The Baseball Thread

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:20 pm
@Ragman,

looks like lee is staying put...
shoppach is keeping lavarnway in triple-A, so they might trade him now...

phillies OF pence to the giants (espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:17 pm

cubs trade SP dempster to texas (espn)
royals trade RP broxton to cincy (espn)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:19 pm
"Cliff Lee will be placed on waivers and is expected to clear Friday afternoon", Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan reports.
Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:24 pm
@Rockhead,
uh oh?! Red Sawx sniffing around for him?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:27 pm
@Ragman,

we may have our sights set on a more affordable piece -- old friend derek lowe...
Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
Derek ******* Lowe. Did they shoot him with embalming fluid? Why not Jamie Moyer?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:49 pm
@Ragman,
my best guess is that Lee will become a Yankee...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 12:36 pm
the Dodgers are the new black...

"Lee was claimed by the Dodgers but remains unlikely to be traded by the Phillies, Fox Sports' Jon Morosi reports.

By winning the waiver claim, the Dodgers have the rights until Sunday to negotiate a potential trade with the Phillies. However, the Phillies don't appear inclined on assuming a decent chunk of Lee's salary in a trade, which could ultimately bring those talks to a halt. The Dodgers already acquired Joe Blanton, Lee's rotation mate, in a trade with the Phillies earlier Friday."

they apparently have more money than god.

but not enough to take on Lee's whole contract...

hmmmm.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 10:27 pm
Johnny Damon is looking for a team again...

"DETROIT (AP) -- Johnny Damon was cut by Cleveland on Friday after struggling through 64 games with the Indians, leaving the veteran outfielder facing an uncertain future once again.

Damon, designated for assignment, signed with Cleveland on April 17 but hit only .222 with four home runs.

''He made an impact on a lot of people here, despite not performing the way he was expecting and we were expecting,'' Cleveland manager Manny Acta said. ''He's still a guy who can move around pretty good. I think he was affected by missing spring training, and I think I have a sense that he probably is going to continue to play, and he is open to joining somebody else.''

The Indians recalled outfielder Ezequiel Carrera from Triple-A Columbus.

Cleveland had lost six straight and trailed the first-place Chicago White Sox in the AL Central by 7 1/2 games entering Friday night's game. The Indians designated right-hander Derek Lowe for assignment earlier this week.

''We're not making changes just to make changes, or to bring young kids just to bring young kids,'' Acta said. ''Obviously, those were spots where we weren't getting the production we were hoping for, and might as well make moves and bring somebody else in.''

The 38-year-old Damon has spent most of his career with Kansas City, Boston and the New York Yankees, but he's bounced around the last few seasons, playing with Detroit in 2010 and Tampa Bay last year.

He has 2,769 hits but may be running out of time if he wants to make a run at the 3,000 milestone.

Cleveland has 10 days to trade Damon or release him.

''I can't speak for him. I don't know whether he was expecting it or not,'' Acta said. ''He's been around long enough - a guy like him and Derek. I'm sure they probably knew that something probably had to be done.''

Last season, Damon batted .261 with 16 homers, 73 RBIs and 19 steals in 150 games for the Tampa Bay Rays. It was the 16th consecutive season Damon played at least 140 games, a feat he shared with only Hank Aaron, Brooks Robinson and Pete Rose.

That streak ends this year.

Damon has appeared in 59 postseason games for the Rays, Oakland Athletics, Yankees and Red Sox."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/slumping-indians-cut-johnny-damon-201416363--mlb.html
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 08:32 pm
Giant pickle: All nine San Francisco defenders converge on infield during extended rundown

"It was definitely one of the crazier rundowns we've seen in recent years. All things considered, it was also a well executed rundown by the Giants (aside from Marco Scutaro's hiccup) and an admirable effort by Young to stay alive that long. That earned him a nice applause from Rockies fans who were willing to look past yet another fundamental breakdown by the home team just for the sake of witnessing something entertaining."

(with video)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/giant-pickle-nine-san-francisco-defenders-converge-infield-073714078--mlb.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 10:14 am

texas has an unhappy camper in the bullpen...
Rockhead

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 03:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
never trust a player that sits out to dictate his own terms. always a clubhouse problem in the end...

an interesting article about an old jersey, but not nearly as interesting as the link at the bottom to an old earl weaver interview. I am but a rank amateur swearer by comparison...

Shocked

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/authentic-earl-weaver-jersey-bought-1-50-bay-201930028--mlb.html
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 07:11 pm
ok.

it's early, but hey...

who do you like for the world series this year?

I like Detroit and the Reds.

rooting for SF, but I don't see it. damn that Zito...
Lash

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:58 pm
@Rockhead,
ZITO WINS!!!
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:08 pm
@Lash,
blind squirrel theory at work.

the reds were cards from beating up matt cain...
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 04:32 am
@Rockhead,

nats over texas, but not very confident about texas...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 04:45 pm
@Rockhead,
Earl was certainly a one-of-a-kind manager. Thanks for finding this Rocky
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 10:41 pm
What's this gossip about the Boston Red Sox being sold in the near future?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:55 am
@Miller,

there ain't none...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:39 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

ok.

it's early, but hey...

who do you like for the world series this year?

I like Detroit and the Reds.

rooting for SF, but I don't see it. damn that Zito...

Angels over the Nats.