The Baseball Thread

Kolyo

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 08:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

yup... francona was treated the same way in 2011...

Hey, maybe the Indians will be dumb enough to fire him, and we can have him back.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 10:39 pm
The Yankees started the ALCS the same way as the ALDS.

So...

They have the Astros right where they want them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 10:53 pm
@Kolyo,
If it were me I would prefer they win a few. Not that I am pulling for that.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 06:23 am
@edgarblythe,
Go 'Stros. Beat those Yankees like a rented mule.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 10:14 am
@Ragman,
I believe Monday's will be the pivotal game. Maybe not.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 06:47 am

separated at birth...

https://i.imgur.com/pX5r466.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dDSezJ1.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 01:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
Well played NY! Well played! #slowbegrudgingclap
https://i.imgur.com/ImCioKh.jpg
ESPN on Facebook
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 02:36 pm
Well, if the Astros end up not taking it, the Yanks are my second favorite team. So I would not be as unhappy as most Astros fans.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 10:12 am
Quote:
Big news, MLB fans!

There's reportedly a "growing consensus" around Major League Baseball that there will be
an expansion ​to 32 teams, leading to major realignment and adjustments to the schedule.

The two leading cities for expansion are Montreal and Portland, and if this happened,
the schedule would go from 162 games to 156 games.
(source)
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
<Shrug> There goes the neighborhood!

Of course, shortening the season was an idea whose time has come. This possibility is a movement in the right direction as the season has been far too long for far too long. Playing the World Series with the chances of snow and very cold weather is less-than-ideal. Starting the season later would also be smart as the northern and northeastern cities are still too cold for the first 2-3 weeks (or more) of the year.

The minor effect on the pitching and hitting records (HR, hitting avg, ERA,
W- L stats) will have an asterisk as they do for the 154 game-seasons of the past. No biggie!

As for expanding to Montreal ...
Montrealers historically are not big baseball fans. Plus then there's that cold weather. Putting a team in Montreal is still not a good idea. The team had failed there when they had the Expos (1969-2004). What has changed now since the Expos left town ?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 09:59 pm
Astros even the series. Tomorrow tells the tale.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 09:09 pm
7th inning. Got my fingers, toes and nostrils crossed.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ears and eyes, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 09:25 pm
A team that beats both Red Sox and Yankees in the same playoffs is already a champion, regardless of who wins the world series.
Kolyo

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 09:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Next up for the Astros...the best team money could buy.

(Last time I checked, the Dodgers had the biggest payroll in baseball. )
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 09:52 pm
@Kolyo,
I make no predictions, re the Dodgers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 05:44 am
When I was a boy, broadcast companies did not have a national network and there were no local TV stations until I was twelve. I never read the sports pages (mostly read the comics) and listened to radio for the music (daytime) and entertainment programs such as the Great Gildersleve and The Lone Ranger. So, the baseball news I heard was extremely limited. The only real buzz was for the N Y Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers and occasionally I heard about Willie Mays hitting homers. With such dazzling stars as Mantle, Berra and the like, it was natural for me to become a Yankees fan. And I have been a Yankees fan ever since. The only team I love more is the Astros. I am extremely gratified that within my lifetime a World Series championship may be within their grasp.
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I appreciate your love of an iconic sports franchise that produced amazing HOF players as well as perennial champions and great winning trading.

However, as a diehard Red Sox fan, I confess to a certain amount of glee to see their illumination from the playoffs. The fact that the Astros did it makes me want to root big time for them. Dodgers seem like a juggernaut, but you never know.

GO ‘Stros
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 10:57 am
@Ragman,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/741931892655173/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 11:48 am
The Doggers are flesh and blood. I feel confident the Stros can beat them at home. It's the away games where I wonder.
0 Replies