The Baseball Thread

Sturgis

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 06:46 am
At first I thought it must be a mistake. Then I looked again and it was true.

When I wasn't looking, my favorite NL team rose to the top in the Central. For at least this moment, my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates are at the top.

If somehow there is a miracle of the greatest form possible, and the Pirates face the Yankees in the fall, I will loudly cheer for my Yankees; but, won't be too saddened if the Pirates take it all. It's been a while and they deserve it.

This weekend The Yankees head north to Boston for a 4 game series.

7:10 p.m. Friday, followed by 12:35 p.m. Saturday and again at 7:15 , then wrapping it up at 8:05 p.m. Sunday.

An interesting series as we head into the All-Star game.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:24 am
@Sturgis,
and the Pirates have your favorite pitcher now.

yes, AJ is their ace.

which is why I don't look for them in October...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:06 am
@Ticomaya,
Wow! Aaron hill is pretty spry and young-looking considering he played in 1931.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 07:34 pm
It's official. Carl Crawford fell on some pavement and shattered in a million pieces. It's true..he really was made of glass.

Toss in the towel on that one 'cause if he ever gets well enough, he'll be collecting social security.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:09 am
@Ragman,

he's been one of the biggest free agent busts of all time, but can ya blame theo for signing him after the career year he had in 2010?

edit
especially after he stole like a gazillion bases against us?
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:02 am
@Region Philbis,
I agree. There's no one in baseball that had a better improvement arc than him. No one active (left fielder) has had a batter range or fielding percentage. No one in history of baseball made it faster to career total of 400 stolen bases at the young age of 29. Doesn't the have the most stolen bases in a game all-time record ? Didn't he steal 6 bases or something?

And he's a Gold-glover and a Silver Slugger award winner, too...but maybe it's time to smell the coffee ... eerr, ah Crawford? Sometimes **** just happens. Has it happened? His contract gives him a 7-yr, $21M per year..not sure how much is guaranteed. the day he started witgh thwe sox they got A-Gon. Perhaps the pressure top perform big time was too great as he does seem to be a high-character person.

This kind of reminds you of what happened to the Yanks with pitcher 'Crash Test Dummy' Carl Pavano - except that Crawford didn't lie or hide his injuries..and he's not a malingerer, that I know of. Eventually Pavano regained some of his effectiveness but it was way past the time with the Yankees.

Don't get me started on Dice-K, though. Twisted Evil

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:57 am
Quote:
Holy Cow! Family Finds Baseball Card Collection That May Fetch $3 Million
July 11, 2012
by Mark Memmott

"My grandfather stuck it in the attic a hundred years ago and here it is now, a blessing to his grandchildren."

A blessing for sure.

As the Toledo Blade reports, when Karl Kissner and his cousins were clearing out his grandfather's home in Defiance, Ohio, on Feb. 29 they came across a box of very rare and very valuable baseball cards.

According to the Blade, "experts say the trove of about 700 nearly mint cards just might represent the greatest and rarest discovery in the sports card industry's history. The best of the collection is expected to fetch more than $500,000 at the National Sports Collectors Convention next month in Baltimore while the entire stock could bring in $3 million."

Heritage Auctions, which is handling the sale of the cards, calls this the "Black Swamp Find" because of the "damp landscape on the edge of Defiance." The best cards in the cache, the Blade says, "are part of a rare 30-player set distributed with caramel candy in 1910. Only 635 of the undersized rectangular cards from the E98 series were known to exist."

According to the family, granddad (Carl Hench) ran a meat market southwest of Toledo and apparently collected the cards that came with the candies. "We guess he stuck them in the attic and forgot about them," Kissner told The Associated Press. Hench died in the 1940s, AP adds.

The set in Defiance had been "frozen in time beneath a wooden doll house and a century's worth of dust," the Blade adds.

Heritage says the players represented include greats such as "Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Chief Bender, Christy Mathewson, Connie Mack, Frank Chance, Hughie Jennings, Johnny Evers, Roger Bresnahan [and] Cy Young."

The AP reports that the family is "evenly dividing the cards and the money" among 20 cousins" named in the will of an aunt who lived in the house until her death last October.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/11/156599758/holy-cow-family-finds-baseball-card-collection-that-may-fetch-3-million
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:00 am
@firefly,
I saw that on the news last night and was amazed as the trading cards were in protected sleeves and perserved in pristine condition. I'd call that the collector's find of the century.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:33 am
@Ragman,
arrrgh...I meant preserved.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:54 am
@Ragman,
It is an amazing find. What a legacy that man left to his family, and to the collectors who will be happy to own those treasures.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 12:35 pm
@firefly,
Were I in that family, I'd be dancing in the streets.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:14 pm
@Ragman,

when i was a kid, i filled up a shoe-box with topps cards.
doubt they're worth much more than the paper they were printed on, but i'd sure like to see what's in there.
will look for it next time i visit the folks...

Mark Fidrych rookie card, anyone? Smile
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:19 pm
@Region Philbis,
Bird's the word! $3-$5 value in mint or near-mint (with no signature).
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
there is a bunch of cards I am sorting through this summer for a friend.

the most valuable so far is a Billy Martin rookie card...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 09:12 am
I'll be forwarding that article to my mother, who threw away my collection. She's too smart to blindly fall prey to such motherly cliches, but not in this case.

I shudder to think of that $0.12 Saberhagen rookie card decomposing in some Wisconsin landfill.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:00 am

i wish more players -- hell, pro athletes in general -- were as forthcoming and honest as mr lester...
Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:28 pm
I think Ortiz wants to leave the Red Sox.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks for posting. Lester's candid comments are appreciated.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:48 pm
@Region Philbis,
speaking of mr lester, he got flamed by Pianowski recently...

"Lester's latest mediocre start hit on Tuesday at Fenway Park, a stinker against the White Sox. Lester lasted just four innings, allowing seven hits, six runs. He's now carrying a 4.80 ERA and a 1.39 WHIP, along with a crummy 5-7 record. Lester's O-Rank before the year was a lofty 60; his actual rank right now in the Yahoo! game is 766. What a mess.

Lester's a good example of how a name player in a high-profile city can often be overrated. His career ERA is 3.67 and his career WHIP is 1.30; you're never getting into the Cy Young conversation with those ratios. And heck, his best seasonal ERA is a mere 3.21, and his best seasonal WHIP is an ordinary 1.20. Those aren't trophy-worthy numbers, either."...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/closing-time-jon-lester-big-name-gone-bad-164055015--fantasy.html
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Out of curiosity, how good is he compared to other #3 starters?

IMHO, his stats aren't the issue of concern to me as I'm not a fantasy league player. It's his inability toget to the 6th inning w/o leaving a mess behind that concerns me.