The Baseball Thread

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:21 pm
Feeling Just Wild About Wild Cards
http://www.npr.org/2012/08/15/158749428/feeling-just-wild-about-wild-cards
Quote:
Bud Selig, the commissioner of baseball, has persuaded his owners and the players to add an extra wild-card team to the playoffs, so now five teams per league will qualify.

I'm fine with the new plan.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:39 pm
@tsarstepan,

an extra slot would have gotten the sawx into the playoffs last year...

R(this year, not so much)P
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:22 pm
Quote:
Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games

San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera has been suspended 50 games after violating
Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Cabrera, the MVP of the 2012 All-Star Game, tested positive for testosterone. His suspension
is effective immediately.

"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used. ... I am deeply
sorry for my mistake," Cabrera said in a release from MLB.

Cabrera has the second-best batting average in the National League at .346, behind Andrew
McCutchen's .359. The Giants (64-53) are tied for the NL West lead with the Dodgers.

The Giants have 45 games remaining this season. Cabrera's suspension will carry over into the
playoffs if the Giants advance to the postseason. If not, Cabrera will be suspended for the first
five games of the 2013 season.
(espn)
Ragman

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
Rockhead

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:11 pm
@Region Philbis,
et tu melky...?

wow.

just wow...
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:04 pm
@Rockhead,
THE PHILLIES ARE STARTIN THEIR MOVE!!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
I heard that, a week or so ago, a Pittsburgh Ump ejected the organist from Pirates game. The ump hd apparently made an unpopulr call and the organist started playing "Three Blind MIce".

The ump did not seem enetertained by the choice of music
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 04:03 pm
@farmerman,
I'd heard that too - thought it was a pretty clever move by organist.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 05:17 pm

on a happier note, Felix Hernandez threw a perfect-o today -- the 3rd one this season...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 05:28 am
@Rockhead,
And he was a puppy. We shoulda known when he started injecting liquefied kibble into his nether regions.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 05:51 pm
they are in the bottom of the 18th inning in St Louis now.

3 to 3.

using up off day starters now...

gonna be a position player pitching soon.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 06:00 pm
pitcher adam wainwright just drew a pinch hit walk...

weirdness.

(rjb's beltran stole 2 bases in the inning to allow him to overtake rhys)

but they go to the 19th inning anyways.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 05:10 am
@Rockhead,

studying the box score of a 19-inning game is always interesting.
time of game 6:07... there was no scoring for 10 straight innings... C mckenry and SS furcal both went ofer-8...
each team used 8 pitchers... SP garcia struck out 10 in 8 innings... RP kelly threw 87 pitches in relief...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:04 am

Roger the Dodger (now 50) has the itch, will pitch for texas independent league team...
Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:22 am
@Region Philbis,
Strategically if he plays Pro ball (perhaps intended by him) this delays the vote for the Hall of fame by another 5 yrs after his new retirement date. By then maybe the furor over steroids/PED tinged players dies down and his chances of getting in the HOF will improve. I think that maybe is calculated into his decision to pitch again.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:35 am
@Ragman,

knowing him, that makes sense.
but i thought the 5-year time frame is based on retirement from MLB...
Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:57 am
@Region Philbis,
But if he does get to play MLB, then the clock starts again plus 5 yrs. He certainly is in excellent shape. His fastball is clocked in at 87 mph. Routinely he has run 3 miles per day ... forever.

He doesn't lack the ability oer confidence to get out minor leaguers. He could work his way back to the majors for a partial season to help some team with their fight in the penant race.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:49 pm
@Ragman,

the question is -- are any of the contenders willing to take a chance on a suspect 50-year old pitcher?
i could see the astros signing him in order to get a few more butts in the seats, but not the rangers...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 02:59 pm
@Ragman,
another... bit... dust...
Quote:
Bartolo Colon gets 50-game ban

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Former Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon of the Oakland Athletics was suspended
for 50 games Wednesday after testing positive for testosterone.

Major League Baseball made the announcement one week after All-Star game MVP Melky Cabrera of the
San Francisco Giants received a 50-game suspension following a positive test for the same substance.

"I apologize to the fans, to my teammates and to the Oakland A's," Colon said in a statement released by
the players' association. "I accept responsibility for my actions and I will serve my suspension as required
by the joint drug program."

He will miss the final 40 games of the regular season and the first 10 games of the postseason if Oakland
advances that far. Any remainder of the suspension would be served in a future season, if Colon signs
another major league contract.

"It's a shock," Oakland reliever Grant Balfour said. "He's a guy that we're definitely relying on right now.
I guess you could say it's bad timing any time, but especially now."

Oakland, which hasn't made the playoffs since 2006, began Wednesday a half-game out in the AL wild-card
race. The A's were preparing for an afternoon series finale against Minnesota when they got the news from
clubhouse televisions. A closed-door team meeting was called.

"The Oakland Athletics are disappointed to learn of today's suspension," the team said in a statement.

General manager Billy Beane received word from MLB earlier Wednesday and began searching for a starter to
take Colon's turn in the rotation Thursday at Tampa Bay. Tyson Ross will be called up from Triple-A Sacramento.
Beane addressed the A's in the clubhouse before the team took the field for pregame warmups.

"Listen, it's disappointing. From a baseball standpoint, we're scrambling," Beane said. "We're all disappointed,
not just for the Giants and the A's, but for baseball."

The 39-year-old Colon is 10-9 with a 3.43 ERA in 24 starts this season, his first with the A's, and has a 171-122
record in 15 big league seasons.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm wondering where this ends...

I had my suspicions with Colon.

but I could list ten more guys having a better year than their history portends...

hmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMrttj8Ucg