The Baseball Thread

Gargamel

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 01:10 pm
Damn, Doug Melvin was a busy GM today. The Brew Crew sent Hardy to the minors, promoted much talked about speedster Escobar, cut Bill Hall and ate the 12 million he was owed, and fired pitching coach Castro and promoted AAA pitching coach and former Brewer ace Chris Bosio.

I feel good about most of this. Hardy's batting average was misleading, as his BAIP suggested some bad luck. On the other hand, the Crew can certainly afford to lose some power and add some speed, as they've done with Escobar. I feel sorry for Bill Hall, but this is really good news for the team. He's been awful for two years now. Castro? Well, it ain't easy to turn **** to gold.

Now that it looks like Melvin is serious about shaking things up, Mike Cameron, Corey Hart, and Hardy all seem like the obvious bargaining chips for getting a real goddamn pitcher on the team.

So, uh, that was for all the A2K Brewer fans, aka myself.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 01:42 pm
Next Meeting of the A2K Brew Crew Fan Club
will be Friday @ 2:30 in the downstairs broom closet.
Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:41 pm
@George,
Brew-mm closet? As in the Brew-crew get swept again?
Oops that's what the Yanks did to Sawx. Humbly, I walk away.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:20 pm

youk & porcello g0t 5 games each and were fined, as was edwin jackson.
the sawx decided to get it over with and not appeal...
jespah

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 03:34 am
@Region Philbis,
Pedro's back.
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:17 am
@jespah,
Pedro was pitching OK. Hed had a 92-93 mph fastball and changed speeds well. Considering this is the healthiest he's been in the last 2 years, he did great. Only gave up 7 hits, walked 1 and struck out 5. I just heard on ESPN that he threw 64% of his 99 pitches for strikes...and mostly with off-speed stuff. His fastabll is not quite up to par yet with location.

All-in-all, I had love to have him on my team down the stretch run as a thrird or fourth starter and in the playoffs. He really knows how to keep his head under pressure - a big boon to the younger players. Phillies will not get hurt. Hell, it only cost them $1m with this gamble.
Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:15 am
@Ragman,
I think that's a fair assessment of post-roid Pedro (yeah, I said it). I suppose 3 runs in 5 innings is just fine if your offense is averaging, what, 7 runs per game?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 11:54 am
@Gargamel,

that skinny dude on the 'roids?

i always attributed his drop off to shoulder woes, which gave rise to other nagging injuries... but i spoze nobody who played in the 'roid era is above suspicion...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:35 am
@Gargamel,
The effective MLB starter purpose is to keep his team in the game. Giving up 3 runs in 5 innings is adequate to good. Give the guy some credit. I watched the whole game. The trend for MLB starters typically is 6 or 7 innings and he lasted 5. So I'd consider that pretty damend good after the long lay-off. Proof will be down the stretch.

I don't know if Pedro used any PED. He didn't have the bulked-up look and his personality and behavior was by far not showing any 'roid rage' (ala Roger Clemens). My guess would be no.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:52 pm

big 2-out hit by V-Mart tonight... clutch.
sawx bringing back alex gonzo to shore up the middle infield D...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:40 am

rangers brought I-Rod back, to back-up catch...
cards looking to sign smoltzie...
Gargamel

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:49 am
@Region Philbis,
God I hope the Cards sign Smoltz. I'd love to see him start against the Phillies in the playoffs and just completely blow it. Then I would like to see the Phillies lose to the Rockies, the conteder I hate the least at this point.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:04 pm
@Gargamel,
Quote:
I'd love to see him start against the Phillies in the playoffs and just completely blow it.
from what we saw of him, that is a likely scenario...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 05:20 am

sawx took care of bizniss in Tranna... tonight resume battle with them damn yanx @ fenway...
Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:56 am
@Region Philbis,
wow. that game sucked...badly.
jespah

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 08:19 am
@Ragman,
It was painful; the only thing that was interesting was the marriage performed during the 7th inning stretch. I couldn't find an actual pic of the happy couple (they both wore white Red Sox jerseys; she had a white cap with a veil in the back and the preacher wore a red jersey), but this is an idea, although the bride from yesterday did not take batting practice:
http://www.unionleader.com/uploads/media-items/2009/august/090802bride_200px.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 08:34 am
@Ragman,

when your team scores 11 runs, you expect to win... Evil or Very Mad
hopefully tazawa's off-speed junk will baffle those heat-seeking bats today...
Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
yea..so why am I biting my nails? Embarrassed

Nice snag by Pedroia to end the 8th!
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 04:17 pm
@Ragman,

nichi-san showed poise, getting out of a few jams.
burnett's "why? why?" after papi's dinger was priceless.
after all that scoring, a good ol' fashioned pitcher's duel would be a welcome site tonite...

how bad are the mets this year?
they had the tying run on base, no outs in the 9th... but francoer lined out into an unassisted triple play to end the game, 9-7...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:02 pm
Wild Billy Wagner is now a Red Sock.

Papelbon says he's fine widdit, but one wonders...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mets-redsoxtrade&prov=ap&type=lgns