotta feel good to unload Beckett and Crawford.

Next up, Valentine?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:51 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

this begs the question...

why have a "trading deadline" on july 31st when a massive block-buster can still happen on august 25th?

Because it's not a trading deadline, it's a trading-without-having-to-go-through-waivers deadline. Trading can happen at any time during the season, it's just that players traded after July 31 have to be put on waivers first.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
it's all about the cash now...

besides the dodgers, who claimed anyone after July 31st?

and they obviously didn't look to see how well building a huge contract team is working out for the Angels...
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 05:19 pm
Rockhead wrote:
the royals are pounding the sawx today.
the pounders ultimately became the poundees...

Gargamel wrote:
it's gotta feel good to unload Beckett and Crawford.

Next up, Valentine?
glad they're gone... gonzo too.
he didn't start hitting until after the all-star break, and his HR total is way down.

bobby V actually got the loudest ovation of the day after getting demonstrative, and then tossed after a bad call @ first base.
he may not be back next year -- john farrell is prolly headed back, but it seems like the fans are ok with him finishing out the year...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:21 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

it's all about the cash now...

besides the dodgers, who claimed anyone after July 31st?

I don't know if there's some kind of "gentlemen's agreement" among GMs not to screw up blockbuster post-deadline trades by asserting a claim on one of the players involved. In this case, I think the other teams that might have been interested in some of the players were scared off by the big contracts.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:52 am
@joefromchicago,

the general consensus around the league was utter shock that LA agreed to take on those contracts...
Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
it's only money...

Justin Toole plays all nine positions in minor-league game

"But let's even take it one more step. Well, more than one more. Let's take the concept manager Russ Nixon used in '94 with Higgins and Lockhart and expand it to all nine starting players: Nine guys, nine different positions, one game. It would create scorecard chaos. Some might even think it makes a travishamockery of baseball. Well, the sport that brought you Eddie Gaedel and fans-as-managers begs to differ. It would take a lot of planning and patience, but it's really the final frontier for the multiple position stunt.

We'll probably never see it in the majors, but sometime in late September it would make a Twins-Indians game much more enticing to watch."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/justin-toole-plays-nine-positions-minor-league-game-174929078--mlb.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 02:42 pm
@Gargamel,
Quote:
Rockhead wrote:
ok.

it's early, but hey...

who do you like for the world series this year?

I like Detroit and the Reds.

rooting for SF, but I don't see it. damn that Zito...

Angels over the Nats.
reds are lookin' strong these days.
they've just about weathered the storm of not having votto...
the nats might need another year or two to get seasoned.
the rays could very well be the AL representative -- if their offense wakes up...
Gargamel

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 09:31 am
@Region Philbis,
Ha ha, did I say the Angels? I was such a naive young man in those days a few weeks ago.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 06:19 am
Quote:
Melky Cabrera recuses self from title

Melky Cabrera lost the right to play baseball by failing a drug test and now he has given up
his chance to win the National League batting title.

Cabrera was disqualified from the NL batting honor at his own request when Major League
Baseball and the players' association agreed Friday to a one-season-only change in the rule
governing the individual batting, slugging and on-base percentage champions.

Serving a 50-game suspension, the San Francisco Giants slugger entered Friday with a league-
leading .346 average, seven points ahead of Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen. Cabrera, the
All-Star game MVP, was suspended Aug. 15 for a positive test for testosterone and is missing
the final 45 games of the regular season.

Cabrera had 501 plate appearances, one short of the required minimum, but would have won
the title under section 10.22(a) of the Official Baseball Rules if an extra hitless at-bat were
added to his average and he still finished ahead. With Friday's agreement, that provision won't
apply this year to a player who "served a drug suspension for violating the Joint Drug Program."

he process for the change was set in motion Wednesday evening when Cabrera's agent, Seth
Levinson, sent an email to union head Michael Weiner with an attached letter from Cabrera in
English and Spanish.

"I ask the Players Association to take the necessary steps, in conjunction with the Office of the
Commissioner, to remove my name from for the National League batting title," Cabrera wrote
in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press.

"To be plain, I personally have no wish to win an award that would widely be seen as tainted,
and I believe that it would be far better for the remaining contenders to compete for that
distinction," Cabrera wrote. "So too, the removal of my name from consideration will permit
me to focus on my goal of working hard upon my return to baseball so that I may be able to
win that distinction in a season played in full compliance with league rules. To be plain,
I plan to work hard to vindicate myself in that very manner."
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:14 am

something's gotta give in miama...
Quote:
Heath Bell Critical Of his manager Ozzie Guillen

Miami Marlins reliever Heath Bell was critical of Ozzie Guillen during a radio interview Monday, hinting
that he does not respect the Marlins' opinionated manager.

Bell, who was removed from the closer role after struggling earlier this season, made the comments on
"The Dan Sileo Show" on 560 WQAM in Miami.

"It's hard to respect a guy that doesn't tell you the truth or doesn't tell you face-to-face," Bell said.
"There's probably reasons why."

Bell, 34, has a 5.19 ERA and has converted just 19 of 26 save opportunities this season, his first since
signing a three-year, $27 million contract with the Marlins.

Bell has posted a 3.12 ERA since the demotion from the closer role but said that Guillen has not given
him the opportunity to reclaim the job.

"I stunk in April, plain and simple," Bell said. "I said I stunk, I worked hard, I busted my butt. I think
I've had a tremendous second half. I'm not closing -- I know that. But I just kept my mouth shut because
I want to regain what I had, and I feel like I can't do that."

Bell initially declined to comment directly about Guillen during Monday's interview, saying only, "it's been
an interesting year with Ozzie."

But although he did not state Guillen's name, Bell eventually offered harsh criticism, presumably directed
at the mercurial manager.

"It's just one of those things that -- what you see is what you get," Bell said. "I'm not going to be two-faced.
I'm not going to sneak around your back and say this and that."

Bell's comments came one day after Guillen told Fox Sports Florida that he defends his decision to replace
Bell with Steve Cishek. But Guillen also told the website that Bell would be given the opportunity to close
again in 2013.

Guillen also made headlines on Friday when he made public comments that reportedly angered Marlins owner
Jeffrey Loria.

"If Jeffrey doesn't think I'm doing the job I should do ... it's not the first time he's fired a manager," Guillen
told reporters Friday in New York. "Look yourself in the mirror and ask why so many (expletive)
managers come through here."
(espn)
0 Replies