The Baseball Thread

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:57 pm
@Ragman,
it really depends on how they number them.

I would take (and have) San Francisco's 4 and 5 guys over him...

(I think Zito is 3, and he's the most overpaid soft tosser in the game.)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:04 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how good is he compared to other #3 starters?
his numbers don't stack up to other #1 starters, which is what he's supposed to be this year...
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:09 pm
@Region Philbis,
Sorry, with all respect, who that isn't drinking the Kool-Aid, thinks he's #1? Maybe, awhile ago (not this season) he might have been considered as one. On this staff, for this season, I would think it was #1 Beckett (pfizzzled) and then mebbe #2 Buchholz (ditto). Have I been away from the radio waves of WEEI and Fenway Park Franks too long?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
@Ragman,
yahoo sports authority has him down as the #1.

I'm not sure where region and jes drafted him, but I'm guessing it was middle high...
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:17 pm
@Ragman,

all i'm saying is he was projected to be #1 this year...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:18 pm
@Rockhead,

6th... Mad
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
ouch.

and Vogey was a non roster invitee...

it's been a weird season.

lookit Cliff Lee...
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Pardon my intrusion. I can see this discussion is more directed towards Fantasy Leaguer issues than a baseball thread. I'll bow out.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:39 pm
@Ragman,
not at all...

but when you start comparing numbers, that's the databases that come into play.
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:53 pm
@Rockhead,
gotch'ya
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:29 pm
Rick Ankiel gets cut by Nationals on his birthday

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/rick-ankiel-gets-cut-nationals-birthday-194031978--mlb.html
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:53 pm
it looks like Dempster is a Dodger...

"Jul 19 The Dodgers reportedly have offered a trade for Dempster and the Cubs have set up contingency plans if he is traded before Friday's planned start against the Cardinals, according to ESPN AM-1000.

Recommendation: There are a few teams along with the Dodgers who are interested in Dempster, including the Tigers. It's looking like Dempster could be moved before his scheduled start Friday, as the Cubs acquired pitcher Justin Germano from the Red Sox for cash and pitcher Casey Coleman will travel to St. Louis in case Dempster is traded or Germano does not make the club in time. "

fwiw: I think he makes a lousy tiger, but we'll see...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:01 pm
Royals get RHP P Guthrie for LHP Sanchez

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/royals-rhp-p-guthrie-lhp-170153469--mlb.html;_ylt=Apc8V4EpIAVojWYo4aIy6uARvLYF;_ylu=X3oDMTRtNmhlcDFmBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE1MQiBIZWFkbGluZXMEcGtnAzZlYTZkMzFmLTU4YTktMzllZC04YTRhLTM4MTQyMjMyYzE1NARwb3MDMwRzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVkTFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyA2RkMTA5YTUwLWQyYjItMTFlMS1iZWYzLTYyYzJlMjg0Y2EwYw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoODgyNmttBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANtbGIEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

(yikes. link from beyond)

hmmmmm.

offhand, I say "what the hell". Sanchez was worser than horrid. and we already gave Melky away. he's not coming back any decade soon.

Guthrie canno be any more bad than Sanchez was. and I was a supporter initially. (although I would have kept melky and moved frenchy the pizza guy)

I may try to watch the game sunday.

maybe...
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 06:42 am
@Rockhead,

guthrie has always had the potential to be great, but has never been able to put it all together.
the change of scenery may help...
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 06:48 am
@Region Philbis,
I really like his music. "This land is your land ..." Humming.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 09:24 am

ichiro has joined the dark side...
Ragman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 09:28 am
@Region Philbis,
Ichi-meter is already counting. He got his first Dark-sider single and a stolen base.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:22 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Ichiro Suzuki apparently wanted the New York Yankees even more than the Yankees wanted him.

Before completing a trade to acquire the Japanese star, the Yankees spelled out a list of conditions
to Ichiro, a former American League MVP and two-time batting champion.

Ichiro would be asked to switch positions, hit at the bottom of the lineup and possibly
sit against left-handed pitching.

"He was fully educated on all our requirements," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told
ESPNNewYork.com. "One by one, every box got ticked off."

Ichiro had requested a trade from the last-place Seattle Mariners, the only big league team he had
ever played for after coming to the U.S. from Japan as a 27-year-old in 2001. But the Yankees were
not sure the 10-time All-Star would be willing to make all the adjustments they required.

After Ichiro agreed to the conditions -- and waived his no-trade clause -- Cashman and Mariners GM
Jack Zduriencik completed the deal that was initiated in a phone call between Mariners president
Chuck Armstrong and Randy Levine, his counterpart with the Yankees.

"(Ichiro) was asked to make a lot of sacrifices," Cashman said. "And he agreed to all of them."

A team source acknowledged that if the player's name wasn't Ichiro, the Yankees probably wouldn't
have had any interest in the outfielder, who is batting a career-low .261 this season.

But the consensus among Yankees scouts was that Ichiro was "bored" playing for the last-place Mariners
and was "playing down to his surroundings." The Yankees hope this situation will reverse itself with the
38-year-old Ichiro suddenly shifted to a first-place team with a legitimate hope of reaching the World Series.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:54 am

trade deadline doings...

cubs C soto to the rangers (espn)
phillies OF victorino to the dodgers (espn)
Ragman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
Phillies are keeping Lee or not?

Are Sawk keeping catcher Kelly Shoppach? Mets, Rangers are hot for him. They better not trade their best defensive catcher.

Stupid Sweeney punches a door and is now on DL 6-8 weeks. Oh yeah...ferkin dumb jock! How hard was it to tip over the water coller. Mebbe he didn't want to risk his life from his teammates and get killed because that was where the beer was.